0x8DDD0002 error when logged in as administrator

Chris

0x8DDD0002 error when logged in as administrator
Hi -

I've seen a few threads about this issue - effectively a user is
logged into Windows Vista as Administrator, yet Windows Update doesn't
recognise this.

For regular patches, this is ok as the inbuilt update tool in Vista
seems to work. However, for some 3rd party drivers (i.e. an old
webcam I have) it's a massive headache.

The threads I've read (are several months old and) suggest a lot of
configuration, rebooting of systems and such. I've tried a couple of
solutions to no avail.

Is anyone aware of an actual fix that's been released for this issue?

Has Microsoft considered not selling beta software to the general
public yet?

Thanks,
Chris
TaurArian

Re: 0x8DDD0002 error when logged in as administrator

In Vista, the website has been replaced by Windows Update in Control Panel. You cannot get
to the Windows Update site in Vista.
--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"Chris" <chris@ebooster.co.uk> wrote in message
| Hi -
|
| I've seen a few threads about this issue - effectively a user is
| logged into Windows Vista as Administrator, yet Windows Update doesn't
| recognise this.
|
| For regular patches, this is ok as the inbuilt update tool in Vista
| seems to work. However, for some 3rd party drivers (i.e. an old
| webcam I have) it's a massive headache.
|
| The threads I've read (are several months old and) suggest a lot of
| configuration, rebooting of systems and such. I've tried a couple of
| solutions to no avail.
|
| Is anyone aware of an actual fix that's been released for this issue?
|
| Has Microsoft considered not selling beta software to the general
| public yet?
|
| Thanks,
| Chris

Chris

Re: 0x8DDD0002 error when logged in as administrator
Hi TaurArian -

Thanks - yes indeed, I did see this guidance elsewhere. It's
interesting though as there still seems to be a basic inconsistency
built into Vista.

For example, when I plugged in a legacy device (a 4-year-old web cam),
Vista tried to recognise it automatically. When it couldn't, it then
went out to the web looking for a compatible driver. This took me to
the Windows Update site and only at that point, I got the "log in as
Administrator" error. It seems fundamentally inconsistent to take the
user down a logical path which will wind up blocking access, and just
wasting the user's time.

Interestingly, I did tried the internal update links in the Control
Panel - same effect. The only way I got the camera installed, was to
visit the vendor's site, download the XP drivers and install them.

Might be time to buy a Mac ;-)

Chris