Re: Any way to get this to install ?

[X-post to WU newsgroup, since you MULTIPOSTED there, too!]

Post the complete error message(s) you get when attempting the install.

Does it install successfully via Windows Update?

How and when was SP3 installed on the problem machine? Was a beta build of
SP3 ever installed on that machine?

(if any)? Were any of these applications running when SP3 was installed?
....when you attempted to install KB950759?

How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server
Update Services installation issues:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602

1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section of
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527

2. You cannot install some updates or programs
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

3a. Check Windowsupdate.log (%windir%\Windowsupdate.log) for errors
associated with the download/install.

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1122
and/or go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and Support
link in left pane > Solve problems on your own.

4. Windows Update Checklist:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/updtcl.htm

5. Windows Update-specific newsgroup:

Archive of Windows Update newsgroup:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/....windowsupdate

===========================

Support for Windows Update:

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB950759).

LOOK! => If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE,
call the above number and ask to be transferred to the Consumer IE7 queue
(which is 47830).
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Paul wrote:
> KB950759
>
> Wont install on the other PC here, it says the files in
> the package arent compatible.
>
> BUT, it installs fine on this PC.
>
> Both have the same version of IE and XP (SP3)
>
> So, any ideas on WHY it wont install?
>
> It still appears in the shield on the taskbar, but it still wont install.
> Whether I download the file manually, or download the update from within
> the
> shield.
>
> Any info appreciated
>
> Thanx

Paul

Re: Any way to get this to install ?
I havent tried the WU site yet I'll try that now

But it wont install from the shield as in my previous post, or if I download
it manually then install it.

Nope I have never installed (or used) any beta version of SP3, on either of
these, only the final version of SP3.(which was slipstreamed).

SP3 has only been installed on both of these, since Jan this year

Avast is installed but I disabled it before installing ALL of the updates
that came out today

I have no firewall besides XP's firewall

Defender isnt installed either.

Sorry for the crosspost. I posted it in this NG, but then realised the WU NG
may have been the right NG to post it in.

> [X-post to WU newsgroup, since you MULTIPOSTED there, too!]
>
> Post the complete error message(s) you get when attempting the install.
>
> Does it install successfully via Windows Update?
>
> How and when was SP3 installed on the problem machine? Was a beta build
> of
> SP3 ever installed on that machine?
>
> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? What
> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party
> firewall
> (if any)? Were any of these applications running when SP3 was installed?
> ...when you attempted to install KB950759?

> How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server
> Update Services installation issues:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602
>
> 1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section
> of
> http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527
>
> 2. You cannot install some updates or programs
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798
>
> 3a. Check Windowsupdate.log (%windir%\Windowsupdate.log) for errors
> associated with the download/install.
>
> How to read the Windowsupdate.log file
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093
>
> 3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1122
> and/or go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and
> Support
> link in left pane > Solve problems on your own.
>
> 4. Windows Update Checklist:
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/updtcl.htm
>
> 5. Windows Update-specific newsgroup:
>
> Archive of Windows Update newsgroup:
> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/....windowsupdate
>
> ===========================

> Support for Windows Update:
>
> For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY
> in
> security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is
> related
> to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB950759).
>
> LOOK! => If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE,
> call the above number and ask to be transferred to the Consumer IE7 queue
> (which is 47830).
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> Paul wrote:
>> KB950759
>>
>> Wont install on the other PC here, it says the files in
>> the package arent compatible.
>>
>> BUT, it installs fine on this PC.
>>
>> Both have the same version of IE and XP (SP3)
>>
>> So, any ideas on WHY it wont install?
>>
>> It still appears in the shield on the taskbar, but it still wont install.
>> Whether I download the file manually, or download the update from within
>> the
>> shield.
>>
>> Any info appreciated
>>
>> Thanx

Paul

Re: Any way to get this to install ?
Same thing on the WU site

The log shows error 0x8007f0f1

I did a check in google for this error, some
sites said to uninstall SP3 to go back to SP2

(Well obviously I cant because SP3 was slipstreamed).

And another site said to reinstall IE 7 (which I did).

This fixed it and the updated installed fine.

So, somehow, I dont think slipstreaming IE7 with SP3
is a good idea. It can screw things up

I may have to make another slipstreamed cd, with SP3 and WMP11.

And install IE 7 and the IE updates AFTER
I install XP next time

Thanx for the info PA

"Paul" <noone@home.com> wrote in message news:484f08f1@news01.wxnz.net...
> [...]
>>
>> LOOK! => If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE,
>> call the above number and ask to be transferred to the Consumer IE7 queue
>> (which is 47830).
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> Paul wrote:
>>> KB950759
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
>>>
>>> Wont install on the other PC here, it says the files in
>>> the package arent compatible.
>>>
>>> BUT, it installs fine on this PC.
>>>
>>> Both have the same version of IE and XP (SP3)
>>>
>>> So, any ideas on WHY it wont install?
>>>
>>> It still appears in the shield on the taskbar, but it still wont
>>> install.
>>> Whether I download the file manually, or download the update from within

Who ever told you that slipstreaming IE7 was a good, let alone functional,
thing to do?

Paul wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> ===========================
>>>
>>> Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
>>> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527
>>>
>>> Support for Windows Update:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusupport
>>>
>>> For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY
>>> in
>>> the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
>>> subsidiary. There is no-charge for support calls that are associated
>>> with
>>> security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is
>>> related
>>> to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB950759).
>>>
>>> LOOK! => If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE,
>>> call the above number and ask to be transferred to the Consumer IE7

Alias

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Who ever told you that slipstreaming IE7 was a good, let alone
> functional, thing to do?

Yeah, look what happened when Microsoft did that with Vista ...

Alias

> Paul wrote:
>> Same thing on the WU site
>>
>> The log shows error 0x8007f0f1
>>
>> I did a check in google for this error, some
>> sites said to uninstall SP3 to go back to SP2
>>
>> (Well obviously I cant because SP3 was slipstreamed).
>>
>> And another site said to reinstall IE 7 (which I did).
>>
>> This fixed it and the updated installed fine.
>>
>> So, somehow, I dont think slipstreaming IE7 with SP3
>> is a good idea. It can screw things up
>>
>> I may have to make another slipstreamed cd, with SP3 and WMP11.
>>
>> And install IE 7 and the IE updates AFTER
>> I install XP next time
>>
>> Thanx for the info PA
>>

>> "Paul" <noone@home.com> wrote in message news:484f08f1@news01.wxnz.net...
>>> I havent tried the WU site yet I'll try that now
>>>
>>> But it wont install from the shield as in my previous post, or if I
>>> download it manually then install it.
>>>
>>> Nope I have never installed (or used) any beta version of SP3, on either
>>> of these, only the final version of SP3.(which was slipstreamed).
>>>
>>> SP3 has only been installed on both of these, since Jan this year
>>>
>>> Avast is installed but I disabled it before installing ALL of the
>>> updates
>>> that came out today
>>>
>>> I have no firewall besides XP's firewall
>>>
>>> Defender isnt installed either.
>>>
>>> Sorry for the crosspost. I posted it in this NG, but then realised
>>> the WU
>>> NG may have been the right NG to post it in.

Re: Any way to get this to install ?
<guffaw>

Alias wrote:
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> Who ever told you that slipstreaming IE7 was a good, let alone
>> functional, thing to do?

> Yeah, look what happened when Microsoft did that with Vista ...
>
> Alias
>>
>> Paul wrote:
>>> Same thing on the WU site
>>>
>>> The log shows error 0x8007f0f1
>>>
>>> I did a check in google for this error, some
>>> sites said to uninstall SP3 to go back to SP2
>>>
>>> (Well obviously I cant because SP3 was slipstreamed).
>>>
>>> And another site said to reinstall IE 7 (which I did).
>>>
>>> This fixed it and the updated installed fine.
>>>
>>> So, somehow, I dont think slipstreaming IE7 with SP3
>>> is a good idea. It can screw things up
>>>
>>> I may have to make another slipstreamed cd, with SP3 and WMP11.
>>>
>>> And install IE 7 and the IE updates AFTER
>>> I install XP next time
>>>
>>> Thanx for the info PA

TaurArian

Re: Any way to get this to install ?
<grin> Good one Alias.
--

--------------------------------
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008

"Alias" wrote:

> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> > Who ever told you that slipstreaming IE7 was a good, let alone
> > functional, thing to do?

> Yeah, look what happened when Microsoft did that with Vista ...
>
> Alias

Paul

Re: Any way to get this to install ?
Why not?

Saves you installing IE 7 later.

I managed to do another SS cd, with IE 7
and updates till now, with WMP 11

And it worked this time.

Tried it on another hdd, it installed fine, and the versions are the same,
as what I'm using now.

Well, I wouldnt bother with Vista anyway.

I wouldnt even bother with buying Vista, now or in the future.

"TaurArian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@gmail.com> wrote in message
> <grin> Good one Alias.
> --
>
> --------------------------------
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008
> Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
>

> "Alias" wrote:
>
>> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> > Who ever told you that slipstreaming IE7 was a good, let alone
>> > functional, thing to do?

>> Yeah, look what happened when Microsoft did that with Vista ...
>>
>> Alias

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Paul wrote:

> Why not?

Because it isn't supported. It might work, sometimes, but it might break
sometimes too.

Seriously, it isn't a good idea to mess about with Windows install media if you
aren't following Microsoft's documentation.

Harry.