Re: Windows Installer 3.1 will not load

liebermanj

Re: Windows Installer 3.1 will not load
I followed your advice step by step and while the updates will download they
will not not initialize. If I do search on Microsoft to get each individual
update and load them one at a time it does work but not via the Installer as
you suggested below.
I am user an account with admin priviliges so that is not the case.
HELP!! - thanks

"TaurArian [MS-MVP]" wrote:

> Remove WU downloads from the temporary folder:-
>
> Stop the Automatic Updates service
>
> Click Start, Choose Run.
> In the Run box, type services.msc.
> Click OK.
> Right-click the Automatic Updates service.
> Click Stop.
> Stopping the service will take a moment.
>
> Delete the contents of the Download folder
> Click Start. Choose Run.
> In the Run box, type %windir%\SoftwareDistribution
> Click OK.
> Open the Download folder.
> Delete all contents of the Download folder.
> Close the window.
>
> Start the Automatic Updates service
> Click Start. Choose Run.
> In the Run box, type services.msc.
> Click OK.
> Right-click the Automatic Updates service.
> Click Start.
> Starting the service will take a moment.
>
> By deleting the contents of the Download folder - you have removed any downloaded
> updates.
>
> You can then download manually the WI and see if you can install it.
> Windows Installer 3.1 Redistributable (v2)
>
> If all okay, then reboot and try WU again for any updates required.
> --
>
> ==================================
> TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2007 - Australia
> ==================================
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> Need more help? http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=ph;en-us;6527
> (Links to web pages and MSKB Articles are posted for the purposes of keeping the
> information current)
>

> "Gary" <Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> |I had to rebuild XP home Edition SP2 and that was successful but when I tried
> | to get the latest Windows update the site downloaded Windows Installer 3.1
> | and put the shield with the ! mark inthe task tray indicating that I had
> | updates to install. When I tried to install it the install failed. I have
> | tried rebooting the machine, redownloading Installer all to no avail. I can
> | not update Windows and this application is sitting inthe task tray and I can
> | not get rid of it. Does anyone know what I did wrong?

TaurArian

Re: Windows Installer 3.1 will not load
The thread you attached to dates back to October 2006. Things change.

For you, try: Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update,
from Microsoft Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a
Windows XP installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

Ignore the title.

And always start a new thread rather than hijacking an old one.

Ta
--

--------------------------------
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008

"liebermanj" wrote:

> I followed your advice step by step and while the updates will download they
> will not not initialize. If I do search on Microsoft to get each individual
> update and load them one at a time it does work but not via the Installer as
> you suggested below.
> I am user an account with admin priviliges so that is not the case.
> HELP!! - thanks
>
> "TaurArian [MS-MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Remove WU downloads from the temporary folder:-
> >
> > Stop the Automatic Updates service
> >
> > Click Start, Choose Run.
> > In the Run box, type services.msc.
> > Click OK.
> > Right-click the Automatic Updates service.
> > Click Stop.
> > Stopping the service will take a moment.
> >
> > Delete the contents of the Download folder
> > Click Start. Choose Run.
> > In the Run box, type %windir%\SoftwareDistribution
> > Click OK.
> > Open the Download folder.
> > Delete all contents of the Download folder.
> > Close the window.
> >
> > Start the Automatic Updates service
> > Click Start. Choose Run.
> > In the Run box, type services.msc.
> > Click OK.
> > Right-click the Automatic Updates service.
> > Click Start.
> > Starting the service will take a moment.
> >
> > By deleting the contents of the Download folder - you have removed any downloaded
> > updates.
> >
> > You can then download manually the WI and see if you can install it.
> > Windows Installer 3.1 Redistributable (v2)
> > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
> >
> > If all okay, then reboot and try WU again for any updates required.
> > --
> >
> > ==================================
> > TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2007 - Australia
> > ==================================
> > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > Need more help? http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=ph;en-us;6527
> > (Links to web pages and MSKB Articles are posted for the purposes of keeping the
> > information current)
> >

> > "Gary" <Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > |I had to rebuild XP home Edition SP2 and that was successful but when I tried
> > | to get the latest Windows update the site downloaded Windows Installer 3.1
> > | and put the shield with the ! mark inthe task tray indicating that I had
> > | updates to install. When I tried to install it the install failed. I have
> > | tried rebooting the machine, redownloading Installer all to no avail. I can
> > | not update Windows and this application is sitting inthe task tray and I can
> > | not get rid of it. Does anyone know what I did wrong?

liebermanj

Re: Windows Installer 3.1 will not load
Appreciate the feedback however the problem is solved. I tried several other
'fixes' and the first download I tried was one for IE7 and that worked then I
did a complete download (over 30 fixes) and it worked. Now I need to drop XP
SP3. Thanks anyway