What is the best way to remove sp3

Robinb

What is the best way to remove sp3
I have a client that put sp3 successfully on a brand new computer. He just
found out that a certain program he needs doesn't run yet on sp3. (he did
not find this out prior so now we have no choice but to remove sp3.
Is it better to do this via add/remove programs in reg mode, safe mode or
doing a system restore back prior?

thanks
robin

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: What is the best way to remove sp3
The proper way to uninstall SP3 would be to
uninstall it in the Add/Remove Programs applet
located in the Control Panel. Be sure to check
the box that says "Show Updates".

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Robinb" <robin@discussion> wrote in message news:%23SbQff%23xIHA.4876@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
I have a client that put sp3 successfully on a brand new computer. He just
found out that a certain program he needs doesn't run yet on sp3. (he did
not find this out prior so now we have no choice but to remove sp3.
Is it better to do this via add/remove programs in reg mode, safe mode or
doing a system restore back prior?

thanks
robin

Engel

RE: What is the best way to remove sp3
Hi Robinb,

To add to Carey's posting

Have a look at this article.

How to remove Windows XP SP3 from your computer
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249>

Can you tell me what program product he is trying to run ??

Let us know how it works ºut.
- -- --

"Robinb" wrote:

> I have a client that put sp3 successfully on a brand new computer. He just
> found out that a certain program he needs doesn't run yet on sp3. (he did
> not find this out prior so now we have no choice but to remove sp3.
> Is it better to do this via add/remove programs in reg mode, safe mode or
> doing a system restore back prior?
>
> thanks
> robin

robinb

Re: What is the best way to remove sp3
hey Engel
it is a real estate program and there is a bug in the program that doesn't
allow it to work on sp3 as of yet.
they claim they are trying to fix this but they have not yet and he needs
this program like yesterday
robin
"Engel" <Engel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Robinb,
>
> To add to Carey's posting
>
> Have a look at this article.
>
> How to remove Windows XP SP3 from your computer
> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249>
>
> Can you tell me what program product he is trying to run ??
>
> Let us know how it works ºut.
> - -- --
>

> "Robinb" wrote:
>
>> I have a client that put sp3 successfully on a brand new computer. He
>> just
>> found out that a certain program he needs doesn't run yet on sp3. (he did
>> not find this out prior so now we have no choice but to remove sp3.
>> Is it better to do this via add/remove programs in reg mode, safe mode or
>> doing a system restore back prior?
>>
>> thanks
>> robin

robinb

Re: What is the best way to remove sp3
I saw the article already- i have it printed out
I just wanted to make sure it would work fine going into add/remove in reg
windows instead of safe mode and using add/remove
thank goodness he has ie6 installed and not ie7, too
robin

"Engel" <Engel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Robinb,
>
> To add to Carey's posting
>
> Have a look at this article.
>
> How to remove Windows XP SP3 from your computer
> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249>
>
> Can you tell me what program product he is trying to run ??
>
> Let us know how it works ºut.
> - -- --
>

> "Robinb" wrote:
>
>> I have a client that put sp3 successfully on a brand new computer. He
>> just
>> found out that a certain program he needs doesn't run yet on sp3. (he did
>> not find this out prior so now we have no choice but to remove sp3.
>> Is it better to do this via add/remove programs in reg mode, safe mode or
>> doing a system restore back prior?
>>
>> thanks
>> robin

robinb

Re: What is the best way to remove sp3
so you think just in reg windows in add/remove programs (show updates
checked) not safe mode, I should uninstall it and it will revert back to
sp2?
then i assume I will have to do all of microsofts security updates prior to
sp3 right through WU?

robin
"robinb" <robinbk9_nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
>I saw the article already- i have it printed out
> I just wanted to make sure it would work fine going into add/remove in reg
> windows instead of safe mode and using add/remove
> thank goodness he has ie6 installed and not ie7, too
> robin
>
> "Engel" <Engel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Robinb,
>>
>> To add to Carey's posting
>>
>> Have a look at this article.
>>
>> How to remove Windows XP SP3 from your computer
>> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249>
>>
>> Can you tell me what program product he is trying to run ??
>>
>> Let us know how it works ºut.
>> - -- --
>>

>> "Robinb" wrote:
>>
>>> I have a client that put sp3 successfully on a brand new computer. He
>>> just
>>> found out that a certain program he needs doesn't run yet on sp3. (he
>>> did
>>> not find this out prior so now we have no choice but to remove sp3.
>>> Is it better to do this via add/remove programs in reg mode, safe mode
>>> or
>>> doing a system restore back prior?
>>>
>>> thanks
>>> robin

Engel

Re: What is the best way to remove sp3
Hi Robinb,

I wouldn't worry about it.

<http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/d/8/cd8cc719-7d5a-40d3-a802-e4057aa8c631/relnotes.htm>

- -- ---

"robinb" wrote:

> so you think just in reg windows in add/remove programs (show updates
> checked) not safe mode, I should uninstall it and it will revert back to
> sp2?
> then i assume I will have to do all of microsofts security updates prior to
> sp3 right through WU?
>
> robin
> "robinb" <robinbk9_nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
> >I saw the article already- i have it printed out
> > I just wanted to make sure it would work fine going into add/remove in reg
> > windows instead of safe mode and using add/remove
> > thank goodness he has ie6 installed and not ie7, too
> > robin
> >
> > "Engel" <Engel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi Robinb,
> >>
> >> To add to Carey's posting
> >>
> >> Have a look at this article.
> >>
> >> How to remove Windows XP SP3 from your computer
> >> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249>
> >>
> >> Can you tell me what program product he is trying to run ??
> >>
> >> Let us know how it works ºut.
> >> - -- --

HEMI-Powered

Re: What is the best way to remove sp3
robinb added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

> hey Engel
> it is a real estate program and there is a bug in the program that
> doesn't allow it to work on sp3 as of yet.
> they claim they are trying to fix this but they have not yet and he
> needs this program like yesterday
> robin
> "Engel" <Engel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Robinb,
>>
>> To add to Carey's posting
>>
>> Have a look at this article.
>>
>> How to remove Windows XP SP3 from your computer
>> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249>
>>
>> Can you tell me what program product he is trying to run ??
>>
>> Let us know how it works ºut.
>> - -- --
>>

>> "Robinb" wrote:
>>
>>> I have a client that put sp3 successfully on a brand new computer.
>>> He just found out that a certain program he needs doesn't run yet
>>> on sp3. (he did not find this out prior so now we have no choice
>>> but to remove sp3. Is it better to do this via add/remove programs
>>> in reg mode, safe mode or doing a system restore back prior?

Note to all them rushing out to get SP3: if SP3 is nothing but a
consolidation of previous bug fixes and critical updates, why should
any program that runs SP2 OK fail on SP3? answer, 'cuz Bill don't do no
SW without creating new bugs and if your code isn't certified, best not
try, which comes back to my basic philosophy of don't try to fix things
that aren't broken.

Good luck.

--
HP, aka Jerry

"You've obviously mistaken me for someone who gives a ****!"

Alias

HEMI-Powered wrote:
> robinb added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...
>
>> hey Engel
>> it is a real estate program and there is a bug in the program that
>> doesn't allow it to work on sp3 as of yet.
>> they claim they are trying to fix this but they have not yet and he
>> needs this program like yesterday
>> robin
>> "Engel" <Engel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Robinb,
>>>
>>> To add to Carey's posting
>>>
>>> Have a look at this article.
>>>
>>> How to remove Windows XP SP3 from your computer
>>> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249>
>>>
>>> Can you tell me what program product he is trying to run ??
>>>
>>> Let us know how it works ºut.
>>> - -- --

> Note to all them rushing out to get SP3: if SP3 is nothing but a
> consolidation of previous bug fixes and critical updates, why should
> any program that runs SP2 OK fail on SP3? answer, 'cuz Bill don't do no
> SW without creating new bugs and if your code isn't certified, best not
> try, which comes back to my basic philosophy of don't try to fix things
> that aren't broken.
>
> Good luck.

It includes more than all the updates. For example, the firewall now
monitors both inbound and outbound traffic. It also speeds XP up a bit,
a slightly faster boot time and it seems smoother.

That said, I don't plan to put SP3 on a computer that's had XP installed
for a year and is running perfectly. When it's required for updates,
I'll put it on that machine. I did put it on another computer
immediately after install XP SP2 and I'm impressed.

Alias
HEMI-Powered

Re: What is the best way to remove sp3
Alias added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

> HEMI-Powered wrote:
>> robinb added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...
>>
>>> hey Engel
>>> it is a real estate program and there is a bug in the program that
>>> doesn't allow it to work on sp3 as of yet.
>>> they claim they are trying to fix this but they have not yet and
>>> he needs this program like yesterday robin
>>> "Engel" <Engel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>> Note to all them rushing out to get SP3: if SP3 is nothing but a
>> consolidation of previous bug fixes and critical updates, why
>> should any program that runs SP2 OK fail on SP3? answer, 'cuz Bill
>> don't do no SW without creating new bugs and if your code isn't
>> certified, best not try, which comes back to my basic philosophy of
>> don't try to fix things that aren't broken.
>>
>> Good luck.
>>

> It includes more than all the updates. For example, the firewall now
> monitors both inbound and outbound traffic. It also speeds XP up a
> bit, a slightly faster boot time and it seems smoother.
>
> That said, I don't plan to put SP3 on a computer that's had XP
> installed for a year and is running perfectly. When it's required
> for updates, I'll put it on that machine. I did put it on another
> computer immediately after install XP SP2 and I'm impressed.
>
> Alias

I'm not sure what SP3 has or doesn't have since when I try to look at
MS's site or other places, it is more than a bit fuzzy. But, I'm sure
that it's "firewall" is crap just as the vaunted SP2 "security" was and
is crap. But, I do agree with your point that is in line with my "don't
try to fix things that aren't broken." My next PC will be sufficiently
advanced compared to my current one that XP is moot. I'll need Vista
which, by then, should be at least minimally ready for prime time.

--
HP, aka Jerry

"If it waddles like a duck and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck"