when is service pack 3 going to be a critical update?

biff

when is service pack 3 going to be a critical update?
What date will service pack 3 become a critical update?

So like if you have the download updates but let me choose when to install
option, at what point will service pack 3 be included?
biff

RE: when is service pack 3 going to be a critical update?
Just to clarify. When will you be forced to install service pack 3 assuming
you see there are updates that have downloaded and you wish to install
updates but you don't know if service pack 3 is part of those updates.

"biff" wrote:

> What date will service pack 3 become a critical update?
>
> So like if you have the download updates but let me choose when to install
> option, at what point will service pack 3 be included?

Shenan Stanley

biff wrote:
> Just to clarify. When will you be forced to install service pack 3
> assuming you see there are updates that have downloaded and you
> wish to install updates but you don't know if service pack 3 is
> part of those updates.

You are never forced to install any updates.
Updating is a choice.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

biff

Re: when is service pack 3 going to be a critical update?
Shehan

What I am asking is a little confusing and may not be the case.

But say an administrator has set someone's PC to "Download updates for me,
but let me choose when to install them"

so usually updates are downloaded and a user will see the exclamation icon
in the system trey showing them they can install a critical update (since
they cannot go to windows update do to insufficient privileges)

at what point will service pack 3 be part of the automatically downloaded
updates so that when they again see the exclamation point and just hit
install updates, service pack 3 will install because it was included as a
critical update (unbeknownst to them)?

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> biff wrote:
> > Just to clarify. When will you be forced to install service pack 3
> > assuming you see there are updates that have downloaded and you
> > wish to install updates but you don't know if service pack 3 is
> > part of those updates.

> You are never forced to install any updates.
> Updating is a choice.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Chris Wood

Re: when is service pack 3 going to be a critical update?
Biff,

You might want to keep your eyes on this
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894199/en-us

Chris

"biff" <biff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Shehan
>
> What I am asking is a little confusing and may not be the case.
>
> But say an administrator has set someone's PC to "Download updates for me,
> but let me choose when to install them"
>
> so usually updates are downloaded and a user will see the exclamation icon
> in the system trey showing them they can install a critical update (since
> they cannot go to windows update do to insufficient privileges)
>
> at what point will service pack 3 be part of the automatically downloaded
> updates so that when they again see the exclamation point and just hit
> install updates, service pack 3 will install because it was included as a
> critical update (unbeknownst to them)?
>

> "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
>
>> biff wrote:
>> > Just to clarify. When will you be forced to install service pack 3
>> > assuming you see there are updates that have downloaded and you
>> > wish to install updates but you don't know if service pack 3 is
>> > part of those updates.

>> You are never forced to install any updates.
>> Updating is a choice.
>>
>> --
>> Shenan Stanley
>> MS-MVP
>> --
>> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Re: when is service pack 3 going to be a critical update?
WinXP SP3 will never be a critical update.

WinXP SP3 will never install without approval, if it's downloaded.

In about 2 years or so, WinXP SP2 will no longer be supported. At that
time, WinXP SP3 will have to be installed in order to be offered any further
Windows Updates whatsoever.

===================================

e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.

• US:

• CA:

• UK:

• AU:

• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3

Steps to take before you install WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

biff wrote:
> What date will service pack 3 become a critical update?
>
> So like if you have the download updates but let me choose when to install
> option, at what point will service pack 3 be included?

Harry Johnston [MVP]

biff wrote:

> But say an administrator has set someone's PC to "Download updates for me,
> but let me choose when to install them"
>
> so usually updates are downloaded and a user will see the exclamation icon
> in the system trey showing them they can install a critical update (since
> they cannot go to windows update do to insufficient privileges)
>
> at what point will service pack 3 be part of the automatically downloaded
> updates so that when they again see the exclamation point and just hit
> install updates, service pack 3 will install because it was included as a
> critical update (unbeknownst to them)?

The question you're trying to ask is: when will SP3 be distributed as an
automatic update?

As far as I can remember we haven't been given a specific date yet, just "summer".

Did you realise that if you can see the tray icon, you have the option of
looking at the list of updates before choosing to install? And in fact can
choose which updates to install? Just choose "Custom Install" at the first
dialog box.

Harry.