windows update

Gary

windows update
Something is blocking me from loading/starting 'Automatic Updates' in the
'services'. It continually reverts back to 'Disabled'. And if I select
'manual' or 'automatic' and then select 'start', I bet 'Error 1058'. If I
close the window that selects the start up mode without selecting the
'start', but try to start from 'Services Local' window, I get a 'Runtime
Error' message with an option to 'Debug'. Trying to run Visual, gets an
'Unspecified error' dialog. Have followed the steps suggested when the
window opens advising that certain Windows services is not running.
Windows XP SP2, with all updates up to at least 3 weeks ago.

Re: windows update
You cannot manually start the Automatic Updates service and you receive an
"Error 1058" error message...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896224
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Gary wrote:
> Something is blocking me from loading/starting 'Automatic Updates' in the
> 'services'. It continually reverts back to 'Disabled'. And if I select
> 'manual' or 'automatic' and then select 'start', I bet 'Error 1058'. If I
> close the window that selects the start up mode without selecting the
> 'start', but try to start from 'Services Local' window, I get a 'Runtime
> Error' message with an option to 'Debug'. Trying to run Visual, gets an
> 'Unspecified error' dialog. Have followed the steps suggested when the
> window opens advising that certain Windows services is not running.
> Windows XP SP2, with all updates up to at least 3 weeks ago.

Gary

Re: windows update
I had already gone to that site for help. The 'Local System account' radio
button is selected, with 'AcerSystem' marked as Enabled. If I select the
option button 'this account' and continue on into another page 'Advanced' I
see some other options, like 'computername\Administrator' etc. Should there
be something like that selected? I don't have a logon when xp starts.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> You cannot manually start the Automatic Updates service and you receive an
> "Error 1058" error message...
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896224
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Gary wrote:
> > Something is blocking me from loading/starting 'Automatic Updates' in the
> > 'services'. It continually reverts back to 'Disabled'. And if I select
> > 'manual' or 'automatic' and then select 'start', I bet 'Error 1058'. If I
> > close the window that selects the start up mode without selecting the
> > 'start', but try to start from 'Services Local' window, I get a 'Runtime
> > Error' message with an option to 'Debug'. Trying to run Visual, gets an
> > 'Unspecified error' dialog. Have followed the steps suggested when the
> > window opens advising that certain Windows services is not running.
> > Windows XP SP2, with all updates up to at least 3 weeks ago.

Re: windows update
When did this problem first start? How long have you had the problem? Has
Automatic Updates ever worked?

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? Is the
subscription current and can you manually check for and install defintion
updates? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What
third-party firewall (if any)?
--
~PA Bear

Gary wrote:
> I had already gone to that site for help. The 'Local System account'
> radio
> button is selected, with 'AcerSystem' marked as Enabled. If I select the
> option button 'this account' and continue on into another page 'Advanced'
> see some other options, like 'computername\Administrator' etc. Should
> there
> be something like that selected? I don't have a logon when xp starts.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> You cannot manually start the Automatic Updates service and you receive
>> an
>> "Error 1058" error message...
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896224
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Gary wrote:
>>> Something is blocking me from loading/starting 'Automatic Updates' in
>>> the
>>> 'services'. It continually reverts back to 'Disabled'. And if I select
>>> 'manual' or 'automatic' and then select 'start', I bet 'Error 1058'. If
>>> close the window that selects the start up mode without selecting the
>>> 'start', but try to start from 'Services Local' window, I get a 'Runtime
>>> Error' message with an option to 'Debug'. Trying to run Visual, gets an
>>> 'Unspecified error' dialog. Have followed the steps suggested when the
>>> window opens advising that certain Windows services is not running.
>>> Windows XP SP2, with all updates up to at least 3 weeks ago.

TaurArian

Re: windows update
Quote.......... There has been a noticeable increase in the
0x8DDD0018 error code posts with some posts including Error 1058.
It very well may be that these systems have been infected by a malware
known as Vundo.
http://www.microsoft.com/security/po...=Win32%2fVundo

After cleaning Vundo one then has to reset the
AU service and reinstall the Windows Update Agent [client].

Suggest you scan the system for the presence of Vundo. If the Windows
Malicious Software Tool is not installed nor scanned the system
recently, then suggest you first utilize it and see if it detects and
removes Vundo. Definitions for Vundo have been included in it since
March '08.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
<unquote>

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"Gary" <Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Something is blocking me from loading/starting 'Automatic Updates' in the
| 'services'. It continually reverts back to 'Disabled'. And if I select
| 'manual' or 'automatic' and then select 'start', I bet 'Error 1058'. If I
| close the window that selects the start up mode without selecting the
| 'start', but try to start from 'Services Local' window, I get a 'Runtime
| Error' message with an option to 'Debug'. Trying to run Visual, gets an
| 'Unspecified error' dialog. Have followed the steps suggested when the
| window opens advising that certain Windows services is not running.
| Windows XP SP2, with all updates up to at least 3 weeks ago.

Gary

Re: windows update

I think you may be on the right track. will look for that malware. I did
have an attack of a malware, but thought I had it cleared. Run AVG, and have
also installed 'Superantispyware' and 'SpywareHunter' subsequently. Neither
of them pick up Vundo in a scan. But will do some research on it. Thanks
"TaurArian" wrote:

> Quote.......... There has been a noticeable increase in the
> 0x8DDD0018 error code posts with some posts including Error 1058.
> It very well may be that these systems have been infected by a malware
> known as Vundo.
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/po...=Win32%2fVundo
>
> After cleaning Vundo one then has to reset the
> AU service and reinstall the Windows Update Agent [client].
>
> Suggest you scan the system for the presence of Vundo. If the Windows
> Malicious Software Tool is not installed nor scanned the system
> recently, then suggest you first utilize it and see if it detects and
> removes Vundo. Definitions for Vundo have been included in it since
> March '08.

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> <unquote>
>

> --
>
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
>

> "Gary" <Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | Something is blocking me from loading/starting 'Automatic Updates' in the
> | 'services'. It continually reverts back to 'Disabled'. And if I select
> | 'manual' or 'automatic' and then select 'start', I bet 'Error 1058'. If I
> | close the window that selects the start up mode without selecting the
> | 'start', but try to start from 'Services Local' window, I get a 'Runtime
> | Error' message with an option to 'Debug'. Trying to run Visual, gets an
> | 'Unspecified error' dialog. Have followed the steps suggested when the
> | window opens advising that certain Windows services is not running.
> | Windows XP SP2, with all updates up to at least 3 weeks ago.

Re: windows update
Chances are that Vundo brought along its friends ZLOB and SDBot, all
protected by a rootkit. And I can *assure* you that no anti-virus or
anti-spyware application will be able to fix this!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
(http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use.
It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware with
assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html,
http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums for review

Gary wrote:
> I think you may be on the right track. will look for that malware. I did
> have an attack of a malware, but thought I had it cleared. Run AVG, and
> have also installed 'Superantispyware' and 'SpywareHunter' subsequently.
> Neither of them pick up Vundo in a scan. But will do some research on it.
> Thanks "TaurArian" wrote:
>
>> Quote.......... There has been a noticeable increase in the
>> 0x8DDD0018 error code posts with some posts including Error 1058.
>> It very well may be that these systems have been infected by a malware
>> known as Vundo.
>> http://www.microsoft.com/security/po...=Win32%2fVundo
>>
>> After cleaning Vundo one then has to reset the
>> AU service and reinstall the Windows Update Agent [client].
>>
>> Suggest you scan the system for the presence of Vundo. If the Windows
>> Malicious Software Tool is not installed nor scanned the system
>> recently, then suggest you first utilize it and see if it detects and
>> removes Vundo. Definitions for Vundo have been included in it since
>> March '08.

>> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>> ===============
>> <unquote>
>>

>> --
>>
>> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
>> http://taurarian.mvps.org
>> ======================================
>> How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>> Computer Maintenance: Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco
>>

>> "Gary" <Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Something is blocking me from loading/starting 'Automatic Updates' in
>>> the
>>> 'services'. It continually reverts back to 'Disabled'. And if I select
>>> 'manual' or 'automatic' and then select 'start', I bet 'Error 1058'. If
>>> close the window that selects the start up mode without selecting the
>>> 'start', but try to start from 'Services Local' window, I get a 'Runtime
>>> Error' message with an option to 'Debug'. Trying to run Visual, gets an
>>> 'Unspecified error' dialog. Have followed the steps suggested when the
>>> window opens advising that certain Windows services is not running.
>>> Windows XP SP2, with all updates up to at least 3 weeks ago.

Gary

Re: windows update
Yes it is Vundo. So far haven't gotten rid of it. Have spent some time
researching and trying some programs but no luck yet. Will try the
'Hijackthis' route. I currently in Amsterdam enroute to Khartoum for a 2
month stint, so expect I will have to do the removal myself.

Does 'Hijackthis' actually remove, or does it only provide a printout
allowing those with knowledge identify the problem location?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Chances are that Vundo brought along its friends ZLOB and SDBot, all
> protected by a rootkit. And I can *assure* you that no anti-virus or
> anti-spyware application will be able to fix this!

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315
>
> Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis log
> to an appropriate forum.
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
> http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_R...:_Introduction
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/

> (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use.
> It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware with
> assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
> http://castlecops.com/forum67.html,
> http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7,
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums for review
> by an expert in such matters, not here.**

> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Gary wrote:
> > I think you may be on the right track. will look for that malware. I did
> > have an attack of a malware, but thought I had it cleared. Run AVG, and
> > have also installed 'Superantispyware' and 'SpywareHunter' subsequently.
> > Neither of them pick up Vundo in a scan. But will do some research on it.
> > Thanks "TaurArian" wrote:
> >
> >> Quote.......... There has been a noticeable increase in the
> >> 0x8DDD0018 error code posts with some posts including Error 1058.
> >> It very well may be that these systems have been infected by a malware
> >> known as Vundo.
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/security/po...=Win32%2fVundo
> >>
> >> After cleaning Vundo one then has to reset the
> >> AU service and reinstall the Windows Update Agent [client].
> >>
> >> Suggest you scan the system for the presence of Vundo. If the Windows
> >> Malicious Software Tool is not installed nor scanned the system
> >> recently, then suggest you first utilize it and see if it detects and
> >> removes Vundo. Definitions for Vundo have been included in it since
> >> March '08.
> >>
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
> >>

> >> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> >> ===============
> >> <unquote>
> >>

> >> --
> >>
> >> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
> >> http://taurarian.mvps.org
> >> ======================================
> >> How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
> >> Computer Maintenance: Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco

Thank You

Re: windows update

"Gary" wrote:

> Yes it is Vundo. So far haven't gotten rid of it. Have spent some time
> researching and trying some programs but no luck yet. Will try the
> 'Hijackthis' route. I currently in Amsterdam enroute to Khartoum for a 2
> month stint, so expect I will have to do the removal myself.
>
> Does 'Hijackthis' actually remove, or does it only provide a printout
> allowing those with knowledge identify the problem location?
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Chances are that Vundo brought along its friends ZLOB and SDBot, all
> > protected by a rootkit. And I can *assure* you that no anti-virus or
> > anti-spyware application will be able to fix this!
> >
> > Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315
> >
> > Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis log
> > to an appropriate forum.
> >
> > Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> > http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> > http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
> > http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
> > http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_R...:_Introduction
> > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> > http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/prevention.htm
> > http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/tshoot.html
> > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
> > http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/
> > http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware
> >
> > When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
> > (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use.
> > It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware with
> > assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
> > http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22,
> > http://castlecops.com/forum67.html,
> > http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7,
> > http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums for review
> > by an expert in such matters, not here.**
> >
> > If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting this
> > isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local, reputable and
> > independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA) computer repair shop.
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
> > AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> > DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
> >
> > Gary wrote:
> > > I think you may be on the right track. will look for that malware. I did
> > > have an attack of a malware, but thought I had it cleared. Run AVG, and
> > > have also installed 'Superantispyware' and 'SpywareHunter' subsequently.
> > > Neither of them pick up Vundo in a scan. But will do some research on it.

Re: windows update
No, HijackThis is merely one of the tools we use to help us identify and
remove such infections.