Reinstallation of XP Pro SP2 - Can not install any programs

Bertoloni

Reinstallation of XP Pro SP2 - Can not install any programs
I can not install any programs or use Windows Update. When I try to run the
update I get error 0xC80003FA. I am also unable to install any programs
whatsoever. In one case I get a "must install microsoft system installer"
and it is unable to do so. But first things first, how do I get the windows
update to work correctly? I tried the suggestion listed below about
renaming the softwaredistribution folder and then restarting windows update,
but that still does not work.

Some background info which I don't know if it is relevant or not: This copy
of XP Pro SP2 came new with a computer I used to have and is an OEM copy. I
gutted that computer and took some components and made a new computer. After
formatting the hard drive and reinstalling I kept getting this message box:

"One of the files containing the system's Registry data had to be recovered
by use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful"

Eventually Windows would fail to load up at all and I would get some message
along the lines of "Kernell.dll failed to load" or something of that nature
and the computer would just reset. So I would just keep reinstalling the
same copy hoping that something would work eventually. I really have no idea
what do now. Please help. Thanks.

The error code 0xc80003fA your receiving is hrReadVerifyFailure which means
it may have not been able to write to the Softwaredistribution folder.
What changes did you make before receiving this error? In the event you
receive this error again you may try the following:

Rename the SoftwareDistribution directory.
Click Start >Run
Type "Services.msc" (w/o quotes)
Press OK
Find "Automatic Update"
Stop the service.
Next, rename the "SoftwareDistribution" directory to "SDOLD". The directory
is located in the c:\Windows directory
Now, restart the Automatic Update service
Click Start >Run
Type "Services.msc" (w/o quotes)
Press OK
Find "Automatic Update"
Start the service.

Clearing the browser's cache
1. Click Tools > Internet Options
2. In the "Temporary Internet Files" section, click "Delete Cookies"
3. Click "Delete Files" click "Delete all offline content" click OK
4. In the "History" section, click "Clear History".
5. Click "OK".

TaurArian

RE: Reinstallation of XP Pro SP2 - Can not install any programs
One user who had this problem discovered "Actually my whole problem turned
out to be a bad RAM memory".

Worth checking seeing you "made a new computer".
--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008