Steps to take BEFORE Installing XP SP3

MowGreen [MVP]

Steps to take BEFORE Installing XP SP3
Save yourself some *major* grief. *Please* read this prior to applying
XP SP3:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Of *** special note ****, read the " If you are running antivirus
software " heading.

About half way through the KB article there are some *invaluable* links
to other KB articles for possible issues that may arise during the
application of SP3:
" Troubleshooting Windows XP SP3 installation "

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

John A

Re: Steps to take BEFORE Installing XP SP3
I followed those instructions and also disabled self protection on
Kaspersky AV.

After SP3 was installed two of my computers would start normally OK,
but neither would not start in Safe Mode - just rebooted prior to the
login screen.

With help from Microsoft support I recovered by:
- System restore to before SP3
- Uninstall AV (my idea)
- Install SP3 in Safe Mode
- Reinstall AV

.... and thankfully all is well

John

On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 10:57:06 -0700, "MowGreen [MVP]"
<mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote:

>Save yourself some *major* grief. *Please* read this prior to applying
>XP SP3:
>
>Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717
>
>Of *** special note ****, read the " If you are running antivirus
>software " heading.
>
>About half way through the KB article there are some *invaluable* links
>to other KB articles for possible issues that may arise during the
>application of SP3:
> " Troubleshooting Windows XP SP3 installation "
>

>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>===============
> *-343-* FDNY
>Never Forgotten
>===============

Re: Steps to take BEFORE Installing XP SP3
About Norton AntiVirus (SymProtect) & installing WinXP SP3
http://windowssecrets.com/2008/05/29...Windows-XP-SP3
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=33522
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

MowGreen [MVP] wrote:
> Save yourself some *major* grief. *Please* read this prior to applying
> XP SP3:
>
> Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717
>
> Of *** special note ****, read the " If you are running antivirus
> software " heading.
>
> About half way through the KB article there are some *invaluable* links
> to other KB articles for possible issues that may arise during the
> application of SP3:
> " Troubleshooting Windows XP SP3 installation "

TaurArian

RE: Steps to take BEFORE Installing XP SP3
Also -

IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3

"about Windows XP SP3 (XPSP3) and how it’ll work with the various released
versions of Internet Explorer"

Release notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936929

--

--------------------------------
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> Save yourself some *major* grief. *Please* read this prior to applying
> XP SP3:
>
> Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717
>
> Of *** special note ****, read the " If you are running antivirus
> software " heading.
>
> About half way through the KB article there are some *invaluable* links
> to other KB articles for possible issues that may arise during the
> application of SP3:
> " Troubleshooting Windows XP SP3 installation "
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Steps to take BEFORE Installing XP SP3
Did you attempt to uninstall SP3 from within normal Windows mode first ?
System restore should be used as a last resort; installing SP3 in Safe
Mode should also be a last resort.

Prefered Uninstallation Methods for SP3 in case of issues

1) Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel

2) If SP3 is not listed in ARP - show hidden files, folders, and system
files: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...l62.html#winxp

Navigate to
WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuninst
Run spuninst.exe

3) IF #1 and #2 are not available options - How To Safely, Sanely, and
Wisely Uninstall a Failed XP Service Pack 3 Installation
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=33246

See: 2. Recovery Console

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

John A wrote:

> I followed those instructions and also disabled self protection on
> Kaspersky AV.
>
> After SP3 was installed two of my computers would start normally OK,
> but neither would not start in Safe Mode - just rebooted prior to the
> login screen.
>
> With help from Microsoft support I recovered by:
> - System restore to before SP3
> - Uninstall AV (my idea)
> - Install SP3 in Safe Mode
> - Reinstall AV
>
> ... and thankfully all is well
>
> John
>
> On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 10:57:06 -0700, "MowGreen [MVP]"
> <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote:
>

>>Save yourself some *major* grief. *Please* read this prior to applying
>>XP SP3:
>>
>>Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3
>>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717
>>
>>Of *** special note ****, read the " If you are running antivirus
>>software " heading.
>>
>>About half way through the KB article there are some *invaluable* links
>>to other KB articles for possible issues that may arise during the
>>application of SP3:
>> " Troubleshooting Windows XP SP3 installation "
>>

>>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>>===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>>Never Forgotten

John A

Re: Steps to take BEFORE Installing XP SP3
It was Microsoft Support who suggested using system restore rather
than SP3 uninstall in my case. I was comfortable with that as I have
used SR many times without a problem. The bottom line is that it
worked and got my system operational again.

John

On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 11:24:50 -0700, "MowGreen [MVP]"