windows xp home edition

Bonnie

windows xp home edition
My Computor was taken to a shop to be fixed. I had windows xp home edition on
it and when it came back fixed it had xp professional on it . I didn't take
much notice because it was up and working . I can't get any upgrades to my
computor because it is saying it is not a validated licence . Can I reinstall
xp home editionwhich is a validated copy which was originally on my computor
without having to reinstall all of my other programs
TaurArian

Re: windows xp home edition
Bonnie, this is not related to Windows Update issues.

You cannot install WinXP Home over WinXP Pro.

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"TaurArian" wrote:

> Bonnie, this is not related to Windows Update issues.
>
> You cannot install WinXP Home over WinXP Pro.
>

> --
>
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
>

> "Bonnie" <Bonnie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | My Computor was taken to a shop to be fixed. I had windows xp home edition on
> | it and when it came back fixed it had xp professional on it . I didn't take
> | much notice because it was up and working . I can't get any upgrades to my
> | computor because it is saying it is not a validated licence . Can I reinstall
> | xp home editionwhich is a validated copy which was originally on my computor
> | without having to reinstall all of my other programs
>
> Thankyou for your response so quickly .What issue do I have then? Can I reinstall xp home edition onto my computor without losing my other programs. I'm having trouble with internet explorer and I can't get any updates because is saying I have not a valid product key

Alias

Re: windows xp home edition
Bonnie wrote:

> "TaurArian" wrote:
>
>> Bonnie, this is not related to Windows Update issues.
>>
>> You cannot install WinXP Home over WinXP Pro.
>>

>> --
>>
>> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
>> http://taurarian.mvps.org
>> ======================================
>> How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>> Computer Maintenance: Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco
>>

>> "Bonnie" <Bonnie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> | My Computor was taken to a shop to be fixed. I had windows xp home edition on
>> | it and when it came back fixed it had xp professional on it . I didn't take
>> | much notice because it was up and working . I can't get any upgrades to my
>> | computor because it is saying it is not a validated licence . Can I reinstall
>> | xp home editionwhich is a validated copy which was originally on my computor
>> | without having to reinstall all of my other programs
>>
>> Thankyou for your response so quickly .What issue do I have then? Can I reinstall

xp home edition onto my computor without losing my other programs. I'm
having trouble
with internet explorer and I can't get any updates because is saying I
have not a valid product key

Seems the computer store installed a pirated copy of XP Pro. Your only
recourse is to reinstall Home. You will lose *everything* and have to
reinstall all your programs if you do this. See
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html for instructions
on how to do a clean install.

Alias

Re: windows xp home edition
1. Take the machine back to the shop along with the CDs that came with the
computer when you bought it. Demand that they reinstall Windows from your
CDs.

2. Report the shop's behavior to the Better Business Bureau and to your
state's Consumer Fraud Bureau.

3. Contact your credit card company and contest the shop's charges.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

"Alias" wrote:

> Bonnie wrote:
> >
> > "TaurArian" wrote:
> >
> >> Bonnie, this is not related to Windows Update issues.
> >>
> >> You cannot install WinXP Home over WinXP Pro.
> >>

> >> --
> >>
> >> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
> >> http://taurarian.mvps.org
> >> ======================================
> >> How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
> >> Computer Maintenance: Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco
> >>

> >> "Bonnie" <Bonnie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Thankyou for your response so quickly .What issue do I have then? Can I reinstall

> xp home edition onto my computor without losing my other programs. I'm
> having trouble
> with internet explorer and I can't get any updates because is saying I
> have not a valid product key
> >>

> Seems the computer store installed a pirated copy of XP Pro. Your only
> recourse is to reinstall Home. You will lose *everything* and have to
> reinstall all your programs if you do this. See
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html for instructions
> on how to do a clean install.
>
> Alias

Thankyou for you help. I have moved from that city where I had taken the
computor to get fixed. So my only option then is to reinstall xp home and I
will have to reinstall my other programs . Thanks again
bonnie