Trouble with Service Pack 3 Update!

bri8_eyes

Trouble with Service Pack 3 Update!
I'm pulling my hair out by now! When i update everything goes to plan until
I'm asked to restart. Then funny enough, or not so after 5 days of hitting
the restore button, Windows XP fails to start back up properly and I'm given
the option to start in safe mode. I don't get any error messages the machine
just crashes on me.
Can anybody help.

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Trouble with Service Pack 3 Update!
Check the svcpack.log located in the WINDOWS directory [folder] for a
clue as to which driver or 'file' is causing the issue.

Did you read this before applying SP3 ? -

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

bri8_eyes wrote:

> I'm pulling my hair out by now! When i update everything goes to plan until
> I'm asked to restart. Then funny enough, or not so after 5 days of hitting
> the restore button, Windows XP fails to start back up properly and I'm given
> the option to start in safe mode. I don't get any error messages the machine
> just crashes on me.
> Can anybody help.

Re: Trouble with Service Pack 3 Update!
See
http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...ng-xp-sp3.aspx
[NB: The above has been updated many times and now includes "a small tool
that will detect the IntelPPM problem and mitigate it before installing
(WinXP SP3)."]

e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.

• US:

• CA:

• UK:

• AU:

• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

bri8_eyes wrote:
> I'm pulling my hair out by now! When i update everything goes to plan
> until
> I'm asked to restart. Then funny enough, or not so after 5 days of hitting
> the restore button, Windows XP fails to start back up properly and I'm
> given
> the option to start in safe mode. I don't get any error messages the
> machine just crashes on me.
> Can anybody help.

bri8_eyes

Re: Trouble with Service Pack 3 Update!
Just a note for anybody getting the same problem.
I have a Compaq computer, on the manufactures support site they have a patch
"sp37394" to download before the XP SP3 which stops this problem. It seems
to be a problem with AMD processors. They also give step to step info how to
get Windows working without a full factory restore.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> See
> http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...ng-xp-sp3.aspx
> [NB: The above has been updated many times and now includes "a small tool
> that will detect the IntelPPM problem and mitigate it before installing
> (WinXP SP3)."]

> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.
>
> • US:
>
> • CA:
>
> • UK:
>
> • AU:
>
> • Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
> Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> bri8_eyes wrote:
> > I'm pulling my hair out by now! When i update everything goes to plan
> > until
> > I'm asked to restart. Then funny enough, or not so after 5 days of hitting
> > the restore button, Windows XP fails to start back up properly and I'm
> > given
> > the option to start in safe mode. I don't get any error messages the
> > machine just crashes on me.
> > Can anybody help.

bri8_eyes

"bri8_eyes" wrote:

> I'm pulling my hair out by now! When i update everything goes to plan until
> I'm asked to restart. Then funny enough, or not so after 5 days of hitting
> the restore button, Windows XP fails to start back up properly and I'm given
> the option to start in safe mode. I don't get any error messages the machine
> just crashes on me.
> Can anybody help.

Re: Trouble with Service Pack 3 Update!
You receive a “Stop 0x0000007E” error message after you upgrade to Windows
XP Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 on a non-Intel-processor-based computer
(Revised 06 May-08)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953356 <=offered by Windows/Automatic
Updates to affected machines starting 10 Jun-08