"The page failed to load"

Russ

"The page failed to load"
Legitimate copy of Win Vista Ultimate SP1, all updates through last week ...

When I attempt to open Windows Update, I get an error message "The page
failed to load".

Re: "The page failed to load"

Support for Windows Update:

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Russ wrote:
> Legitimate copy of Win Vista Ultimate SP1, all updates through last week
>
> When I attempt to open Windows Update, I get an error message "The page
> failed to load".

Re: "The page failed to load"
PS: See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

> Support for Windows Update:
>

> Russ wrote:
>> Legitimate copy of Win Vista Ultimate SP1, all updates through last week
>>
>> When I attempt to open Windows Update, I get an error message "The page
>> failed to load".

Cathie

Re: "The page failed to load"
Problem solved.

Evidently it was caused by the installation of "Xerobank Browser" version
2.0.0.14a. This application is a version of the Firefox Browser based on
Tor, and allows anonymous browsing. I installed it, not because I needed it,
but I was curious as to how it worked. After a trial run, I left it
installed and then, realizing it was Update Tuesday, attempted to check for
updates that may have been added today. That is when I got the "The page
failed to load".

Another person tried to help me and mentioned the Hosts file. This made me
think of the internet, which took me back to the Xerobank installation. I
uninstalled it and tried Win Update. Still no page. I then rebooted and
tried Win Update again. I got it and found that there was a new version of
Windows Defender.

All, again, is allright with the world and Windows Update will update (when
I want it to do so).

But beware of Xerobank Browser. I don't think the software is malicious, but
they've got a bad bug.

Russ
> PS: See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>>
>> Support for Windows Update:
>>

>> Russ wrote:
>>> Legitimate copy of Win Vista Ultimate SP1, all updates through last week
>>>
>>> When I attempt to open Windows Update, I get an error message "The page
>>> failed to load".

Cathie

Re: "The page failed to load"
Just so you guys and gals understand what just happened, I sent the first
message through my computer (Russ) and the second (and this one) through my
wife's laptop. That is why one was sent from "Russ" and the other from
"Cathie".

Russ

"Cathie" <c.coovernospam@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Problem solved.
>
> Evidently it was caused by the installation of "Xerobank Browser" version
> 2.0.0.14a. This application is a version of the Firefox Browser based on
> Tor, and allows anonymous browsing. I installed it, not because I needed
> it, but I was curious as to how it worked. After a trial run, I left it
> installed and then, realizing it was Update Tuesday, attempted to check
> for updates that may have been added today. That is when I got the "The
> page failed to load".
>
> Another person tried to help me and mentioned the Hosts file. This made me
> think of the internet, which took me back to the Xerobank installation. I
> uninstalled it and tried Win Update. Still no page. I then rebooted and
> tried Win Update again. I got it and found that there was a new version of
> Windows Defender.
>
> All, again, is allright with the world and Windows Update will update
> (when I want it to do so).
>
> But beware of Xerobank Browser. I don't think the software is malicious,
> but they've got a bad bug.
>
> Russ
>> PS: See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798
>> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>>> Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
>>> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527
>>>
>>> Support for Windows Update:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusupport

Re: "The page failed to load"
Thanks for your feedback, Russ. Making IE the default browser may have
resolved the problem, too.

Cathie wrote:
> Just so you guys and gals understand what just happened, I sent the first
> message through my computer (Russ) and the second (and this one) through
> my
> wife's laptop. That is why one was sent from "Russ" and the other from
> "Cathie".
>
> Russ
>

> "Cathie" <c.coovernospam@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> Problem solved.
>>
>> Evidently it was caused by the installation of "Xerobank Browser" version
>> 2.0.0.14a. This application is a version of the Firefox Browser based on
>> Tor, and allows anonymous browsing. I installed it, not because I needed
>> it, but I was curious as to how it worked. After a trial run, I left it
>> installed and then, realizing it was Update Tuesday, attempted to check
>> for updates that may have been added today. That is when I got the "The
>> page failed to load".
>>
>> Another person tried to help me and mentioned the Hosts file. This made
>> me
>> think of the internet, which took me back to the Xerobank installation. I
>> uninstalled it and tried Win Update. Still no page. I then rebooted and
>> tried Win Update again. I got it and found that there was a new version
>> of
>> Windows Defender.
>>
>> All, again, is allright with the world and Windows Update will update
>> (when I want it to do so).
>>
>> But beware of Xerobank Browser. I don't think the software is malicious,
>> but they've got a bad bug.
>>
>> Russ
>>> PS: See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

Ryan

Re: "The page failed to load"
I looked in firefox addons & in programs & feartures but i can't find
Xerobank where & how did you remove it from your computer?
Shenan Stanley

Re: "The page failed to load"
Ryan wrote:
> I looked in firefox addons & in programs & feartures but i can't
> find Xerobank where & how did you remove it from your computer?

The above is all one might see with a newsreader.
This is because you are replying to a conversationg that ended over one year
ago. June 4, 2008.
Please quote some of the previous message in the future - particularly when
replying to a message that old.

Entire Conversation:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...092747f000135/

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Micheal Jung

Re: "The page failed to load"
I am also experiencing this error and can't find the xerobank browser

Micheal Jung wrote:
> I am also experiencing this error and can't find the xerobank
> browser

Did you ever install it? This is not something that just *appears* on your
computer. You would have had to download it and install it yourself. It is
not a virus, trojan, worm, spyware, adware that I know of. It is a
legitimate product that has to be gotten manually by you or those who use
your computer system and have the rights necessary to install applications.

Now -having said that and if you are still convinced that XeroBank Browser
is your issue - why haven't you gone and looked through the support and FAQs
of the company you originally downloaded the browser through? Specifically
https://xerobank.com/, their support section is here:
https://xerobank.com/support/.

I am doubting your issue has anything to do with this browser. If you read
the original conversation you were replying to - I'd like you to compare
your situation and the original posters *very closely*. Recall if you ever
loaded the "XeroBank Browser".

Now - let's get to *your* problem.

Please provide Operating system (edition and service pack level,
the more detail, the better.):

Start button --> RUN
(no "RUN"? Press the "Windows Key" + R on your keyboard)
--> type in:
winver
--> Click OK.

The picture at the top of the window that opens will give you the general
(Operating System name) while the line starting with the word "version" will
give you the rest of the story. Post _both_ in response to this message
verbatim. ;-)

Now that you have provided your WIndows edition and version, let's move
on to some basic cleanup that can be done on WIndows XP or Windows
Vista...

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

if you wish.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

Reboot.

Then follow the instructions here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Reboot.

Try to get updates again.

Knowing what OS (edition and version) you are using will help
troubleshoot beyond the above tips - if you still have issues.
You will have to come back and let everyone know.

If you do have to come back - please provide details. What errors
you are seeing (word-for-word, not your interpretation) and what it
is you are doing when you see that error/message. You definitely
should provide the operating system (edition and version) you are
using if you expect to get any directed support.

In *any* case - please come back - report on your progress. Reply
to this very posting and let everyone know how things went/are
going. It is archived and floats about for many years after it is
originally posted (as is obvious by the replies this one has gotten
over a year after it was originally posted.) Old posts, if read and
comprehended, can help solve users problems with many different
things.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP