Microsoft update loops back to 'Welcome to Microsoft update' page

Andrew S

Microsoft update loops back to 'Welcome to Microsoft update' page
I've been having a problem for a while but hadn't noticed my PC isn't
updating until now.
I think when I tried to install the latest version of Microsoft Update my
problems began (although it's a long time back and I can't be sure).
MS update appears to have installed but it will not run.
The problem happens as follows:
1. I go to the Windows Start Menu and click on Microsoft update.
2. A page appears in Internet Explorer saying 'Welcome to Microsoft Update'
- 'Try Microsoft Update today'. I click on the 'Start Now' button.
3. A second page saying 'Review the licence agreement' appears. I click on
the 'Continue' button.
4. A page appears 'Checking if your computer has the latest version of this
software' (or words to that effect - it closes to quickly for me to make a
note of what it is saying).
5. This then advances to a page saying: 'Microsoft Update setup is complete
You can check the website for updates at any time by clicking Microsoft
Update in your Start menu. ' It also says that 'Automatic Updates are on.'
I click on the 'Check for Updates' button.
6. Finally it loops back to the 'Welcome to Microsoft Update' screen (point
2 on my list above).
I've just manually downloaded Win XP SP3 on disk to install that but it
hasn't solved the problem. I do like to be able to manually run update so
that I'm in controll of the updates installed.
Any suggestions?
Many thanks in advance for your help.
Regards,
Andy

Re: Microsoft update loops back to 'Welcome to Microsoft update' page
e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.

• US:

• CA:

• UK:

• AU:

• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/