windows

carl43m

windows
Vista sp1 shows up in windows update as an important available item. I
clicked "install" and windows update said "downloading" although there was
no indicator of progress being made , ie. % complete or something showing
xxKB downloaded. I have DSL broadband and the download box was on for over
3 hours, so finally I hit cancel. A couple of days later I hit install again
and this time it did not show downloading but said it was installing update 1
of 1--don't know how it could install something that didn't appear to have
ever downloaded. The install box was on for 1.5 hours and then I just
clicked stop install.

I have no idea what may be happening. Is there something wrong with my
software? I am under the impression that the sp1 update would not have been
shown as available for me unless my system was ready to accept it. My pc is
only about a month old and has downloaded and installed a number of updates
automatically without any issues. Is it possible that something needs to be
cleared or reset in order to get this update to be able to be downloaded sp1
and then install it.

Re: windows
Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is available
at no charge through 18 Mar-09
• US:

• CA:

• UK:

• AU:

• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx | select Windows
Vista | select Windows Vista Service Pack 1

Information about Windows Vista Service Pack 1:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936330

How to obtain the latest Windows Vista service pack
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935791

Windows Vista SP1 FAQ:
http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/wi...a-sp1-faq.aspx
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../bb972745.aspx

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 - Things to Know Before You Download:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../bb968859.aspx

Windows Vista Help: Learn how to install Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1):
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...6f2021033.mspx
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

carl43m wrote:
> Vista sp1 shows up in windows update as an important available item. I
> clicked "install" and windows update said "downloading" although there
> was
> no indicator of progress being made , ie. % complete or something showing
> xxKB downloaded. I have DSL broadband and the download box was on for
> over
> 3 hours, so finally I hit cancel. A couple of days later I hit install
> again and this time it did not show downloading but said it was installing
> update 1 of 1--don't know how it could install something that didn't
> appear
> to have ever downloaded. The install box was on for 1.5 hours and then I
> just clicked stop install.
>
> I have no idea what may be happening. Is there something wrong with my
> software? I am under the impression that the sp1 update would not have
> been
> shown as available for me unless my system was ready to accept it. My pc
> is
> only about a month old and has downloaded and installed a number of
> updates
> automatically without any issues. Is it possible that something needs to
> be
> cleared or reset in order to get this update to be able to be downloaded
> sp1 and then install it.

carl43m

Re: windows
thanks--you have responded before and I appreciate that. While you have
given me some links to help do the install manually I was also hopingh that
someone might be able to explain what might have been hapening with my
system. I will contact the microsoft sp1 support group too--thanks.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is available
> at no charge through 18 Mar-09
> • US:
>
> • CA:
>
> • UK:
>
> • AU:
>
> • Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx | select Windows
> Vista | select Windows Vista Service Pack 1
>
> Information about Windows Vista Service Pack 1:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936330
>
> How to obtain the latest Windows Vista service pack
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935791
>
> Windows Vista SP1 FAQ:
> http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/wi...a-sp1-faq.aspx
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../bb972745.aspx
>
> Windows Vista Service Pack 1 - Things to Know Before You Download:
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../bb968859.aspx
>
> Windows Vista Help: Learn how to install Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1):
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...6f2021033.mspx
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> carl43m wrote:
> > Vista sp1 shows up in windows update as an important available item. I
> > clicked "install" and windows update said "downloading" although there
> > was
> > no indicator of progress being made , ie. % complete or something showing
> > xxKB downloaded. I have DSL broadband and the download box was on for
> > over
> > 3 hours, so finally I hit cancel. A couple of days later I hit install
> > again and this time it did not show downloading but said it was installing
> > update 1 of 1--don't know how it could install something that didn't
> > appear
> > to have ever downloaded. The install box was on for 1.5 hours and then I
> > just clicked stop install.
> >
> > I have no idea what may be happening. Is there something wrong with my
> > software? I am under the impression that the sp1 update would not have
> > been
> > shown as available for me unless my system was ready to accept it. My pc
> > is
> > only about a month old and has downloaded and installed a number of
> > updates
> > automatically without any issues. Is it possible that something needs to
> > be
> > cleared or reset in order to get this update to be able to be downloaded
> > sp1 and then install it.

Re: windows
Can't do much without any errors you may be encountering when you try to
install Vista SP1.

That being said, this KB article might help:

The update is not installed successfully, you receive a message, and the
computer restarts when you try to install an update in Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358