vista update stopping emails

studukes

vista update stopping emails
i updated vista on the 3rd and now internet explorer keeps shutting down and
restarting and my emails stopped working, restored the laptop to an earlier
date and everything was working fine then the laptop automaticly updated and
im back to internet explorer shutting down and restarting and my emails not
working.

these were the updates

Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.35.24.0)

Installation date: ‎03/‎06/‎2008 20:57

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

Install this update to revise the definition files used to detect spyware
and other potentially unwanted software. Once you have installed this item,
it cannot be removed.

Update for Windows Vista (KB940510)

Installation date: ‎03/‎06/‎2008 21:11

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

Install this update to enable Windows Vista to detect software that bypasses
product activation and interferes with normal Windows operation.

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (KB936330)

Installation date: ‎03/‎06/‎2008 21:55

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) is an update to Windows Vista that
addresses key feedback from our customers. Windows Vista SP1 addresses
specific reliability and performance issues, supports new types of hardware
and adds support for several emerging standards. After you install this item,
you will have to restart your computer.

Re: vista update stopping emails
I'd very much doubt that the Defender definitions update would cause such
behavior.

According to the KB article, "Installing [KB940510] does not affect the
functionality of your operating system."

That leaves us with the the install of Vista SP1 or Vista SP1 itself being a
possible causes of the behavior, but certainly not the only possible causes.

1. Let's start with the least-drastic possible causes: Internet Explorer
Add-ons.

In no certain order:

How to troubleshoot Internet Explorer 7 issues in Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936215

How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213

Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts (Guided Help)

If no joy...

2. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? What
(if any)? Were any of these applications running when you installed Vista
SP1?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

studukes wrote:
> i updated vista on the 3rd and now internet explorer keeps shutting down
> and
> restarting and my emails stopped working, restored the laptop to an
> earlier
> date and everything was working fine then the laptop automaticly updated
> and
> im back to internet explorer shutting down and restarting and my emails
> not
> working.
>
> these were the updates
>
> Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.35.24.0)
>
> Installation date: ‎03/‎06/‎2008 20:57
>
> Installation status: Successful
>
> Update type: Important
>
> Install this update to revise the definition files used to detect spyware
> and other potentially unwanted software. Once you have installed this
> item,
> it cannot be removed.
>
> Update for Windows Vista (KB940510)
>
> Installation date: ‎03/‎06/‎2008 21:11
>
> Installation status: Successful
>
> Update type: Important
>
> Install this update to enable Windows Vista to detect software that
> bypasses
> product activation and interferes with normal Windows operation.
>
> Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (KB936330)
>
> Installation date: ‎03/‎06/‎2008 21:55
>
> Installation status: Successful
>
> Update type: Important
>
> Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) is an update to Windows Vista that
> addresses key feedback from our customers. Windows Vista SP1 addresses
> specific reliability and performance issues, supports new types of
> hardware
> and adds support for several emerging standards. After you install this
> item, you will have to restart your computer.

bnoll123

RE: vista update stopping emails
I am having a similar problem. When Windows automatically updates, Internet
Explorer stops working completely. I click on the icon, get a brief response
of the computer thinking about it, then nothing. So, I perform a system
restore and invariably (3 times now) the last update was "Windows Vista
Update". After system restore, Explorer works again. Most importantly to me,
this takes anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes to do because when I go to shut
down my computer it will stay on a "Logging Off..." screen until I force it
to shutdown. After turning it back on, I then perform the system restore. Why
doesn't MS correct the update instead of consumers having to "workaround"
with these fixes listed in PA Bear's reply?

charleswehner@hotmail.com

On 2 Nov., 17:19, bnoll123 <bnoll...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I am having a similar problem. When Windows automaticallyupdates, Internet
> Explorer stops working completely. I click on the icon, get a brief response
> of the computer thinking about it, then nothing. So, I perform a system
> restore and invariably (3 times now) the last update was "WindowsVista
> Update". After system restore, Explorer works again. Most importantly to me,
> this takes anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes to do because when I go to shut
> down my computer it will stay on a "Logging Off..." screen until I force it
> to shutdown. After turning it back on, I then perform the system restore.Why
> doesn't MS correct the update instead of consumers having to "workaround"
> with these fixes listed in PA Bear's reply?
>

> "studukes" wrote:
> > i updatedvistaon the 3rd and now internet explorer keeps shutting down and
> > restarting and my emails stopped working, restored the laptop to an earlier
> > date and everything was working fine then the laptop automaticly updated and
> > im back to internet explorer shutting down and restarting and my emailsnot
> > working.

> > these were theupdates

> > Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.35.24.0)

> > Installation date: 03/06/2008 20:57

> > Installation status: Successful

> > Update type: Important

> > Install this update to revise the definition files used to detect spyware
> > and other potentially unwanted software. Once you have installed this item,
> > it cannot be removed.

> > Update for WindowsVista(KB940510)

> > Installation date: 03/06/2008 21:11

> > Installation status: Successful

> > Update type: Important

> > Install this update to enable WindowsVistato detect software that bypasses
> > product activation and interferes with normal Windows operation.

> > WindowsVistaService Pack 1 (KB936330)

> > Installation date: 03/06/2008 21:55

> > Installation status: Successful

> > Update type: Important

> > WindowsVistaService Pack 1 (SP1) is an update to WindowsVistathat
> > addresses key feedback from our customers. WindowsVistaSP1 addresses
> > specific reliability and performance issues, supports new types of hardware
> > and adds support for several emerging standards. After you install thisitem,
> > you will have to restart your computer.- Zitierten Text ausblenden -

> - Zitierten Text anzeigen -

I work from Internet cafs, so the computers are not mine.

They CRASH. What happens is that without any warning, the screen goes
blank. The system reboots. All the programs that were open are closed.
All the work that was done is lost.

Then the system announces that it is downloading updates (usually 1 to
3). It takes five minutes, for which I am paying. It does this on the
same machine EVERY DAY.

At home, I have a computer that is not on the Internet. The only
software on board is from a secure source. There is no danger of a
virus. Every time it boots, it announces that I need to update McAfee.
It also opens up other screens, to offer other "services" from the
Internet - although the modem is not connected. In other words, it
offers FALSE PROMISES.

Even as I work, distracting messages are provided, constantly
reminding me to update McAfee. I have already cancelled the window,
and do not want this intrusion.

Then we have Windows Media Viewer. What used to happen was that when
an AVI file was offered, it opened a little window to say the file-
type is not supported. Simultaneously, it announced "converting the
file-type" and then ran the movie. Now it has stopped doing that, and
hangs.

When I investigate why this and other software hangs, I get messages
like "error 2048", "Error Code 80004005, unknown error", and
"Mediaimpression no longer functioning".

Cds burned on the machine cannot be read on any other machine - I have
tried many.

The search-engine does not find things that can be found laboriously
by hand.

This machine is new - with no possibility of a virus.

This is the most buggy, twitchy, unpredictable operating system -
complete with the carefully crafted "update crash", that there has
ever been. CPUs are getting faster and faster. Microsoft operating
systems are getting slower and slower. They are full of gimmicks, like
slide-shows one does not want. However, they are only suitable for use
as toys. No way can one describe such an operating system as a tool.

Those who run an office need to be warned. One could say, a Vista
computer is a BROKEN computer. Of course the Microsoft people and
their admirers will deliver pompous lectures, instructing the user to
"reconfigure" the system. However, writers, accountants, musicians,
photographers and others should not be required to learn an
obsolescent "reconfiguration technique" - which is essentially a
REPAIR. They should not need a "workaround" either. The system should
be supplied WORKING.

When I began being professionally involved with computers in 1962,
there were no integrated circuits, not even silicon. We built
germanium diode-resistor logic machines. Subsequently, I followed the
whole process of evolution of the machines. I built computers out of
Texas 74 series chips, and ultimately wrote megabytes of code for
stored-program machines.

Instead of giving us gimmicks, Microsoft should have programmed in
this way: First it tests for a connected modem, then it offers
Internet services. No modem, no broken promises. That is how
professionals work.

The PC-DOS operating system on the IBM came from Microsoft. If a
printer was not connected, the machine hung. At that same time, I
wrote a machine-code printer-driver for a Forth machine, and built in
a timeout feature. So my code was better than IBM code. I had not
allowed the software to provide a "hanging feature".

Manufacturers of computers should seriously consider Linux and other
options in place of Microsoft, if they want to avoid complaints. When
the lay public buy a computer that does not work, they usually
instinctively blame the hardware manufacturer.

Whatever operating system replaces Microsoft products, it has to be
compatible - so that all the third-party software like Photoshop
continues to run.

Charles Douglas Wehner
Harry Johnston [MVP]

charleswehner@hotmail.com wrote:

> I work from Internet cafs, so the computers are not mine.
>
> They CRASH.

Sounds like you should consider a different cafe, although to be fair, most of
them are probably pretty incompetent.

> Then the system announces that it is downloading updates (usually 1 to
> 3). It takes five minutes, for which I am paying. It does this on the
> same machine EVERY DAY.

This is definitely the Cafe's fault. Sounds like they're using software to
prevent system changes, which means the updates are always needed.

> At home, I have a computer that is not on the Internet. The only
> software on board is from a secure source. There is no danger of a
> virus. Every time it boots, it announces that I need to update McAfee.

It's the McAfee software doing this. I don't see any reason to blame Microsoft!

> It also opens up other screens, to offer other "services" from the
> Internet - although the modem is not connected. In other words, it
> offers FALSE PROMISES.

I think you'll find these are also coming from McAfee or another third party.

> Then we have Windows Media Viewer. What used to happen was that when
> an AVI file was offered, it opened a little window to say the file-
> type is not supported. Simultaneously, it announced "converting the
> file-type" and then ran the movie. Now it has stopped doing that, and
> hangs.

Did you install Vista on this machine yourself? Sounds to me like the vendor
seriously messed the installation up. I assure you most installations of Vista
do not have these kinds of problems.

Harry.
charleswehner@hotmail.com

Re: vista update stopping emails
On 2 Nov., 23:49, "Harry Johnston [MVP]" <ha...@scms.waikato.ac.nz>
wrote:
> charlesweh...@hotmail.com wrote:
> > I work from Internet cafs, so the computers are not mine.

> > They CRASH.

> Sounds like you should consider a different cafe, although to be fair, most of
> them are probably pretty incompetent.
>
> > Then the system announces that it is downloading updates (usually 1 to
> > 3). It takes five minutes, for which I am paying. It does this on the
> > same machine EVERY DAY.

> This is definitely the Cafe's fault. *Sounds like they're using software to
> prevent system changes, which means the updates are always needed.
>
> > At home, I have a computer that is not on the Internet. The only
> > software on board is from a secure source. There is no danger of a
> > virus. Every time it boots, it announces that I need to update McAfee.

> It's the McAfee software doing this. *I don't see any reason to blame Microsoft!
>
> > It also opens up other screens, to offer other "services" from the
> > Internet - although the modem is not connected. In other words, it
> > offers FALSE PROMISES.

> I think you'll find these are also coming from McAfee or another third party.
>
> > Then we have Windows Media Viewer. What used to happen was that when
> > an AVI file was offered, it opened a little window to say the file-
> > type is not supported. Simultaneously, it announced "converting the
> > file-type" and then ran the movie. Now it has stopped doing that, and
> > hangs.

> Did you install Vista on this machine yourself? *Sounds to me like the vendor
> seriously messed the installation up. *I assure you most installations of Vista
> do not have these kinds of problems.
>
> * *Harry.

There are plenty of apologists for Bill Gates and his sidekicks.
However, fact is fact.

There are MANY computers involved at MANY cafs, and also my own brand-
new laptop.

They all are full of "Whistles and Bells", like a computer game. As I
said, they are unstable, twitchy, flashy, all-singing all-dancing,
when what one really wants is a quiet, stable operating system like
Apple (any) or Windows 95.

Of course, a Windows 95 system would need to be updated to take
advantage of the latest CPUs. Updating does not mean allowing the
system to seize control from the user - which is what other Microsoft
systems do.

One could see the way things were going with Windows 98. Not only did
it offer very little more that Windows 95, but it took up much more
space. When an office manager wanted to install new software, he would
ask a secretary to do it (within half an hour). Instead, after
installing, it would announce "Windows 98 is closing down", followed
by "Rebooting", followed by "Testing this" and "Testing that". Then it
would reboot, and do it again. And again. And again. A whole day would
go by, until the VICTIM of Microsoft was obliged to pull the plug.
Otherwise, the office staff could not go home.

The "talking paper-clip" of Word was just another example of the
childish mentality of the DESIGNERS at Microsoft. PROGRAMMERS they are
not.

Windows XP was an experiment in new interrupt-handling during
multitasking. It would cut off the data-flow abruptly, with no
provision for data retrieval, at each interrupt. Result: SALAD on the
printer, and coloured stripes on the scanned-in image files.

They worked around this miscalculation by allowing only CERTIFIED
DRIVERS on XP. This meant that people who had bought many devices -
scanners, printers, cameras &c. - were left searching for drivers and
for the method of installing them. A REPAIR JOB, in other words.

The worst example of Microsoft getting it wrong is, of course, the
CRASH (mentioned above).

Professionals DO NOT program crashes.

It is NOT the fault of the user. CRASHES SHOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE.

If a crash occurs due to a unintentional bug (a byte wrongly written,
or whatever), it is understandable. As a mater of POLICY, bug-writing
is inexcusable.

Windows Media Viewer was malfunctioning from the day it was bought,
preinstalled on the laptop. It is a Microsoft program running under a
Microsoft operating system.

Business people around the world have put up with too much liberty-
taking from Microsoft. The time-wasting must have cost the world a
fortune. Time is money.

A new operating system should function out of the box, with no
distractions and crashes.

Charles Douglas Wehner

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: vista update stopping emails
charleswehner@hotmail.com wrote:

> There are plenty of apologists for Bill Gates and his sidekicks. However,
> fact is fact.

And the fact is, *most* machines work OK. If a particular machine is failing,
there's something wrong with it.

> There are MANY computers involved at MANY cafs,

As I said, I suspect most cafes are not run by the technically competent.

> and also my own brand-new laptop.

Again I ask: did you install Vista on this yourself, or did you use the
preinstalled version - which is probably packed full of third-party crapware?

> [...] when what one really wants is a quiet, stable operating system like
> Apple (any) or Windows 95.

Windows 95? Stable???

> The worst example of Microsoft getting it wrong is, of course, the CRASH
> (mentioned above).

Absent more details, it isn't possible to determine the cause, but I'd be
willing to bet that it's third-party software. Best guess: something the cafe
is using to reset the state of the machines between users.

> It is NOT the fault of the user. CRASHES SHOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE.

I agree in principle, but there's just no way to get from here to there. No
existing operating system can prevent third-party software from causing system
crashes; we'd have to redesign from scratch. I'd very much like the computing
community to redesign from scratch (not just the operating systems but also the
standards for hardware, ethernet, www, the internet, and almost everything else)
but I can't see any plausible way for this to happen.

> They worked around this miscalculation by allowing only CERTIFIED
> DRIVERS on XP.

Which way do you want it? If you allow uncertified third-party drivers, there's
no realistic way to prevent those drivers from crashing the system. Plus, it
should be noted that it was always possible to override the warning and install
an uncertified driver anyway.

> Windows Media Viewer was malfunctioning from the day it was bought,
> preinstalled on the laptop. It is a Microsoft program running under a
> Microsoft operating system.

Installed by a third party.

Harry.
Harry Johnston [MVP]

I wrote:

>> The worst example of Microsoft getting it wrong is, of course, the CRASH
>> (mentioned above).

> Absent more details, it isn't possible to determine the cause, but I'd
> be willing to bet that it's third-party software. Best guess: something
> the cafe is using to reset the state of the machines between users.

On second thoughts, I believe Microsoft also provide some software to do this,
and I wouldn't trust that software either, particularly in this context. So
there is a chance it's Microsoft's fault - although a competent tech wouldn't be
using those techniques in the first place.

Harry.