XP Service Pack 3 & Intenet connection

HK

XP Service Pack 3 & Intenet connection
I have a relatively slow connection & SP3 failed to install automatically. I
downloaded it (all 316 MB), disconnected from the internet, & shut all else
down before I installed it.
My problem is that after installation I could not re-connect to the internet
(packets sent, none received). I finally resorted to uninstalling SP3 & all
works well.
Has anyone else had this problem? Is there some "switch" which needs
setting in SP3?

Thanks,

Herb

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: XP Service Pack 3 & Intenet connection
Herb,

1) Is a 3rd party firewall installed ?
2) Was AntiVirus|security suite software actively monitoring the system
when SP3 was applied ?

Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3): Installation Guide
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=33296

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

HK wrote:

> I have a relatively slow connection & SP3 failed to install automatically. I
> downloaded it (all 316 MB), disconnected from the internet, & shut all else
> down before I installed it.
> My problem is that after installation I could not re-connect to the internet
> (packets sent, none received). I finally resorted to uninstalling SP3 & all
> works well.
> Has anyone else had this problem? Is there some "switch" which needs
> setting in SP3?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Herb

Re: XP Service Pack 3 & Intenet connection
CrystalBall© sez:

Device Manager and Network Connections may be blank after you install
Windows XP Service Pack 3:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953791

About Norton AntiVirus (SymProtect) & installing WinXP SP3
http://windowssecrets.com/2008/05/29...Windows-XP-SP3
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=33522
http://norton.lithium.com/norton/boa...d=1624#M162 4
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

HK wrote:
> I have a relatively slow connection & SP3 failed to install automatically.
> I downloaded it (all 316 MB), disconnected from the internet, & shut all
> else down before I installed it.
> My problem is that after installation I could not re-connect to the
> internet
> (packets sent, none received). I finally resorted to uninstalling SP3 &
> all
> works well.
> Has anyone else had this problem? Is there some "switch" which needs
> setting in SP3?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Herb

HK

RE: XP Service Pack 3 & Intenet connection
Re: MowGreen & PA Bear's replies:

I use Panda IS 2008 for my anti-virus; it had been shut down durning SP3
installation. I believe the Panda firewall was off at that time.

The network connections were not changed. I tried several different
configurations, but did not try to make a new connection to replace the old.
I will see if the suggested note on the registry helps.

Thanks,

Herb

"HK" wrote:

> I have a relatively slow connection & SP3 failed to install automatically. I
> downloaded it (all 316 MB), disconnected from the internet, & shut all else
> down before I installed it.
> My problem is that after installation I could not re-connect to the internet
> (packets sent, none received). I finally resorted to uninstalling SP3 & all
> works well.
> Has anyone else had this problem? Is there some "switch" which needs
> setting in SP3?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Herb

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: XP Service Pack 3 & Intenet connection
HK ... > I believe the Panda firewall was off at that time.

It is *possible* that the Panda firewall was not disabled and the
winsock stack was damaged.
Try rebuilding it since doing so will cause no harm
DISABLE the Panda firewall first, please. Either consult the included
Help file|User guide or Panda's web site to learn how this is
accomplished. *ENABLE* the native XP firewall if the system will be
connected to the network|internet when you're doing this.

Open a Command Prompt
Click Start > Run > type in

cmd
Click OK or press Enter
At the prompt, type in the following, pressing Enter after *each command*

netsh winsock reset
exit

Reboot the system and see connectivity if is restored.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

HK wrote:

> Re: MowGreen & PA Bear's replies:
>
> I use Panda IS 2008 for my anti-virus; it had been shut down durning SP3
> installation. I believe the Panda firewall was off at that time.
>
> The network connections were not changed. I tried several different
> configurations, but did not try to make a new connection to replace the old.
> I will see if the suggested note on the registry helps.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Herb
>
> "HK" wrote:
>

>>I have a relatively slow connection & SP3 failed to install automatically. I
>>downloaded it (all 316 MB), disconnected from the internet, & shut all else
>>down before I installed it.
>>My problem is that after installation I could not re-connect to the internet
>>(packets sent, none received). I finally resorted to uninstalling SP3 & all
>>works well.
>>Has anyone else had this problem? Is there some "switch" which needs
>>setting in SP3?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Herb

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: XP Service Pack 3 & Intenet connection
<snip>
> Reboot the system and see connectivity if is restored.
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten

Or the reverse <w> .. See IF connectivity is restored.

MG