Microsoft update

Stanley

Microsoft update
I have automatic Microsoft windows etc. set up on my Pc. When I do this
process manually, it does the downloads but in won't intialize and install
them.
What is preventing this from occuring....
I'm using windows XP home exist.
I have try and tried and tried.
Help me please.
Engel

RE: Microsoft update
Hello Stanley,

Two things to try (ignore any article titles - do any suggested methods...)

1) http://www.codeplex.com/aureset
2) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

Try the application download from 1, reboot and visit
<http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/> and do a custom scan for updates. If
it asks you to install anything before you ever get to see a buitton that
says "custom" on it - do so. When you do your custom scan, do not get
Optional
Hardware Updates.

If 1) does not fix things, try methods (1) and (2) from 2)... Reboot after
each one and then reboot and visit <http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/>
and do a custom scan for updates. If it asks you to install anything before
you ever get to see a buitton that says "custom" on it - do so. When you do
your custom scan, do not get Optional Hardware Updates.

Come back and let everyone here know the results.

--

"Stanley" wrote:

> I have automatic Microsoft windows etc. set up on my Pc. When I do this
> process manually, it does the downloads but in won't intialize and install
> them.
> What is preventing this from occuring....
> I'm using windows XP home exist.
> I have try and tried and tried.
> Help me please.

Shenan Stanley

Re: Microsoft update

Engel wrote:
> Hello Stanley,
>
> Two things to try (ignore any article titles - do any suggested
> methods...)
>
> 1) http://www.codeplex.com/aureset
> 2) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
>
> Try the application download from 1, reboot and visit
> <http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/> and do a custom scan for
> updates. If it asks you to install anything before you ever get to
> see a buitton that says "custom" on it - do so. When you do your
> custom scan, do not get Optional
> Hardware Updates.
>
> If 1) does not fix things, try methods (1) and (2) from 2)...
> Reboot after each one and then reboot and visit
> <http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/> and do a custom scan for
> updates. If it asks you to install anything before you ever get to
> see a buitton that says "custom" on it - do so. When you do your
> custom scan, do not get Optional Hardware Updates.
>
> Come back and let everyone here know the results.

I agree - pretty much word for word - except I would reverse it now... ;-)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
Try method 1 and try to update*.
If fails - try method 2 and try to update*.

If both of those methods fail...
http://www.codeplex.com/aureset
Get the tool and run it and then try to update*.

*try to update:
- Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
- If it asks you to install anything before you see a selection of "Custom"
or "Express" - do so.
- Once you see the "Custom" or "Express" selection, choose "Custom".
- Scan for updates.
- When it lists what it finds - install the critical ones.**
- You are generally safe doing the Optional Software Updates. I suggest
avoiding the Optional Hardware Updates completely.

** If it suggests SP3 - do not do that at this point. Choose to look for
"Other" updates.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP