Vista -- Failed to initialize datastore, error = 0xC8000FA1

vithi

Vista -- Failed to initialize datastore, error = 0xC8000FA1
Getting this error when attempting to check for updates after installing all
available updates on a clean install of Vista and restarting as prompted.

Have tried the SoftwareDistribution folder deletion fix and every other
suggestion I could find online for other errors (as this one does not appear
anywhere).

At some point, after a combination of SoftwareDistribution deletions,
uninstalling updates, updating Windows Update Agent and other things that I
can't remember, I got it to finally get the list of updates to show and even
downloaded and installed them.

After installing the updates and rebooting, I'm back where I was.

Here are the updates that were installed:

Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB941693)
Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB947864)
Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB948590)
Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB948881)
Update for Microsoft Windows (KB905866)
Update for Microsoft Windows (KB943729)
Update for Microsoft Windows (KB947572)
Update for Microsoft Windows (KB938371)
Update for Microsoft Windows (KB937287)
Update for Microsoft Windows (KB935509)

HELP! PLEASE! I'm going crazy.

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Vista -- Failed to initialize datastore, error = 0xC8000FA1
Some *thing* is corrupting DataStore.edb.

Is Vista SP1 installed ? If not, whatever ails the system will *most*
likely be cured by it's application.

Which antivirus/security suite/popup/cookie blocker/3rd party
firewall/toolbars is/are installed ?
Is the installed AV/sec suite configured to scan the DataStore subfolder
in the SoftwareDistribution subfolder ?

If none of the above are installed and it's just a 'bare-bones' Vista,
then the *some thing* is hardware related.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

vithi wrote:

> Getting this error when attempting to check for updates after installing all
> available updates on a clean install of Vista and restarting as prompted.
>
> Have tried the SoftwareDistribution folder deletion fix and every other
> suggestion I could find online for other errors (as this one does not appear
> anywhere).
>
> At some point, after a combination of SoftwareDistribution deletions,
> uninstalling updates, updating Windows Update Agent and other things that I
> can't remember, I got it to finally get the list of updates to show and even
> downloaded and installed them.
>
> After installing the updates and rebooting, I'm back where I was.
>
> Here are the updates that were installed:
>
> Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB941693)
> Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB947864)
> Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB948590)
> Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB948881)
> Update for Microsoft Windows (KB905866)
> Update for Microsoft Windows (KB943729)
> Update for Microsoft Windows (KB947572)
> Update for Microsoft Windows (KB938371)
> Update for Microsoft Windows (KB937287)
> Update for Microsoft Windows (KB935509)
>
> HELP! PLEASE! I'm going crazy.

vithi

Re: Vista -- Failed to initialize datastore, error = 0xC8000FA1
First of all, thank you for taking the time to respond to my post!

Well let me answer a few of these questions.

This is 32-bit Vista with SP1 included in the install disc.

I am using AVG free 8.0, but have tried the DataStore wipe with the
antivirus turned off, and while running safe boot: minimal.

I admit that it's possible that this is a hardware problem, however, there
are a few things that make that doubtful to me:
1) This computer has run Vista before without issue. I tried running Server
2008 and ran into driver problems on a few of my components, so I went back
to Vista.
2) Another thing that leads me to believe that this problem is
software-based is the fact that updating worked when I first installed, then
broke after the first round of updates were installed.

I was able to uninstall most of those updates and after clearing the
SoftwareDistribution reinstalling Windows Update Agent 3.0 and MSXML3 SP7 I
was able to use Windows Update again, but it broke yet again after the
updates were re-installed.

One thing that occurred to me is that when I first installed Vista I didn't
properly set the time zone. I fixed it some time before I tried uninstalling
the updates that were installed immediately prior to Windows Update breaking,
but since I know little of how Windows Updates works under the covers, I
admit the possibility that it may have preserved some artifact of a problem
introduced by having the time zone improperly set.