sp3 broke windows update.

me

sp3 broke windows update.
I recently reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled xp home sp2. Upon
updated to sp3 I can no longer use microsoft update to update my system. I
have to search for each failed update and install it manually. Anyone else
having, or better HAD this problem and know a fix? Please HEEEEEEEEEEEEELP.
Linux is looking better and better

Re: sp3 broke windows update.
CrystalBall© sez...

Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP
installation:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

NB: Also applies to clean installs, upgrade installs, and Recovery installs.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

"Alias" wrote:

> me wrote:
> > I recently reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled xp home sp2. Upon
> > updated to sp3 I can no longer use microsoft update to update my system. I
> > have to search for each failed update and install it manually. Anyone else
> > having, or better HAD this problem and know a fix? Please HEEEEEEEEEEEEELP.
> > Linux is looking better and better

> Did you install SP3 right after installing XP? Did you use a CD or Auto
> Update for SP3? Did you do a clean up, chkdsk and defrag between when
> you installed XP and SP3. Finally, did you reboot TWICE after installing
> SP3 and before doing *anything* else?
>
> Alias
> yes service pack 3 went in right after necessary drivers. if i needed to reboot twice i might have missed that part but if i did i guess i missed it twice because i rreinstalled twice. no chdisk defrag was unneccesary clean up? I fully reformatted my drive. there was nothiung left to cleanup

me

Re: sp3 broke windows update.
thank you Pa bear, that fixed it. muchas gracias.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> CrystalBall© sez...
>
> Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from Microsoft
> Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP
> installation:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
>
> NB: Also applies to clean installs, upgrade installs, and Recovery installs.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> me wrote:
> > I recently reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled xp home sp2. Upon
> > updated to sp3 I can no longer use microsoft update to update my system.
> > have to search for each failed update and install it manually. Anyone else
> > having, or better HAD this problem and know a fix? Please
> > HEEEEEEEEEEEEELP.
> > Linux is looking better and better

Re: sp3 broke windows update.
You're welcome and thanks for your feedback!

me wrote:

> "Alias" wrote:
>
>> me wrote:
>>> I recently reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled xp home sp2. Upon
>>> updated to sp3 I can no longer use microsoft update to update my system. I
>>> have to search for each failed update and install it manually. Anyone else
>>> having, or better HAD this problem and know a fix? Please HEEEEEEEEEEEEELP.
>>> Linux is looking better and better

>> Did you install SP3 right after installing XP? Did you use a CD or Auto
>> Update for SP3? Did you do a clean up, chkdsk and defrag between when
>> you installed XP and SP3. Finally, did you reboot TWICE after installing
>> SP3 and before doing *anything* else?
>>
>> Alias
>> yes service pack 3 went in right after necessary drivers.

if i needed to reboot twice i might have missed that part but
if i did i guess i missed it twice because i rreinstalled twice.
no chdisk defrag was unneccesary clean up? I fully reformatted my drive.
there was nothiung left to cleanup

I mean clean up after installing XP. The drive will be fragmented as well.

Alias
VanguardLH

Re: sp3 broke windows update.
"me" wrote in <news:2B7EC152-2AD8-4B52-8932-F33AD2B8DC44@microsoft.com>:

> I recently reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled xp home sp2. Upon
> updated to sp3 I can no longer use microsoft update to update my system. I
> have to search for each failed update and install it manually. Anyone else
> having, or better HAD this problem and know a fix? Please HEEEEEEEEEEEEELP.
> Linux is looking better and better

"can no longer use"
So, did you get an error code on the failure?
Eddie Bowers [MSFT]

Re: sp3 broke windows update.
There are some manual steps you can try, but instead just try my tool:
http://www.codeplex.com/aureset

If that doesn't work, let me know what errors your still getting.

Eddie Bowers
Security Support
Microsoft Corporation