Windows XP, SP3 Requirements

jslow

Windows XP, SP3 Requirements
Hi,

I have a very basic question.
Do I need Windows XP, SP1 or SP2 installed before I can install Windows XP,
SP3?

I have an older IBM NetVista computer (with Windows XP Home) with Product
Recovery disks. If I reinstall my computer from the Recovery Disks, I will
not have either SP1 or SP2 installed. Some time ago, I tried to install SP1
but could never install it. After numerous discussions with Microsoft, they
advised that I not install it.

When SP2 came out, I installed it without problems. But now, if I have to
reinstall my computer, do I have to install SP2 before I can Install SP3?

I never recived a Windows XP Home Edition CD from IBM, so slipstreaming is
probably not possible with the Recovery Disks.

Thanks.
--
Dell 4700, WinXP SP2 Pro, 2.8 G Pentium 4, 160 G HD, 80 G Ext USB 2 HD, 512
MB RAM, IE & OE 6, NSW 2005 Premium, ZA 6.0.667.000, Ad-Aware, Spybot-Search

Re: Windows XP, SP3 Requirements
You must have WinXP SP1 or SP2 installed to be able to install SP3. If you
use the Recovery disk and end up with WinXP Gold, you can skip straight to
installing SP2. See
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...f3684dcbf4a0cb

Download SP2 installer:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...5-9e368d3cdb5a

Download SP3 installer:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...8-1e1555d4f3d4

Release notes for WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936929

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...2-8BFAC9ED416B

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...1/relnotes.htm

Steps to take before you install WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

NB: I can /assure/ you that you WILL need this KB article after you've (1)
used the Recovery disk, (2) installed SP2, and then (3) installed SP3! =>

Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP
installation:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

(Also applies to clean installs, upgrade installs, and Recovery installs)

e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.

• US:

• CA:

• UK:

• AU:

• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/