mysterious KB 942763

kakii

mysterious KB 942763

win xp pro sp3

Three, maybe two, weeks ago I have installed win SP3.
Final check with MBSA didn't result in any identified vulnerabilities.
That means, all known holes were patched.

Now, just after having .NET 3.5 installed I had to state that 942763
patch is missing. MBSA is claiming that. It is something about time zone
control.

Where this behaviour from ?
Shenan Stanley

Re: mysterious KB 942763
kakii wrote:
> win xp pro sp3
>
> Three, maybe two, weeks ago I have installed win SP3.
> Final check with MBSA didn't result in any identified
> vulnerabilities. That means, all known holes were patched.
>
> Now, just after having .NET 3.5 installed I had to state that 942763
> patch is missing. MBSA is claiming that. It is something about time
> zone control.
>
> Where this behaviour from ?

Needing a patch?

While it is true - said patch was included in SP3 - perhaps the installation
of the .NET Framework 3.5 changed something...

What happens if you download/install it?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942763

(You realize there has been one set of patches after SP3 already - and in
just over two weeks - there will likely be another set...?)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Re: mysterious KB 942763
Does KB942763 install?

e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.

• US:

• CA:

• UK:

• AU:

• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3

WinXP-specific newsgroup: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

kakii wrote:
> win xp pro sp3
>
> Three, maybe two, weeks ago I have installed win SP3.
> Final check with MBSA didn't result in any identified vulnerabilities.
> That means, all known holes were patched.
>
> Now, just after having .NET 3.5 installed I had to state that 942763
> patch is missing. MBSA is claiming that. It is something about time zone
> control.
>
> Where this behaviour from ?

kakii

Re: mysterious KB 942763

942763 was a patch released some when in 2007,
then updated in March 2008.
The win xp sp3 is newer than March 2008 and it includes this patch indeed.
Furthermore, all required patches are always applied as soon as released.
So I don't think I'm missing of the newest patches.

I didn't try to install it once again.
Why should I do the same work twice ?
I have had it already installed.
It is a problem of Microsoft and .NET cause they are not consistent.
They don't know what the another does.
No wonder if considering the overall quality of MS products.

kakii wrote:
> 942763 was a patch released some when in 2007,
> then updated in March 2008.
> The win xp sp3 is newer than March 2008 and it includes this patch
> indeed. Furthermore, all required patches are always applied as
> soon as released. So I don't think I'm missing of the newest
> patches.
> I didn't try to install it once again.
> Why should I do the same work twice ?
> I have had it already installed.
> It is a problem of Microsoft and .NET cause they are not consistent.
> They don't know what the another does.
> No wonder if considering the overall quality of MS products.

..NET Framework 3.5 was released before SP3. If it changes something that
causes your system to think it needs the patch - you are better off
installing it. Of course - you are free not to install it to and fume over
the fact it is offered to you. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

kakii

Re: mysterious KB 942763

Great design/strategy Made by Microsoft :-)).
What then the facility Windows File Protection for ?
I mean the protected files listed by sfcfiles.dll.

Shenan Stanley wrote:
> kakii wrote:
>> 942763 was a patch released some when in 2007,
>> then updated in March 2008.
>> The win xp sp3 is newer than March 2008 and it includes this patch
>> indeed. Furthermore, all required patches are always applied as
>> soon as released. So I don't think I'm missing of the newest
>> patches.
>> I didn't try to install it once again.
>> Why should I do the same work twice ?
>> I have had it already installed.
>> It is a problem of Microsoft and .NET cause they are not consistent.
>> They don't know what the another does.
>> No wonder if considering the overall quality of MS products.

> .NET Framework 3.5 was released before SP3. If it changes something that
> causes your system to think it needs the patch - you are better off
> installing it. Of course - you are free not to install it to and fume over
> the fact it is offered to you. ;-)

Shenan Stanley

Re: mysterious KB 942763

kakii wrote:
> Great design/strategy Made by Microsoft :-)).
> What then the facility Windows File Protection for ?
> I mean the protected files listed by sfcfiles.dll.

Unlikely that has anything to do with your current issue.

I would imagine that some registry value has changed - either one that was
changed for the purpose of the patch you are being told you need OR one that
lets other things know that the patch is already installed/applied.

Does that suck? Well - that's a matter of opinion. Most people wouldn't
have .NET Framework 3.5 installed - so if they do have it right now, they
are probably a little *more* than your average computer user and can
supposedly handle the work-around of installing (or attempting to install)
an update manually to keep from being annoyed by a message they are fairly
certain they should not be getting.

The world (and everything in it) is not perfect. We either let the small
stuff bother us - or we don't. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP