Shared Folder Options Missing After SP3 Install

Terry

Shared Folder Options Missing After SP3 Install
Great! First, the royal pain I had to get SP3 Installed (including having to
reset my registry - which btw the code in the post to create the Reset.cmd
file was wrong - why couldn't you just provide the file instead of having
users create it from code posted?)

NOW, my shared folders no longers can be accessed from my other computer
(asks for a password). The 'Share folder' option was completely missing from
the dialogue box. After wasting 30 minutes, I finally figured out that I had
run a whole new setup from the place where I normally would share a file. I
have my own firewall and HATE Windows firewall and the problems it creates.
I have now wasted an addition hour (besides the day it took me to find and do
the workaround to actually get SP3 installed).

If I was not so busy with work at this moment, I would DEFINITELY AND
WITHOUT A DOUBT buy a Mac. I already have one in the house and they are
1000% more stable and reliable.

Hell, SP3 even screwed up my standard (Arial) fonts after the registry was
reset.

A soon to be Mac-only customer.

Shenan Stanley

Re: Shared Folder Options Missing After SP3 Install
Terry wrote:
> Great! First, the royal pain I had to get SP3 Installed (including
> having to reset my registry - which btw the code in the post to
> create the Reset.cmd file was wrong - why couldn't you just provide
> the file instead of having users create it from code posted?)
>
> NOW, my shared folders no longers can be accessed from my other
> computer (asks for a password). The 'Share folder' option was
> completely missing from the dialogue box. After wasting 30
> minutes, I finally figured out that I had run a whole new setup
> from the place where I normally would share a file. I have my own
> firewall and HATE Windows firewall and the problems it creates. I
> have now wasted an addition hour (besides the day it took me to
> find and do the workaround to actually get SP3 installed).
>
> If I was not so busy with work at this moment, I would DEFINITELY
> AND WITHOUT A DOUBT buy a Mac. I already have one in the house and
> they are 1000% more stable and reliable.
>
> Hell, SP3 even screwed up my standard (Arial) fonts after the
> registry was reset.
>
> A soon to be Mac-only customer.

Enjoy!

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Robert Aldwinckle

>> A soon to be Mac-only customer.

> Enjoy!

Yeah...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5lo-crr0a0

(An oldy but goody.) <eg>

---

Terry

Re: Shared Folder Options Missing After SP3 Install
Well, I had 2 Macs first. Then a couple of PCs. There is already a new one
in the house. Hands down much better. It takes minutes not hours and days
of headaches to solve problems. I will enjoy.

Terry wrote:
> Well, I had 2 Macs first. Then a couple of PCs. There is already
> a new one in the house. Hands down much better. It takes minutes
> not hours and days of headaches to solve problems. I will enjoy.

A computer is a computer.

Sooner or later, something will happen and something will take hours/days.

Nothing is perfect. It's a matter of which one sucks less at a given moment
in time for a given instance for a given person. Just like everythign else.

I troubleshoot Windows, *nix and macintosh machines on a weekly basis. If
there is a system without flaw - I have not found it. Usually - it turns
out to be poor maintenance/improper testing & backup/user error - but on
occassion - things just plain don't work.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP