ENOUGH ALREADY, WHAT'S THE FIX FOR THE "AU" PROBLEM!!!!!!

thegunnsterr

ENOUGH ALREADY, WHAT'S THE FIX FOR THE "AU" PROBLEM!!!!!!
I have done EVERYTHING offered in this forum to fix this issue. NOTHING
works. I really don't have the time to spend to re-install the OS to fix
this. Enough already. I've seen so many other threads with exactly the same
issue, with no fix.

Re: ENOUGH ALREADY, WHAT'S THE FIX FOR THE "AU" PROBLEM!!!!!!
[What are you smoking, d00d?]

I'm sorry, my CrystalBall© is in the shop: What AU problem would that be?
Windows version?

Please see this page http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm then post back to this
thread with the information we'd need to be able to assist you properly.
--
~PA Bear

thegunnsterr wrote:
> I have done EVERYTHING offered in this forum to fix this issue. NOTHING
> works. I really don't have the time to spend to re-install the OS to fix
> this. Enough already. I've seen so many other threads with exactly the
> same
> issue, with no fix.

thegunnsterr

Re: ENOUGH ALREADY, WHAT'S THE FIX FOR THE "AU" PROBLEM!!!!!!
I have XP Media Center, and the specific problem is that I get either the
"error 1058" issue, which the fix for this has not worked for me. The other
issue is the 0x8DDD0018 error, which again the fix for has not worked.
The FIX offered for my issue is to type in "services.msc" and enable the
AU. I can change it to either automatic or manual, but then the status does
not change from "stopped". When doing this I recieve the 1058 error code.
Ridiculous cyclic deal here.
P.S. Nothing personal, I'm very frustrated.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [What are you smoking, d00d?]
>
> I'm sorry, my CrystalBall© is in the shop: What AU problem would that be?
> Windows version?
>
> Please see this page http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm then post back to this
> thread with the information we'd need to be able to assist you properly.
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> thegunnsterr wrote:
> > I have done EVERYTHING offered in this forum to fix this issue. NOTHING
> > works. I really don't have the time to spend to re-install the OS to fix
> > this. Enough already. I've seen so many other threads with exactly the
> > same
> > issue, with no fix.

Re: ENOUGH ALREADY, WHAT'S THE FIX FOR THE "AU" PROBLEM!!!!!!
CrystalBall's still in the shop: When did this problem first start? What
fixes are you referring to? Are you currently running WinXP MCE SP2 or SP3?
Did you recently reinstall Windows? If so, why and how did you do it? What
anti-virus application or security suite is installed? What anti-spyware
Have you opened a free support incident with MS?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

thegunnsterr wrote:
> I have XP Media Center, and the specific problem is that I get either the
> "error 1058" issue, which the fix for this has not worked for me. The
> other
> issue is the 0x8DDD0018 error, which again the fix for has not worked.
> The FIX offered for my issue is to type in "services.msc" and enable the
> AU. I can change it to either automatic or manual, but then the status
> does
> not change from "stopped". When doing this I recieve the 1058 error code.
> Ridiculous cyclic deal here.
> P.S. Nothing personal, I'm very frustrated.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> [What are you smoking, d00d?]
>>
>> I'm sorry, my CrystalBall© is in the shop: What AU problem would that be?
>> Windows version?
>>
>> Please see this page http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm then post back to this
>> thread with the information we'd need to be able to assist you properly.
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>
>> thegunnsterr wrote:
>>> I have done EVERYTHING offered in this forum to fix this issue. NOTHING
>>> works. I really don't have the time to spend to re-install the OS to fix
>>> this. Enough already. I've seen so many other threads with exactly the
>>> same
>>> issue, with no fix.

TaurArian

RE: ENOUGH ALREADY, WHAT'S THE FIX FOR THE "AU" PROBLEM!!!!!!
Stop your ranting and raving and scan the system for the presence of Vundo.
You may have a virus.

--

--------------------------------
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008

"thegunnsterr" wrote:

> I have done EVERYTHING offered in this forum to fix this issue. NOTHING
> works. I really don't have the time to spend to re-install the OS to fix
> this. Enough already. I've seen so many other threads with exactly the same
> issue, with no fix.

thegunnsterr

RE: ENOUGH ALREADY, WHAT'S THE FIX FOR THE "AU" PROBLEM!!!!!!
WOW.........u guys get easily offended!!!!!! Yeah I may be ranting, but I am
getting some answers.
Thanx TaurArian for your Vundo suggestion. It looks as though that is the
problem, but you've been the only one I found connecting that problem. Avast
seems to be the ONLY one that works for that. And yes I did have that, but
didn't know it.
PA Bear, no is the answer to all ur questions. I've never tried yet to
install SP3, so that wasn't an issue for me. I'm one that likes to update
things myself, so when just as always, I tried to go to the update website
and couldn't............well, like others here on the forum, I'm now on my
5th day trying to get this fixed.

So let me then say, that if you are having issues with Automatic Updates it
is probably due to a trojan of some sort. I had McAfee on my computer and
they failed me. I've not used Avast before, but it worked very well for me,
maybe it will for you as well.

"TaurArian" wrote:

> Stop your ranting and raving and scan the system for the presence of Vundo.
> You may have a virus.
>
> --
>
> --------------------------------
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008
> Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
>

> "thegunnsterr" wrote:
>
> > I have done EVERYTHING offered in this forum to fix this issue. NOTHING
> > works. I really don't have the time to spend to re-install the OS to fix
> > this. Enough already. I've seen so many other threads with exactly the same
> > issue, with no fix.

Shenan Stanley

thegunnsterr wrote:
> I have done EVERYTHING offered in this forum to fix this issue.
> NOTHING works. I really don't have the time to spend to re-install
> the OS to fix this. Enough already. I've seen so many other threads
> with exactly the same issue, with no fix.

Give up.
Seriously.
Go pay someone. It's possible it is beyond you.
Backup up all your stuff one last time, take your computer to a good shop (not geek squad/ firedog / etc), hand over it and whatever down payment they require and let them do their magic.

Now - if you want to give up some information - feel free. With details - things might work out.

- Windows XP Media Center Edition... (2002/2005? - if SP3 is not involved - likely does not matter.)
- The error is "0x8DDD0018"? Windows AU will not start?

First - ensure you do not have "Vundo". Clean it up if you do.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/foru...18610&hl=Vundo

After that - try doing the following three things:

Get the tool from here:
http://www.codeplex.com/aureset
Run it, reboot.

Do method 1 and 2 from here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
Reboot

Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and let it install whatever it wants until you get to a screen asking if you want "Express" or "Custom" and choose "Custom". Let it scan, let it fiond what you need - install everything "critical" - you can ignore the optional updates for now (and you can even ignore SP3 for now.)

Come back and let us know if you went the money or effort route and how the trip went. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
TaurArian

RE: ENOUGH ALREADY, WHAT'S THE FIX FOR THE "AU" PROBLEM!!!!!!
MowGreen is the MVP who made the connection and posted about the same in this
newsgroup.

We don't offend easily, we just wish we didn't have to use the "crystalball"
all the time.

Quote.......... There has been a noticeable increase in the
0x8DDD0018 error code posts with some posts including Error 1058.
It very well may be that these systems have been infected by a malware
known as Vundo.
http://www.microsoft.com/security/po...=Win32%2fVundo

After cleaning Vundo one then has to reset the
AU service and reinstall the Windows Update Agent [client].

Suggest you scan the system for the presence of Vundo. If the Windows
Malicious Software Tool is not installed nor scanned the system
recently, then suggest you first utilize it and see if it detects and
removes Vundo. Definitions for Vundo have been included in it since
March '08.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
<unquote>
--

--------------------------------
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008

"thegunnsterr" wrote:

> WOW.........u guys get easily offended!!!!!! Yeah I may be ranting, but I am
> getting some answers.
> Thanx TaurArian for your Vundo suggestion. It looks as though that is the
> problem, but you've been the only one I found connecting that problem. Avast
> seems to be the ONLY one that works for that. And yes I did have that, but
> didn't know it.
> PA Bear, no is the answer to all ur questions. I've never tried yet to
> install SP3, so that wasn't an issue for me. I'm one that likes to update
> things myself, so when just as always, I tried to go to the update website
> and couldn't............well, like others here on the forum, I'm now on my
> 5th day trying to get this fixed.
>
> So let me then say, that if you are having issues with Automatic Updates it
> is probably due to a trojan of some sort. I had McAfee on my computer and
> they failed me. I've not used Avast before, but it worked very well for me,
> maybe it will for you as well.
>
> "TaurArian" wrote:
>
> > Stop your ranting and raving and scan the system for the presence of Vundo.
> > You may have a virus.
> >
> > --
> >
> > --------------------------------
> > TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008
> > Update Services
> > http://taurarian.mvps.org
> >

> > "thegunnsterr" wrote:
> >
> > > I have done EVERYTHING offered in this forum to fix this issue. NOTHING
> > > works. I really don't have the time to spend to re-install the OS to fix
> > > this. Enough already. I've seen so many other threads with exactly the same
> > > issue, with no fix.

Re: ENOUGH ALREADY, WHAT'S THE FIX FOR THE "AU" PROBLEM!!!!!!
Chances are that Vundo brought along its friends ZLOB and SDBot, all
protected by a rootkit. And I can *assure* you that neither Avast or any
other anti-virus or anti-spyware application will be able to fix everything
on its own.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
(http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use.
It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware with
assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html,
http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums for review

thegunnsterr wrote:
> WOW.........u guys get easily offended!!!!!! Yeah I may be ranting, but I
> am
> getting some answers.
> Thanx TaurArian for your Vundo suggestion. It looks as though that is the
> problem, but you've been the only one I found connecting that problem.
> Avast
> seems to be the ONLY one that works for that. And yes I did have that, but
> didn't know it.
> PA Bear, no is the answer to all ur questions. I've never tried yet to
> install SP3, so that wasn't an issue for me. I'm one that likes to update
> things myself, so when just as always, I tried to go to the update website
> and couldn't............well, like others here on the forum, I'm now on my
> 5th day trying to get this fixed.
>
> So let me then say, that if you are having issues with Automatic Updates
> it
> is probably due to a trojan of some sort. I had McAfee on my computer and
> they failed me. I've not used Avast before, but it worked very well for
> me,
> maybe it will for you as well.
>
> "TaurArian" wrote:
>
>> Stop your ranting and raving and scan the system for the presence of
>> Vundo.
>> You may have a virus.
>>
>> --
>>
>> --------------------------------
>> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008
>> Update Services
>> http://taurarian.mvps.org
>>

>> "thegunnsterr" wrote:
>>
>>> I have done EVERYTHING offered in this forum to fix this issue. NOTHING
>>> works. I really don't have the time to spend to re-install the OS to fix
>>> this. Enough already. I've seen so many other threads with exactly the
>>> same issue, with no fix.

G. M. Nottingham

RE: ENOUGH ALREADY, WHAT'S THE FIX FOR THE "AU" PROBLEM!!!!!!
It's obvious to me that Windows Vista is only for college degrees in computer
science. What a waste of money and time! What's the answer? Apple?
--
Friar Tuck