Service Pack 3 for Windows XP - Installation Verification

JerryDinN.E.

Service Pack 3 for Windows XP - Installation Verification
I just installed SP3 for WinXP... I think. When I click Properties of "My
Computer" the General tab Displays: "Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002
Service Pack 3"
So far (about an hour after install) all seems to be running okay, but I
experienced some "weirdness" during the installation process. I cancelled
the installation twice due to interruptions. I then decided to start the
download/installation process this morning, just before leaving for work.
Apparently, power was interrupted and when I returned home the PC was
shut-down. I started it back up, went to Microsoft Update and was shown that
the SP3 update was already downloaded and ready to be installed, so I
proceeded. The process seemed to go okay, at one point, early in the
installation, I received a Copy error, showing that atapi.sys in
"c:windows\sytem32\drivers" could not be copied, I decided to allow the
process to continue without copying this file, the installation continued.
I then left the computer to assist my children with schoolwork. When I
returned, my screensaver was running, when I resumed, the installation window
progress-bar was about 85% complete and the message "Finishing installation:
Cleaning up" was displayed, additionally all of the buttons at the bottom of
the installation window were greyed-out, I waited, about a Half-hour and the
progress bar didn't budge, I then clicked cancel on the other window
(microsoft update installation window, has it's own progress bar, displaying
the message "initializing installaton". Upon doing this I got no response, I
then started my task manager and forced both applications to end. I then
restarted my computer and got a "please wait" message, then another "please
wait" message shown on the Windows xp startup screen...SP3 seemed to be
installing. The computer booted up okay, so I went to Microsoft Update,
viewed my update history and it shows a red "X?" in the status of SP3
download/installation. I assume because I forced the installation to shut
down the way I did that my PC didn't report a successful installation, even
though it seems to have worked.
Is there any way other than looking at the Properties of "MY Computer" that
I can verify that SP3 is properly installed?
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Service Pack 3 for Windows XP - Installation Verification
"JerryDinN.E." <JerryDinNE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just installed SP3 for WinXP... I think. When I click Properties of "My
> Computer" the General tab Displays: "Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002
> Service Pack 3"

> Is there any way other than looking at the Properties of "MY Computer" that
> I can verify that SP3 is properly installed?

If WU/MU/AU doesn't offer it again, you can probably assume it's
"properly installed". <eg>

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Service Pack 3 for Windows XP - Installation Verification
Was the installed antivirus | security suite actively monitoring the
system when SP3 was applied ?
If yes, which AV, please ?

You can check the installation log [svcpack.log] located in WINDOWS to
see if SP3 installed properly or there were any serious error during
it's installation.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

JerryDinN.E. wrote:

> I just installed SP3 for WinXP... I think. When I click Properties of "My
> Computer" the General tab Displays: "Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002
> Service Pack 3"
> So far (about an hour after install) all seems to be running okay, but I
> experienced some "weirdness" during the installation process. I cancelled
> the installation twice due to interruptions. I then decided to start the
> download/installation process this morning, just before leaving for work.
> Apparently, power was interrupted and when I returned home the PC was
> shut-down. I started it back up, went to Microsoft Update and was shown that
> the SP3 update was already downloaded and ready to be installed, so I
> proceeded. The process seemed to go okay, at one point, early in the
> installation, I received a Copy error, showing that atapi.sys in
> "c:windows\sytem32\drivers" could not be copied, I decided to allow the
> process to continue without copying this file, the installation continued.
> I then left the computer to assist my children with schoolwork. When I
> returned, my screensaver was running, when I resumed, the installation window
> progress-bar was about 85% complete and the message "Finishing installation:
> Cleaning up" was displayed, additionally all of the buttons at the bottom of
> the installation window were greyed-out, I waited, about a Half-hour and the
> progress bar didn't budge, I then clicked cancel on the other window
> (microsoft update installation window, has it's own progress bar, displaying
> the message "initializing installaton". Upon doing this I got no response, I
> then started my task manager and forced both applications to end. I then
> restarted my computer and got a "please wait" message, then another "please
> wait" message shown on the Windows xp startup screen...SP3 seemed to be
> installing. The computer booted up okay, so I went to Microsoft Update,
> viewed my update history and it shows a red "X?" in the status of SP3
> download/installation. I assume because I forced the installation to shut
> down the way I did that my PC didn't report a successful installation, even
> though it seems to have worked.
> Is there any way other than looking at the Properties of "MY Computer" that
> I can verify that SP3 is properly installed?

Serge

"JerryDinN.E." wrote:

> Is there any way other than looking at the Properties of "MY Computer" that
> I can verify that SP3 is properly installed?

Shenan Stanley's reply in a previous post might the answer you are looking
for.
Here it is:

Start button --> RUN --> type in:
winver
--> click OK.

What does it say?

Serge
JerryDinN.E.

RE: Service Pack 3 for Windows XP - Installation Verification
Hello Serge, I ran winver, the display window shows: "Version 5.1 (Build
2600.xpsp.080413-2111 : Service Pack 3) Copyright 2007 Microsoft
Corporation", so I guess I can assume that it's installed properly,
regardless of what MS update status/history shows.
Thanks, everyone for the helpful replies!
-Jerry

"Serge" wrote:

> "JerryDinN.E." wrote:
>
> > Is there any way other than looking at the Properties of "MY Computer" that
> > I can verify that SP3 is properly installed?

> Shenan Stanley's reply in a previous post might the answer you are looking
> for.
> Here it is:
>
> Start button --> RUN --> type in:
> winver
> --> click OK.
>
> What does it say?

> Serge

Serge

"JerryDinN.E." wrote:

> Hello Serge, I ran winver, the display window shows: "Version 5.1 (Build
> 2600.xpsp.080413-2111 : Service Pack 3) Copyright 2007 Microsoft
> Corporation", so I guess I can assume that it's installed properly,
> regardless of what MS update status/history shows.
> Thanks, everyone for the helpful replies!
> -Jerry

I am glad that one Shenan Stanley's many replies was put to good use.

Serge