Laptop and Update do not agree

DigitalSmoke

Laptop and Update do not agree
I'm installing a new harddrive with XP Home. Everything is fine until after
I loaded the SP3 update. There were 4 updates after SP3 one for Internet
Explorer 7, Maliscious Program Removal Tool and two others that I don't
remember right now. I downloaded the 4 updates and the Install reported that
Install failed because something on my machine was not accepting the updates.
I retried the Updates with the same result. Update did not download again
just went straight to install and reported that they failed. I used the
system restore point and went one further than I wanted to. IE: its now back
to where I was after I loaded from DISK at SP2. I clicked Update and the 4
Updates mentioned above downloaded and installed. Update history shows that
SP3 is installed but when I check my system properties and the Add/Remove
Software SP3 is not present. How do I get my Laptop and Update back in sync?
Shenan Stanley

Re: Laptop and Update do not agree
DigitalSmoke wrote:
> I'm installing a new harddrive with XP Home. Everything is fine
> until after I loaded the SP3 update. There were 4 updates after
> SP3 one for Internet Explorer 7, Maliscious Program Removal Tool
> and two others that I don't remember right now. I downloaded the 4
> updates and the Install reported that Install failed because
> something on my machine was not accepting the updates. I retried
> the Updates with the same result. Update did not download again
> just went straight to install and reported that they failed. I
> used the system restore point and went one further than I wanted
> to. IE: its now back to where I was after I loaded from DISK at
> SP2. I clicked Update and the 4 Updates mentioned above downloaded
> and installed. Update history shows that SP3 is installed but when
> I check my system properties and the Add/Remove Software SP3 is not
> present. How do I get my Laptop and Update back in sync?

Start button --> RUN --. type in:
winver
--> Click "OK".

What version of Windows does the screen that comes up say you have?

As for the updates...

Try http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144 ...
Both methods - visiting http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ after each
method to do a custom scan for updates. You can - once your updates are
working - download and *install* all the updates from this page you desire -
the optional software ones are historical safe - however I suggest *not*
getting any of the optional hardware ones - get your hardware updates from
the individuals who actually created your hardware.

If that does not work, try http://www.codeplex.com/aureset ...
Download and run it and visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ afterwards
to try a custom scan. Same idea.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

DigitalSmoke

Re: Laptop and Update do not agree
Thanks for your advice

Magic happened. I turned on Automatic Updates and went to bed. Next
Morning when I started the PC, the SP3 updates loaded. I guess I should buy
a lottery ticket. I'm not sure what happened... I'm good to go.