Windows Update from IE7 return blank page

guilbert53

Windows Update from IE7 return blank page
When I select Tools then Windows Update on IE7 under XP Home SP3 I just get
blank page with "done" in the bottom left hand corner.

I have just rebuilt a Dell PC and started with XP Home (old CD with no SP
included).

In then did Windows Update and got offered SP3 which I downloaded.

After SP3 then Windows Update downloaded further fixes but it would not
install them, such as IE7.

Found a Microsoft knowledge base article about stoping update service,
making a change (sorry cannot remember detail) and restarting update service.

It then worked and I was able to download all the updates, plus optional
programs like Windows Media player etc. Note that IE7 went on AFTER SP3, not
sure if that is important.

Now a week later I come to run Windows Update again and just get this blank
page.

I am very experienced with PCs and have tried all the obvious (firewall off,
ActiveX settings, reinstalling Windows Installer, Windows Script etc, tried
all sorts of things I have found on the web and Microsoft knowledge base but
nothing works).

Searched Microsoft.com for Windows Update and found a link to
http://update.microsoft.com/windowsu....aspx?ln=en-us

Tried this and it did seem to work, but still get blank page when I try
Windows Update from the IE7 browser.

Really stuck now.

MrGW77 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guilbert53 View Post
[...]

Microsoft Windows Update

Tried this and it did seem to work, but still get blank page when I try
Windows Update from the IE7 browser.

Really stuck now.
If I am correct, you are wondering why you arrive at the different page when trying to update? I've experienced the same thing before, at times when attempting to update or download files from the Microsoft site. I think it has to do with the cookies stored on the computer (I don't know the technical terms)

Re: Windows Update from IE7 return blank page
1. CrystalBall© sez...

Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP
installation:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

NB: Also applies to clean installs, upgrade installs, and Recovery installs.

2. If no joy, see:

Error message when you try to install updates from the Windows Update Web
site on a Windows XP-based computer: "Windows Update has encountered an
error and cannot display the requested page" [ignore title]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914226

3. Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.

• US:

• CA:

• UK:

• AU:

• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/