win2000 to XP

BxZ

win2000 to XP
I am finally making the leap from win2000 to xp. I have hesitated as long as
possible because of everything I've heard about registration problems
(non-authentic version, need to buy new copy of xp, etc). Plus I just
haven't needed to up until now.

I have a couple complications:
1) I don't think I have a legal copy of win2000 to begin with, and
2) I plan to upgrade my computer next year with a new motherboard/cpu and
probably new drives.

What I need to know is, if I buy a version of xp now, will I have to buy
another one next year when I upgrade? Does this apply to OEM and retail
versions both? What about XP Home only working with win98 and winME? Also,
should I get the full version instead of the upgrade?
Any help would be appreciated.

Re: win2000 to XP
We're all about Windows Updates here, not Windows upgrades. Try posting in
WinXP General newsgroup instead, please.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

BxZ wrote:
> I am finally making the leap from win2000 to xp. I have hesitated as long
> as
> possible because of everything I've heard about registration problems
> (non-authentic version, need to buy new copy of xp, etc). Plus I just
> haven't needed to up until now.
>
> I have a couple complications:
> 1) I don't think I have a legal copy of win2000 to begin with, and
> 2) I plan to upgrade my computer next year with a new motherboard/cpu and
> probably new drives.
>
> What I need to know is, if I buy a version of xp now, will I have to buy
> another one next year when I upgrade? Does this apply to OEM and retail
> versions both? What about XP Home only working with win98 and winME? Also,
> should I get the full version instead of the upgrade?
> Any help would be appreciated.

TaurArian

RE: win2000 to XP
The decision has already been made for you -
http://blogs.technet.com/lifecycle/a...june-30th.aspx

You may have to look at Vista perhaps a computer with vista already
installed rather than trying the upgrade approach.

BTW - wrong newsgroup, this is Windows Updates not Upgrades.

--

--------------------------------
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008

"BxZ" wrote:

> I am finally making the leap from win2000 to xp. I have hesitated as long as
> possible because of everything I've heard about registration problems
> (non-authentic version, need to buy new copy of xp, etc). Plus I just
> haven't needed to up until now.
>
> I have a couple complications:
> 1) I don't think I have a legal copy of win2000 to begin with, and
> 2) I plan to upgrade my computer next year with a new motherboard/cpu and
> probably new drives.
>
> What I need to know is, if I buy a version of xp now, will I have to buy
> another one next year when I upgrade? Does this apply to OEM and retail
> versions both? What about XP Home only working with win98 and winME? Also,
> should I get the full version instead of the upgrade?
> Any help would be appreciated.

TaurArian

Re: win2000 to XP
Be kind Robear, he/she is a little behind the times.
K-

--------------------------------
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008
Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> We're all about Windows Updates here, not Windows upgrades. Try posting in
> WinXP General newsgroup instead, please.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> BxZ wrote:
> > I am finally making the leap from win2000 to xp. I have hesitated as long
> > as
> > possible because of everything I've heard about registration problems
> > (non-authentic version, need to buy new copy of xp, etc). Plus I just
> > haven't needed to up until now.
> >
> > I have a couple complications:
> > 1) I don't think I have a legal copy of win2000 to begin with, and
> > 2) I plan to upgrade my computer next year with a new motherboard/cpu and
> > probably new drives.
> >
> > What I need to know is, if I buy a version of xp now, will I have to buy
> > another one next year when I upgrade? Does this apply to OEM and retail
> > versions both? What about XP Home only working with win98 and winME? Also,
> > should I get the full version instead of the upgrade?
> > Any help would be appreciated.

VanguardLH

Re: win2000 to XP
"BxZ" wrote in

> I am finally making the leap from win2000 to xp. I have hesitated as long as
> possible because of everything I've heard about registration problems
> (non-authentic version, need to buy new copy of xp, etc). Plus I just
> haven't needed to up until now.
>
> I have a couple complications:
> 1) I don't think I have a legal copy of win2000 to begin with, and

Then you cannot upgrade. An upgrade version requires a legitimate prior
version. You will have to buy a full retail version of Windows XP. You
could buy an OEM version but OEM versions don't do upgrades. OEM
versions wipe the partition and lay down a fresh copy of the OS (which I
always do anyway so any corruption and pollution from the old OS
instance doesn't screw up the new install).

> 2) I plan to upgrade my computer next year with a new motherboard/cpu and
> probably new drives.

Since you are buying hardware, buy the OEM version of Windows XP along
with it. The OEM version requires that you buy qualifying hardware.
VanguardLH

Re: win2000 to XP
"TaurArian" wrote in

> The decision has already been made for you -
> http://blogs.technet.com/lifecycle/a...june-30th.aspx
>
> You may have to look at Vista perhaps a computer with vista already
> installed rather than trying the upgrade approach.
>
> BTW - wrong newsgroup, this is Windows Updates not Upgrades.

Microsoft ceasing support of Windows XP will not make the inventory of
Windows XP discs suddenly vaporize. How long ago did Microsoft yank
support from Windows 98? Yet you can still buy an install CD for it
(http://www.viosoftware.com/Windows+98/).

Another approach is to buy Windows Vista and use the downgrade rights to
instead install Windows XP (Google for how to not bother with any Vista
install and start with the Windows XP install and how to slide in the
registration key after the install).
realcestmoi

Re: win2000 to XP
Hi there,

Best is to go fow Win XP it will give you a much better performance than
Vista.

Best regards,
Michel Denie

news:IqCdnTMLf8uSFNLVnZ2dnUVZ_ovinZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> "BxZ" wrote in
>
>> I am finally making the leap from win2000 to xp. I have hesitated as long
>> as
>> possible because of everything I've heard about registration problems
>> (non-authentic version, need to buy new copy of xp, etc). Plus I just
>> haven't needed to up until now.
>>
>> I have a couple complications:
>> 1) I don't think I have a legal copy of win2000 to begin with, and

> Then you cannot upgrade. An upgrade version requires a legitimate prior
> version. You will have to buy a full retail version of Windows XP. You
> could buy an OEM version but OEM versions don't do upgrades. OEM
> versions wipe the partition and lay down a fresh copy of the OS (which I
> always do anyway so any corruption and pollution from the old OS
> instance doesn't screw up the new install).
>
>> 2) I plan to upgrade my computer next year with a new motherboard/cpu and
>> probably new drives.

> Since you are buying hardware, buy the OEM version of Windows XP along
> with it. The OEM version requires that you buy qualifying hardware.

BxZ

Re: win2000 to XP
> You could buy an OEM version but OEM versions don't do upgrades.

Do you mean update? Or do you mean upgrading your hardware? It would make
sense for me to buy an OEM since I built the computer myself, but not if I
have to buy a new copy every time I upgrade my hardware. Who would buy
that??!

> > 2) I plan to upgrade my computer next year with a new motherboard/cpu and
> > probably new drives.

> Since you are buying hardware, buy the OEM version of Windows XP along
> with it. The OEM version requires that you buy qualifying hardware.

I'm not sure I understand about qualifying hardware. The problem is that I
need XP now, but not the new hardware and I don't want to have to buy two
separate copies of Windows if I can help it.

I appreciate everyone's help. I do realize now that this forum is for Vista
only. Sorry. And it had not occured to me to differentiate between update and
upgrade. For me, an update WOULD be an upgrade. Thanks.

VanguardLH

Re: win2000 to XP
"BxZ" wrote in

>> You could buy an OEM version but OEM versions don't do upgrades.

> Do you mean update?

No, I meant UPGRADE, as in upgrading a prior version of the operating
system (because that is what you are intending to install).

A full retail version of Windows will let you choose to do a fresh
install (wipe and install) or to perform an upgrade (of an existing
install of a prior version of Windows). An upgrade version of Windows
will only let you upgrade an existing install of a prior version of
Windows, or it will let you do a fresh install of that version of
Windows if you have the installation media for the prior version. An
OEM version will not upgrade from a prior version of Windows. An OEM
version will do a full fresh install of Windows.

> Or do you mean upgrading your hardware? It would make
> sense for me to buy an OEM since I built the computer myself, but not if I
> have to buy a new copy every time I upgrade my hardware. Who would buy
> that??!

The OEM license sticks with the first *computer* on which you install
it. OEM versions do not preclude you from upgrading the hardware on
that computer.

If your definition of "upgrade" for hardware means getting a NEW
computer (and leaving the OS on the old computer) then, yes, you would
need a new OEM version. However, if you get a retail version of
Windows, you must uninstall or wipe it off the old computer if you want
to move it to another computer. You only have 1 license with the retail
version and it can be installed on only one computer at a time.

>>> 2) I plan to upgrade my computer next year with a new motherboard/cpu and
>>> probably new drives.

>> Since you are buying hardware, buy the OEM version of Windows XP along
>> with it. The OEM version requires that you buy qualifying hardware.

> I'm not sure I understand about qualifying hardware. The problem is that I
> need XP now, but not the new hardware and I don't want to have to buy two
> separate copies of Windows if I can help it.

Then buy the retail version of Windows XP now. You cannot buy an
upgrade version of Windows XP because you have nothing from which to
upgrade. You will need a full retail version, NOT an upgrade retail
version.

When you get your new computer, and to continue using the license for
this full retail version of Windows XP that you buy now, you will need
to uninstall or wipe Windows XP from your old computer. You would have
1 license of Windows XP. You'll have to decide on what ONE computer
where you want it installed.
Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: win2000 to XP
VanguardLH wrote:

> Then buy the retail version of Windows XP now. You cannot buy an
> upgrade version of Windows XP because you have nothing from which to
> upgrade. You will need a full retail version, NOT an upgrade retail
> version.

I'd check the prices first. If you can buy OEM, you may find it's cheaper to
buy two OEM copies than one retail copy.

Harry.