SP3 an IE7

MedRxman

SP3 an IE7
I elected not to use IE7 when first available.

Will the update of SP3 automatically install IE7?

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: SP3 an IE7
MedRxman wrote:

> I elected not to use IE7 when first available.
>
> Will the update of SP3 automatically install IE7?

No.

Harry.
TaurArian {MVP}

Re: SP3 an IE7
IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3

You may be interested in the above blog.

--

====================================
TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2008

"MedRxman" <medrxman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I elected not to use IE7 when first available.
>
> Will the update of SP3 automatically install IE7?

Shenan Stanley

Re: SP3 an IE7
MedRxman wrote:
> I elected not to use IE7 when first available.
>
> Will the update of SP3 automatically install IE7?

Nope.

But I suggest you read through all of this before installing SP3...
(I'd print it too - just in case you need to get to a link if things go
horribly wrong.)

A place to get FREE support for SP3 installation issues *from Microsoft*...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Release Notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...1/relnotes.htm

Key things to note:

Internet Explorer:
"If you have installed Windows Internet Explorer« 7 or a beta version of
Internet Explorer 8, and then install Windows XP SP3, you cannot uninstall
Internet Explorer. To avoid this, ensure Internet Explorer 7 or a beta
version of Internet Explorer 8 is not installed before installing Windows XP
SP3. If you have already encountered this issue, uninstall Windows XP SP3,
uninstall Internet Explorer, and then reinstall Windows XP SP3."

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002:
"If you install Windows XP SP3 on a computer running Windows XP Media Center
Edition 2002 with SP1, Windows XP Media Center Edition may malfunction. To
avoid this, install Windows XP SP2 before you install Windows XP SP3. If
this issue has already occurred, uninstall Windows XP SP3, install Windows
XP SP2, and then reinstall Windows XP SP3."

It seems some people are unable to get further updates after installing
SP3... Seems some have experienced a symptom similar to doing a repair
installation on Windows XP - and the same fix seems to work for them for
that...

Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP
installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

Some people experience an "endless reboot" issue...

From PA Bear [MS MVP]:
Workarounds:

http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...ng-xp-sp3.aspx
[NB: The above has been updated many times and now includes "a small tool
that will detect the IntelPPM problem and mitigate it before installing
[WinXP SP3]."

1. Boot into Safe Mode and rename INTELPMM.SYS to INTELPMM.OLD.
2. After booting into Safe Mode:
Start --> Run --> (copy/paste)
sc config intelppm start= disabled
--> OK --> Reboot into normal (Windows) mode.

Other references include:
.. http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?p=187790#p187790
..
http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...ng-xp-sp3.aspx
.. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05...boots_crashes/
..
http://www.computerworld.com/action/...leId=9084 418
.. You receive a "Stop 0x0000007E" error message after you upgrade to Windows
XP Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 on a non-Intel-processor-based computer
(Revised 06 May-08)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372

Also - just as an aside...
After you install SP3 - visit http://www.adobe.com/ and install the latest
Flash player. Probably not necessary if you keep things up to datye
anyway - but it couldn't hurt!

Good Luck!

--
Shenan Stanley