Windows update

dell2350

Windows update
I posted on here before, but even though I bookmarked my page, I still can't
find my original post. My question is, If I go to the windows update website,
and I do either a express or a custom scan, I get the following error message:

Microsoft Update
The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
trying to view. The options below might help you solve the problem.

For self help options:
Frequently asked questions
Find solutions
Windows update newsgroup

For assisted support options:
Microsoft online assisted support (no cost for windows update issues)
Read more about steps you can take to resolve this problem (error number
0x8024402C) yourself.

Something is preventing me from getting windows updates. If anyone has find
my orginal post and let me know where it is, I'll be happy to get rid of this
one.

Re: Windows update
See these archived, previous discussions:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...rt=0&scoring=d

Or see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/900936
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

dell2350 wrote:
> I posted on here before, but even though I bookmarked my page, I still
> can't
> find my original post. My question is, If I go to the windows update
> website, and I do either a express or a custom scan, I get the following
> error message:
>
> Microsoft Update
> The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
> trying to view. The options below might help you solve the problem.
>
> For self help options:
> Frequently asked questions
> Find solutions
> Windows update newsgroup
>
> For assisted support options:
> Microsoft online assisted support (no cost for windows update issues)
> Read more about steps you can take to resolve this problem (error number
> 0x8024402C) yourself.
>
> Something is preventing me from getting windows updates. If anyone has
> find
> my orginal post and let me know where it is, I'll be happy to get rid of
> this one.

dell2350

Re: Windows update
I have already done the solution mentioned, however nothing seems to solve
the problem. I'm running windows xp home edition. I'm using comodo firewall,
however if I turn my firewall off, I still can't get windows updates so that
tells me that my firewall is not causing the problem. I never get any prompts
from my firewall when I go to the windows update webste. Would it help if I
went to a HiJackThis form and posted a log there, linking my forum post here?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> See these archived, previous discussions:
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...rt=0&scoring=d
>
> Or see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/900936
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> dell2350 wrote:
> > I posted on here before, but even though I bookmarked my page, I still
> > can't
> > find my original post. My question is, If I go to the windows update
> > website, and I do either a express or a custom scan, I get the following
> > error message:
> >
> > Microsoft Update
> > The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
> > trying to view. The options below might help you solve the problem.
> >
> > For self help options:
> > Frequently asked questions
> > Find solutions
> > Windows update newsgroup
> >
> > For assisted support options:
> > Microsoft online assisted support (no cost for windows update issues)
> > Read more about steps you can take to resolve this problem (error number
> > 0x8024402C) yourself.
> >
> > Something is preventing me from getting windows updates. If anyone has
> > find
> > my orginal post and let me know where it is, I'll be happy to get rid of
> > this one.

Re: Windows update
Let's rule out some other settings first. Try...

You may receive an error message when you search for available updates on
the Windows Update Web site or on the Microsoft Update Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883821

<QP>
0x8024402C or 0x8024502d error codes

To resolve these errors, remove characters from the proxy exception list,
and then clear the proxy cache. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Open Internet Explorer.
2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
3. Click the Connections tab, click LAN Settings, and then click Advance.
4. Delete any entry in the Exceptions section.
5. Quit Internet Explorer.
6. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
7. Type the following commands. Press ENTER after each command:

• proxycfg -d
• net stop wuauserv
• net start wuauserv
</QP>

> ...I'm using comodo firewall,
> however if I turn my firewall off, I still can't get windows updates

Make sure that only Comodo or the Windows Firewall is enabled at any given
time.

anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? Was a Norton or McAfee
application ever installed on the machine?
--
~PA Bear

dell2350 wrote:
> I have already done the solution mentioned, however nothing seems to solve
> the problem. I'm running windows xp home edition. I'm using comodo
> firewall,
> however if I turn my firewall off, I still can't get windows updates so
> that
> tells me that my firewall is not causing the problem. I never get any
> prompts from my firewall when I go to the windows update webste. Would it
> help if I went to a HiJackThis form and posted a log there, linking my
> forum post here?
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> See these archived, previous discussions:
>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...rt=0&scoring=d
>>
>> Or see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/900936
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> dell2350 wrote:
>>> I posted on here before, but even though I bookmarked my page, I still
>>> can't
>>> find my original post. My question is, If I go to the windows update
>>> website, and I do either a express or a custom scan, I get the following
>>> error message:

<snip>
>>> Read more about steps you can take to resolve this problem (error number
>>> 0x8024402C) yourself.

dell2350

Re: Windows update

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Let's rule out some other settings first. Try...
>
> You may receive an error message when you search for available updates on
> the Windows Update Web site or on the Microsoft Update Web site:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883821
>
> <QP>
> 0x8024402C or 0x8024502d error codes
>
> To resolve these errors, remove characters from the proxy exception list,
> and then clear the proxy cache. To do this, follow these steps:
> 1. Open Internet Explorer.
> 2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
> 3. Click the Connections tab, click LAN Settings, and then click Advance.
> 4. Delete any entry in the Exceptions section.
> 5. Quit Internet Explorer.
> 6. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
> 7. Type the following commands. Press ENTER after each command:
>
> • proxycfg -d
> • net stop wuauserv
> • net start wuauserv
> </QP>
>
> > ...I'm using comodo firewall,
> > however if I turn my firewall off, I still can't get windows updates

> Make sure that only Comodo or the Windows Firewall is enabled at any given
> time.
>
> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? What
> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? Was a Norton or McAfee
> application ever installed on the machine?
> --
> ~PA Bear
>

> dell2350 wrote:
> > I have already done the solution mentioned, however nothing seems to solve
> > the problem. I'm running windows xp home edition. I'm using comodo
> > firewall,
> > however if I turn my firewall off, I still can't get windows updates so
> > that
> > tells me that my firewall is not causing the problem. I never get any
> > prompts from my firewall when I go to the windows update webste. Would it
> > help if I went to a HiJackThis form and posted a log there, linking my
> > forum post here?
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> See these archived, previous discussions:
> >> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...rt=0&scoring=d
> >>
> >> Or see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/900936
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

> <snip>

> I did go to start and then run, but the commands don't solve my issue. The windows firewall is turned off at this time. I'm using AVG 8.0. I don't use Norton or Mcafee. Neither of these have been installed.

Re: Windows update
[Please continue to top-post your replies to avoid confusion.]

If you want to pursue the possibility that an infection is causing this
problem:

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
(http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use.
It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware with
assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html,
http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums for review

dell2350 wrote:
>> I did go to start and then run, but the commands don't solve my issue.
>> The
>> windows firewall is turned off at this time. I'm using AVG 8.0. I don't
>> use Norton or Mcafee. Neither of these have been installed.
>>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Let's rule out some other settings first. Try...
>>
>> You may receive an error message when you search for available updates on
>> the Windows Update Web site or on the Microsoft Update Web site:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883821
>>
>> <QP>
>> 0x8024402C or 0x8024502d error codes
>>
>> To resolve these errors, remove characters from the proxy exception list,
>> and then clear the proxy cache. To do this, follow these steps:
>> 1. Open Internet Explorer.
>> 2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
>> 3. Click the Connections tab, click LAN Settings, and then click Advance.
>> 4. Delete any entry in the Exceptions section.
>> 5. Quit Internet Explorer.
>> 6. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
>> 7. Type the following commands. Press ENTER after each command:
>>
>> • proxycfg -d
>> • net stop wuauserv
>> • net start wuauserv
>> </QP>
>>
>>> ...I'm using comodo firewall,
>>> however if I turn my firewall off, I still can't get windows updates

>> Make sure that only Comodo or the Windows Firewall is enabled at any
>> given
>> time.
>>
>> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? What
>> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? Was a Norton or McAfee
>> application ever installed on the machine?
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>

>> dell2350 wrote:
>>> I have already done the solution mentioned, however nothing seems to
>>> solve
>>> the problem. I'm running windows xp home edition. I'm using comodo
>>> firewall,
>>> however if I turn my firewall off, I still can't get windows updates so
>>> that
>>> tells me that my firewall is not causing the problem. I never get any
>>> prompts from my firewall when I go to the windows update webste. Would
>>> it
>>> help if I went to a HiJackThis form and posted a log there, linking my
>>> forum post here?

>> <snip>

dell2350

Re: Windows update
I'm thinking that there are two possibilities to what has caused my issue,
either something has infected my machine or windows is messed up. If I have
to reinstall windows, I can. I hope that I don't have to, but if I
reinstalled both windows and all my other software and well as all software
updates, it wouldn't take more then a few hours maximum.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [Please continue to top-post your replies to avoid confusion.]
>
> If you want to pursue the possibility that an infection is causing this
> problem:
>
> Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis log
> to an appropriate forum.
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
> http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_R...:_Introduction
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/

> (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use.
> It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware with
> assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
> http://castlecops.com/forum67.html,
> http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7,
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums for review
> by an expert in such matters, not here.**

> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> dell2350 wrote:
> >> I did go to start and then run, but the commands don't solve my issue.
> >> The
> >> windows firewall is turned off at this time. I'm using AVG 8.0. I don't
> >> use Norton or Mcafee. Neither of these have been installed.
> >>

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Let's rule out some other settings first. Try...
> >>
> >> You may receive an error message when you search for available updates on
> >> the Windows Update Web site or on the Microsoft Update Web site:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883821
> >>
> >> <QP>
> >> 0x8024402C or 0x8024502d error codes
> >>
> >> To resolve these errors, remove characters from the proxy exception list,
> >> and then clear the proxy cache. To do this, follow these steps:
> >> 1. Open Internet Explorer.
> >> 2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
> >> 3. Click the Connections tab, click LAN Settings, and then click Advance.
> >> 4. Delete any entry in the Exceptions section.
> >> 5. Quit Internet Explorer.
> >> 6. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
> >> 7. Type the following commands. Press ENTER after each command:
> >>
> >> • proxycfg -d
> >> • net stop wuauserv
> >> • net start wuauserv
> >> </QP>

> >> Make sure that only Comodo or the Windows Firewall is enabled at any
> >> given
> >> time.
> >>
> >> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? What
> >> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? Was a Norton or McAfee
> >> application ever installed on the machine?
> >> --
> >> ~PA Bear

> >> <snip>

Re: Windows update
A format & reinstall may well resolve the problem, yes. A Repair Install
most likely will not.

If you choose the former, keep this KB article handy because you WILL need
it! => http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
--
~PA Bear

dell2350 wrote:
> I'm thinking that there are two possibilities to what has caused my issue,
> either something has infected my machine or windows is messed up. If I
> have
> to reinstall windows, I can. I hope that I don't have to, but if I
> reinstalled both windows and all my other software and well as all
> software
> updates, it wouldn't take more then a few hours maximum.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> [Please continue to top-post your replies to avoid confusion.]
>>
>> If you want to pursue the possibility that an infection is causing this
>> problem:
>>
>> Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis
>> log to an appropriate forum.
>>
>> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
>> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
>> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
>> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
>> http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_R...:_Introduction
>> http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/
>>
>> When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
>> (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use.
>> It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware with
>> assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
>> http://castlecops.com/forum67.html,
>> http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7,
>> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums for
>> review
>> by an expert in such matters, not here.**
>>
>> If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

dell2350

Re: Windows update
I'm not really that familar with a repair. I just stick with the install, but
thanks for the information about the repair. I haven't yet checked on my
status with the HiJackThis log. I posted on the dell website, however it may
be a few days before I get a response, unless I should post on another
website that would be better.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> A format & reinstall may well resolve the problem, yes. A Repair Install
> most likely will not.
>
> If you choose the former, keep this KB article handy because you WILL need
> it! => http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> dell2350 wrote:
> > I'm thinking that there are two possibilities to what has caused my issue,
> > either something has infected my machine or windows is messed up. If I
> > have
> > to reinstall windows, I can. I hope that I don't have to, but if I
> > reinstalled both windows and all my other software and well as all
> > software
> > updates, it wouldn't take more then a few hours maximum.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> [Please continue to top-post your replies to avoid confusion.]
> >>
> >> If you want to pursue the possibility that an infection is causing this
> >> problem:
> >>
> >> Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis
> >> log to an appropriate forum.
> >>
> >> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> >> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> >> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
> >> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
> >> http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_R...:_Introduction
> >> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> >> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/prevention.htm
> >> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/tshoot.html
> >> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
> >> http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/
> >> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware
> >>
> >> When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
> >> (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use.
> >> It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware with
> >> assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
> >> http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22,
> >> http://castlecops.com/forum67.html,
> >> http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7,
> >> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums for
> >> review
> >> by an expert in such matters, not here.**
> >>
> >> If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
> >> this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local, reputable and
> >> independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA) computer repair shop.
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: Windows update
Care to post a link to your thread in Dell Support Forums (which is not one
of the forums I recommended)?