KB932823 seems to cause trouble in IE7

pc123

KB932823 seems to cause trouble in IE7
Hi,

We have a serious problem where several of our users recently began
experiencing problems in IE7 while accessing our internal Web applications.
The program would freeze several times a day (the hourglass appears, the IE7
windows goes blank and I must kill the iexplore.exe process). I noticed that
Windows Update pushed the patch KB932823 on May 28 onto those computers, so I
uninstalled this patch in case it was the cause of the freeze, and I find
that the problem has not occurred since I uninstalled the patch.

I am wondering if it’s a coincidence or if indeed the patch is causing us
trouble. The KB932823 patch title is "You may be unable to use Windows
Internet Explorer 7 to download files on a computer that is running Windows
Server 2003 or Windows XP". It is supposed to be applied only on systems
where "the Japanese Input Method Editor (IME) is the default keyboard layout.
This problem occurs because the Msctf.dll file sends the download command to
an invalid thread." My systems don't have Japanese as a default keyboard
layout, so is it possible that the patch caused more trouble than it was
supposed to solve?

Furthermore, the patch is supposed to be a hotfix, not a critical update,
but it has been pushed to our users via Automatic Updates anyway. I have the
feeling that it has been miscategorized by Microsoft because it should not
have been pushed to us without our consent, but it did anyway.

I have searched for this problem on the Web but I found nothing.

Thank you.

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: KB932823 seems to cause trouble in IE7
I concur with your opinion on KB932823. Unless I'm missing something, it
is miscategorized and you should *not* install this update/hotfix on the
desktops you've described.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

pc123 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have a serious problem where several of our users recently began
> experiencing problems in IE7 while accessing our internal Web applications.
> The program would freeze several times a day (the hourglass appears, the IE7
> windows goes blank and I must kill the iexplore.exe process). I noticed that
> Windows Update pushed the patch KB932823 on May 28 onto those computers, so I
> uninstalled this patch in case it was the cause of the freeze, and I find
> that the problem has not occurred since I uninstalled the patch.
>
> I am wondering if it’s a coincidence or if indeed the patch is causing us
> trouble. The KB932823 patch title is "You may be unable to use Windows
> Internet Explorer 7 to download files on a computer that is running Windows
> Server 2003 or Windows XP". It is supposed to be applied only on systems
> where "the Japanese Input Method Editor (IME) is the default keyboard layout.
> This problem occurs because the Msctf.dll file sends the download command to
> an invalid thread." My systems don't have Japanese as a default keyboard
> layout, so is it possible that the patch caused more trouble than it was
> supposed to solve?
>
> Furthermore, the patch is supposed to be a hotfix, not a critical update,
> but it has been pushed to our users via Automatic Updates anyway. I have the
> feeling that it has been miscategorized by Microsoft because it should not
> have been pushed to us without our consent, but it did anyway.
>
> I have searched for this problem on the Web but I found nothing.
>
> Thank you.

Re: KB932823 seems to cause trouble in IE7
G*d only knows why KB932823 was "pushed" to WinXP machines running IE7 where
the Japanese IME keyboard layout wasn't enabled.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

pc123 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a serious problem where several of our users recently began
> experiencing problems in IE7 while accessing our internal Web
> applications.
> The program would freeze several times a day (the hourglass appears, the
> IE7
> windows goes blank and I must kill the iexplore.exe process). I noticed
> that Windows Update pushed the patch KB932823 on May 28 onto those
> computers, so I uninstalled this patch in case it was the cause of the
> freeze, and I find that the problem has not occurred since I uninstalled
> the patch.
>
> I am wondering if it’s a coincidence or if indeed the patch is causing us
> trouble. The KB932823 patch title is "You may be unable to use Windows
> Internet Explorer 7 to download files on a computer that is running
> Windows
> Server 2003 or Windows XP". It is supposed to be applied only on systems
> where "the Japanese Input Method Editor (IME) is the default keyboard
> layout. This problem occurs because the Msctf.dll file sends the download
> command to an invalid thread." My systems don't have Japanese as a
> default
> keyboard layout, so is it possible that the patch caused more trouble than
> it was supposed to solve?
>
> Furthermore, the patch is supposed to be a hotfix, not a critical update,
> but it has been pushed to our users via Automatic Updates anyway. I have
> the feeling that it has been miscategorized by Microsoft because it should
> not have been pushed to us without our consent, but it did anyway.
>
> I have searched for this problem on the Web but I found nothing.
>
> Thank you.

olemacd

"pc123" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have a serious problem where several of our users recently began
> experiencing problems in IE7 while accessing our internal Web applications.
> The program would freeze several times a day (the hourglass appears, the IE7
> windows goes blank and I must kill the iexplore.exe process). I noticed that
> Windows Update pushed the patch KB932823 on May 28 onto those computers, so I
> uninstalled this patch in case it was the cause of the freeze, and I find
> that the problem has not occurred since I uninstalled the patch.
>
> I am wondering if it’s a coincidence or if indeed the patch is causing us
> trouble. The KB932823 patch title is "You may be unable to use Windows
> Internet Explorer 7 to download files on a computer that is running Windows
> Server 2003 or Windows XP". It is supposed to be applied only on systems
> where "the Japanese Input Method Editor (IME) is the default keyboard layout.
> This problem occurs because the Msctf.dll file sends the download command to
> an invalid thread." My systems don't have Japanese as a default keyboard
> layout, so is it possible that the patch caused more trouble than it was
> supposed to solve?
>
> Furthermore, the patch is supposed to be a hotfix, not a critical update,
> but it has been pushed to our users via Automatic Updates anyway. I have the
> feeling that it has been miscategorized by Microsoft because it should not
> have been pushed to us without our consent, but it did anyway.
>
> I have searched for this problem on the Web but I found nothing.
>
> Thank you.

This was pushed to one of my business cutomers last week and the started
having trouble with Windows XP. Then again to day the same # but with V3 on
the end. DO NOT INSTALL THIS.!.. Starts giving memory reading problems. Blue
Screen with tons of of Memory problems dumps.