Windows XP Service Pack 3

SGS

Windows XP Service Pack 3
On installing this update on my Acer Laptop everything runs OK apart from my
secure wireless connection to the Sky router. The router is seen but when I
try to connect to it it cannot find the access codes to go online. I have
re-installed the wireless software and access codes, with the same results.
If I then uninstall SP3, the internet connection works immediately without
any further computer adjustment. What is wrong with the update.
Alan Biddle

Re: Windows XP Service Pack 3
What is wrong is the SP3 breaks some routers, as you have found. MS
is aware of this, and no doubt a fix will be our Real Soon Now. The
manufacturer of you computer or card may also have a fix, so check
their support sites. Since you have a machine which is vulnerable to
this, best to now install SP3 until they have this sorted out.

--
Alan
Alan Biddle

Re: Windows XP Service Pack 3
>>best to now install SP3 until they have this sorted out.

should of course have read "...best to NOT install..."

--
Alan

Re: Windows XP Service Pack 3
e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.

• US:

• CA:

• UK:

• AU:

• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

SGS wrote:
> On installing this update on my Acer Laptop everything runs OK apart from
> my
> secure wireless connection to the Sky router. The router is seen but when
> try to connect to it it cannot find the access codes to go online. I have
> re-installed the wireless software and access codes, with the same
> results.
> If I then uninstall SP3, the internet connection works immediately without
> any further computer adjustment. What is wrong with the update.

Lotika Purkayastha

Re: Windows XP Service Pack 3
I am in India and have a windows XP. I keep getting an update message that
the computer is ready to install XP Service Pack 3. I am a single user and
wish to stop getting this particular message. What should I do?
Lotika

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.
>
> • US:
>
> • CA:
>
> • UK:
>
> • AU:
>
> • Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
> Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> SGS wrote:
> > On installing this update on my Acer Laptop everything runs OK apart from
> > my
> > secure wireless connection to the Sky router. The router is seen but when
> > try to connect to it it cannot find the access codes to go online. I have
> > re-installed the wireless software and access codes, with the same
> > results.
> > If I then uninstall SP3, the internet connection works immediately without
> > any further computer adjustment. What is wrong with the update.

Re: Windows XP Service Pack 3
Please begin a new thread in this newsgroup to ask your questions, Lotika.
Or open a free support incident.

Thank you.

Lotika Purkayastha wrote:
> I am in India and have a windows XP. I keep getting an update message
> that
> the computer is ready to install XP Service Pack 3. I am a single user and
> wish to stop getting this particular message. What should I do?

realcestmoi

Re: Windows XP Service Pack 3
Hi there,

Go to the windows update site and scan for updates and unmark the checkbox
for the update you do not want. ( hide it).

Best regards,
Michel Denie

"Lotika Purkayastha" <Lotika Purkayastha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:FB25AA9F-70ED-4CA2-8A77-62C7F317FA62@microsoft.com...
>I am in India and have a windows XP. I keep getting an update message that
> the computer is ready to install XP Service Pack 3. I am a single user and
> wish to stop getting this particular message. What should I do?
> Lotika
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
>> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
>> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.
>>
>> . US:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
>>
>> . CA:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
>>
>> . UK:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
>>
>> . AU:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
>>
>> . Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 |
>> select
>> Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> SGS wrote:
>> > On installing this update on my Acer Laptop everything runs OK apart
>> > from
>> > my
>> > secure wireless connection to the Sky router. The router is seen but
>> > when
>> > try to connect to it it cannot find the access codes to go online. I
>> > have
>> > re-installed the wireless software and access codes, with the same
>> > results.
>> > If I then uninstall SP3, the internet connection works immediately
>> > without
>> > any further computer adjustment. What is wrong with the update.

Re: Windows XP Service Pack 3
I don't believe WinXP SP3 can be hidden, Michel.

realcestmoi wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Go to the windows update site and scan for updates and unmark the checkbox
> for the update you do not want. ( hide it).
>
> Best regards,
> Michel Denie
>

> "Lotika Purkayastha" <Lotika Purkayastha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> in
> message news:FB25AA9F-70ED-4CA2-8A77-62C7F317FA62@microsoft.com...
>> I am in India and have a windows XP. I keep getting an update message
>> that
>> the computer is ready to install XP Service Pack 3. I am a single user
>> and
>> wish to stop getting this particular message. What should I do?
>> Lotika
>>
>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>
>>> Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
>>> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
>>> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.
>>>
>>> . US:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
>>>
>>> . CA:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
>>>
>>> . UK:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
>>>
>>> . AU:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
>>>
>>> . Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 |
>>> select
>>> Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

realcestmoi

Re: Windows XP Service Pack 3
Helllo PA,

If it is showing up in windows AU it should show up as a critical update on
the windows update website, if not this is a flaw

To be excact I do not know yes or no because I installed all workstations
manually with xp sp3.

Anyway if au is showing the yellow shield with XP Sp3 you can set do not
notify me again but that does not solve a thing because you will be notified
over and over again dispite the fact you choose not to be notified, another
flaw

Best regards,
Michel Denie