SP3 update "Cannot copy file..."

Victoria

SP3 update "Cannot copy file..."
Can someone guide me thru this please. I get various "Cannot copy file" one
is a ntoskrnl.exe and another is sysrestp.chm. It states "to ensure that the
location specified below is correct or change it and insert "windows XP
system file" in the drive you specify. Then in a little window it has
C:\windows\system32 as an incorrect location, I guess because it errors out
even when I hit "retry" It gives me the option to update without these
files.. is that a smart idea? As I mentioned I have ran into 2 of these
everytime I retry the SP3 update. In addition, can anyone suggest how I can
get rid of this annoying popup that comes from "Uptown Engine" and a
"Malware" Ad that has downloaded a background that says I'm underattack if I
don't download their spyware program... These get irritating and I can't seem
to permantely delete them. Thanks Sooo much in advance for any assistance I
can get.

Re: SP3 update "Cannot copy file..."
I'd address the "spyware" issues first, Victoria.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
(http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use.
It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware with
assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html,
http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums for review

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Victoria wrote:
> Can someone guide me thru this please. I get various "Cannot copy file"
> one is a ntoskrnl.exe and another is sysrestp.chm. It states "to ensure
> that the location specified below is correct or change it and insert
> "windows XP system file" in the drive you specify. Then in a little window
> it has C:\windows\system32 as an incorrect location, I guess because it
> errors out even when I hit "retry" It gives me the option to update
> without
> these files.. is that a smart idea? As I mentioned I have ran into 2 of
> these everytime I retry the SP3 update. In addition, can anyone suggest
> how I can get rid of this annoying popup that comes from "Uptown Engine"
> and a "Malware" Ad that has downloaded a background that says I'm
> underattack if I don't download their spyware program... These get
> irritating and I can't seem to permantely delete them. Thanks Sooo much
> in
> advance for any assistance I can get.

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: SP3 update "Cannot copy file..."
Victoria,

You need to get rid of ALL the malware prior to installing SP3.
Below are some reputable anti-malware forums ... please read the
guideline of the forum of your choice prior to posting there:

http://www.atribune.org/forums/index.php?showforum=9
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/...splay.php?f=25
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Malwa..._Here-f37.html
http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum...?showforum=170
http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5

AFTER the system is deemed to be clean, please read these:

Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3): Installation Guide
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=33296

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
*-343-* FDNY