Windows Update Slowed Down My Machine

Dan B.

Windows Update Slowed Down My Machine
My wife downloaded the latest MS update for XP and now her machine is
extremely slow. Webpages take forever to load and MS Outlook is extremely
slow to load as well.

Anyone else having similar problems? Any idea of how to resolve? Anti
Virus and Firewall software are all showing fine with no infections or
problems so I don't think it's a virus.

Thanks for your help,
Dan
Eddie Bowers [MSFT]

RE: Windows Update Slowed Down My Machine
Did you also upgrade to IE7 at the same time or did you have it already.
I'm wondering if it's the phishing filter that is slowing things down (you
can disable this under tools in IE)

Eddie Bowers
Security Support
Microsoft Corporation

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Windows Update Slowed Down My Machine
Specifically, *which* updates were installed ? Either look in Add/Remove
Programs in the Control Panel or use Event Viewer > System to see which
updates were installed.

Was the system restarted after the updates were installed ?
Was the installed antivirus actively monitoring the system when the
updates were installed ?

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Dan B. wrote:

> My wife downloaded the latest MS update for XP and now her machine is
> extremely slow. Webpages take forever to load and MS Outlook is extremely
> slow to load as well.
>
> Anyone else having similar problems? Any idea of how to resolve? Anti
> Virus and Firewall software are all showing fine with no infections or
> problems so I don't think it's a virus.
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Dan

Re: Windows Update Slowed Down My Machine
What updates were installed, Dan? See the Update History section at
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Dan B. wrote:
> My wife downloaded the latest MS update for XP and now her machine is
> extremely slow. Webpages take forever to load and MS Outlook is extremely
> slow to load as well.
>
> Anyone else having similar problems? Any idea of how to resolve? Anti
> Virus and Firewall software are all showing fine with no infections or
> problems so I don't think it's a virus.
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Dan

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Windows Update Slowed Down My Machine
What's with the 5 minute apart posts ? <w>

MG

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

> What updates were installed, Dan? See the Update History section at
> http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com.

Re: Windows Update Slowed Down My Machine
Eddie's been stalking me, too!

MowGreen [MVP] wrote:
> What's with the 5 minute apart posts ? <w>
>
> MG
>
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>
>> What updates were installed, Dan? See the Update History section at
>> http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com.

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Windows Update Slowed Down My Machine
Must be that " MVP on a stick " pic from the Summit <eg>

MG

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

> Eddie's been stalking me, too!
>
> MowGreen [MVP] wrote:
>
>> What's with the 5 minute apart posts ? <w>
>>
>> MG
>>
>> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>>
>>> What updates were installed, Dan? See the Update History section at
>>> http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com.

Re: Windows Update Slowed Down My Machine
Ooo, baby! Now I *know* I'm not going to any more Summits.

MowGreen [MVP] wrote:
> Must be that " MVP on a stick " pic from the Summit <eg>
>
> MG
>
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>
>> Eddie's been stalking me, too!
>>
>> MowGreen [MVP] wrote:
>>
>>> What's with the 5 minute apart posts ? <w>
>>>
>>> MG

Eddie Bowers [MSFT]

Re: Windows Update Slowed Down My Machine
LOL!

Eddie Bowers
Security Support
Microsoft Corporation