Updating to SP1 Vista Ultimate 64

Aaron

Updating to SP1 Vista Ultimate 64
I'm trying to update my PC to use SP1, but I'm having an odd error. I get the
update/download successful, but after I accept the terms and begin the
installation process, nearly instantly it fails to update and reports error
code 800423F4. I googlged around and found next to nothing involving this
error and windows Vista. Any help appreciated.

Re: Updating to SP1 Vista Ultimate 64
Is Vista SP1 being offered by Windows Update or are you attempting to
install it manually?

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358, especially the MORE INFORMATION
section at the bottom of the page.

Other references:

How to obtain the latest Windows Vista service pack
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935791

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 - Things to Know Before You Download:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../bb968859.aspx

Windows Vista Help: Learn how to install Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1):
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...6f2021033.mspx

System Update Readiness Tool [FKA CheckSUR tool] for Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 [may not be] available for installation from
Windows Update and is not offered by Automatic Updates:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948343

Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is available
at no charge through 18 Mar-09
• US:

• CA:

• UK:

• AU:

• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx | select Windows
Vista | select Windows Vista Service Pack 1
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Aaron wrote:
> I'm trying to update my PC to use SP1, but I'm having an odd error. I get
> the update/download successful, but after I accept the terms and begin the
> installation process, nearly instantly it fails to update and reports
> error
> code 800423F4. I googlged around and found next to nothing involving this
> error and windows Vista. Any help appreciated.

Sachin

Re: Updating to SP1 Vista Ultimate 64
I am reporting the EXACT SAME error. I also have W-Vista 64 bit ultimate and
after downloadin the 121 MB file for SP1, the installation failed with the
CODE 800423F4.
The update was offered by the windows update software (I did not download it
on my own).

PLEASE HELP!!!!

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Is Vista SP1 being offered by Windows Update or are you attempting to
> install it manually?
>
> See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358, especially the MORE INFORMATION
> section at the bottom of the page.
>
> Other references:
>
> How to obtain the latest Windows Vista service pack
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935791
>
> Windows Vista Service Pack 1 - Things to Know Before You Download:
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../bb968859.aspx
>
> Windows Vista Help: Learn how to install Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1):
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...6f2021033.mspx
>
> System Update Readiness Tool [FKA CheckSUR tool] for Windows Vista:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821
>
> Windows Vista Service Pack 1 [may not be] available for installation from
> Windows Update and is not offered by Automatic Updates:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948343
>
> Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is available
> at no charge through 18 Mar-09
> • US:
>
> • CA:
>
> • UK:
>
> • AU:
>
> • Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx | select Windows
> Vista | select Windows Vista Service Pack 1
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> Aaron wrote:
> > I'm trying to update my PC to use SP1, but I'm having an odd error. I get
> > the update/download successful, but after I accept the terms and begin the
> > installation process, nearly instantly it fails to update and reports
> > error
> > code 800423F4. I googlged around and found next to nothing involving this
> > error and windows Vista. Any help appreciated.

Re: Updating to SP1 Vista Ultimate 64
Repost:
> Is Vista SP1 being offered by Windows Update or are you attempting to
> install it manually?

To avoid confusion, please begin new threads about YOUR problems, please,
Sachin.

Sachin wrote:
> I am reporting the EXACT SAME error. I also have W-Vista 64 bit ultimate
> and
> after downloadin the 121 MB file for SP1, the installation failed with the
> CODE 800423F4.
> The update was offered by the windows update software (I did not download
> it
> on my own).
>
> PLEASE HELP!!!!
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Is Vista SP1 being offered by Windows Update or are you attempting to
>> install it manually?
>>
>> See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358, especially the MORE
>> INFORMATION
>> section at the bottom of the page.
>>
>> Other references:
>>
>> How to obtain the latest Windows Vista service pack
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935791
>>
>> Windows Vista Service Pack 1 - Things to Know Before You Download:
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../bb968859.aspx
>>
>> Windows Vista Help: Learn how to install Windows Vista Service Pack 1
>> (SP1):
>> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...6f2021033.mspx
>>
>> System Update Readiness Tool [FKA CheckSUR tool] for Windows Vista:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821
>>
>> Windows Vista Service Pack 1 [may not be] available for installation from
>> Windows Update and is not offered by Automatic Updates:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948343
>>
>> Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is
>> available
>> at no charge through 18 Mar-09
>> • US:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...4&gprid=500921
>>
>> • CA:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...4&gprid=500921
>>
>> • UK:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...4&gprid=500921
>>
>> • AU:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...4&gprid=500921
>>
>> • Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx | select Windows
>> Vista | select Windows Vista Service Pack 1
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> Aaron wrote:
>>> I'm trying to update my PC to use SP1, but I'm having an odd error. I
>>> get
>>> the update/download successful, but after I accept the terms and begin
>>> the
>>> installation process, nearly instantly it fails to update and reports
>>> error
>>> code 800423F4. I googlged around and found next to nothing involving
>>> this
>>> error and windows Vista. Any help appreciated.

Sachin

Re: Updating to SP1 Vista Ultimate 64
Like I said in my original post, its the same exact error. I believe many
others will have the same issue so it makes more sense to keep it in one post
so that people don't have to look elsewhere.

Anyway, if reposting is the only solution this forum has to offer, its
probably not worth my time.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Repost:
> > Is Vista SP1 being offered by Windows Update or are you attempting to
> > install it manually?

> To avoid confusion, please begin new threads about YOUR problems, please,
> Sachin.
>

> Sachin wrote:
> > I am reporting the EXACT SAME error. I also have W-Vista 64 bit ultimate
> > and
> > after downloadin the 121 MB file for SP1, the installation failed with the
> > CODE 800423F4.
> > The update was offered by the windows update software (I did not download
> > it
> > on my own).
> >
> > PLEASE HELP!!!!
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Is Vista SP1 being offered by Windows Update or are you attempting to
> >> install it manually?
> >>
> >> See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358, especially the MORE
> >> INFORMATION
> >> section at the bottom of the page.
> >>
> >> Other references:
> >>
> >> How to obtain the latest Windows Vista service pack
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935791
> >>
> >> Windows Vista Service Pack 1 - Things to Know Before You Download:
> >> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../bb968859.aspx
> >>
> >> Windows Vista Help: Learn how to install Windows Vista Service Pack 1
> >> (SP1):
> >> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...6f2021033.mspx
> >>
> >> System Update Readiness Tool [FKA CheckSUR tool] for Windows Vista:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821
> >>
> >> Windows Vista Service Pack 1 [may not be] available for installation from
> >> Windows Update and is not offered by Automatic Updates:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948343
> >>
> >> Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is
> >> available
> >> at no charge through 18 Mar-09
> >> • US:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...4&gprid=500921
> >>
> >> • CA:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...4&gprid=500921
> >>
> >> • UK:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...4&gprid=500921
> >>
> >> • AU:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...4&gprid=500921
> >>
> >> • Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx | select Windows
> >> Vista | select Windows Vista Service Pack 1
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Robert Aldwinckle

"Aaron" <Aaron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to update my PC to use SP1, but I'm having an odd error. I get the
> update/download successful, but after I accept the terms and begin the
> installation process, nearly instantly it fails to update and reports error
> code 800423F4. I googlged around and found next to nothing involving this
> error and windows Vista. Any help appreciated.

In addition to "googling around" you could be searching your harddrive
for diagnostics which contain that code. Then report the context of any
instances that you find.

---

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Sachin wrote:

> Like I said in my original post, its the same exact error.

Just because it's the same error code doesn't mean the cause is the same. Long
experience has shown that keeping each person's problem in a separate thread
works much better.

Harry.
exphilip

Re: Updating to SP1 Vista Ultimate 64
I have the same problem. The automatic window update informs me that Service
Pack 1 is available for update. Shortly into the process I also get error
code 800423F4.
In the thread above does [MS MVP] mean you work for Microsoft? Hope someone
from Microsoft is looking into this and addressing this thread, which it
makes sense to keep as one, I would agree

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "Aaron" <Aaron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm trying to update my PC to use SP1, but I'm having an odd error. I get the
> > update/download successful, but after I accept the terms and begin the
> > installation process, nearly instantly it fails to update and reports error
> > code 800423F4. I googlged around and found next to nothing involving this
> > error and windows Vista. Any help appreciated.

> In addition to "googling around" you could be searching your harddrive
> for diagnostics which contain that code. Then report the context of any
> instances that you find.
>

> ---

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Updating to SP1 Vista Ultimate 64
No, MVPs do NOT work for Microsoft. They are volunteers who assist
others - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx

0x800423F4 VSS_E_WRITERERROR_NONRETRYABLE
The writer experienced a non-transient error. If the backup process is
retried, the error is likely to reoccur.

VSS is the same as System Restore in XP. The following page describes
VSS in Vista -
System Restore in Windows Vista
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/vista.html

IF you've made no changes to nor disabled System Restore then suggest
you contact MS for free support in getting SP1 installed:

> Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for Windows Vista, but only for
> Service Pack 1 (SP1). This support for SP1 is valid until March 18, 2009. Availability of chat or
> e-mail support differs depending on your geographic location. For customers residing in North America
> or Canada, chat and e-mail support is available.
>
> Some issues may require more advanced support for which there is a charge.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten