Problem installing SP3

Redcliffe

Problem installing SP3
I have tried several times to download SP3, using microsoft updates and then
the download centre (as advised in KB950718). It downloads OK, but then
refuses to install. Soon after starting, the message appears "There is not
enough disk space on C to install SP3 The setup requires a minimum of 1
additional MB...... Free additional space and try again."
Note this says "C drive" My C is a recovery partition and Windows is in H
drive, where there is GBs of free space. The download took place to a
temporary folder in H, and the uninstall folder seems to be there too.
Suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: Problem installing SP3
Error message when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 3: "You do not
have enough free disk space on %SystemDrive% to install Service Pack 3":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949385

Steps to take before you install WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.

• US:

• CA:

• UK:

• AU:

• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Redcliffe wrote:
> I have tried several times to download SP3, using microsoft updates and
> then
> the download centre (as advised in KB950718). It downloads OK, but then
> refuses to install. Soon after starting, the message appears "There is not
> enough disk space on C to install SP3 The setup requires a minimum of 1
> additional MB...... Free additional space and try again."
> Note this says "C drive" My C is a recovery partition and Windows is in H
> drive, where there is GBs of free space. The download took place to a
> temporary folder in H, and the uninstall folder seems to be there too.
> Suggestions would be appreciated.

Redcliffe

Re: Problem installing SP3
Thanks for all your suggestions.
I didn't find anything really relevant in the articles, so have used the
link (uk) you suggested to see if Microsoft can suggest something.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Error message when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 3: "You do not
> have enough free disk space on %SystemDrive% to install Service Pack 3":
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949385

> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
>
> Steps to take before you install WinXP SP3
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.
>
> • US:
>
> • CA:
>
> • UK:
>
> • AU:
>
> • Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
> Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Redcliffe wrote:
> > I have tried several times to download SP3, using microsoft updates and
> > then
> > the download centre (as advised in KB950718). It downloads OK, but then
> > refuses to install. Soon after starting, the message appears "There is not
> > enough disk space on C to install SP3 The setup requires a minimum of 1
> > additional MB...... Free additional space and try again."
> > Note this says "C drive" My C is a recovery partition and Windows is in H
> > drive, where there is GBs of free space. The download took place to a
> > temporary folder in H, and the uninstall folder seems to be there too.
> > Suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: Problem installing SP3
Did you run Disk Cleanup??

Redcliffe wrote:
> Thanks for all your suggestions.
> I didn't find anything really relevant in the articles, so have used the
> link (uk) you suggested to see if Microsoft can suggest something.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Error message when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 3: "You do
>> not have enough free disk space on %SystemDrive% to install Service Pack
>> 3": http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949385

>> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...tallation.aspx
>>
>> Steps to take before you install WinXP SP3
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

>> Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
>> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
>> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.
>>
>> • US:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
>>
>> • CA:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
>>
>> • UK:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
>>
>> • AU:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
>>
>> • Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 |
>> select
>> Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Redcliffe wrote:
>>> I have tried several times to download SP3, using microsoft updates and
>>> then
>>> the download centre (as advised in KB950718). It downloads OK, but then
>>> refuses to install. Soon after starting, the message appears "There is
>>> not
>>> enough disk space on C to install SP3 The setup requires a minimum of 1
>>> additional MB...... Free additional space and try again."
>>> Note this says "C drive" My C is a recovery partition and Windows is in
>>> drive, where there is GBs of free space. The download took place to a
>>> temporary folder in H, and the uninstall folder seems to be there too.
>>> Suggestions would be appreciated.

Redcliffe

Re: Problem installing SP3
Yes, and Defrag.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Did you run Disk Cleanup??
>
> Redcliffe wrote:
> > Thanks for all your suggestions.
> > I didn't find anything really relevant in the articles, so have used the
> > link (uk) you suggested to see if Microsoft can suggest something.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Error message when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 3: "You do
> >> not have enough free disk space on %SystemDrive% to install Service Pack
> >> 3": http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949385
> >>
> >> ========================================
> >>
> >> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
> >> http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...tallation.aspx
> >>
> >> Steps to take before you install WinXP SP3
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717
> >>
> >> ========================================
> >>

> >> Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
> >> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
> >> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.
> >>
> >> • US:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
> >>
> >> • CA:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
> >>
> >> • UK:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
> >>
> >> • AU:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
> >>
> >> • Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 |
> >> select
> >> Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: Problem installing SP3
Open a free support incident, Redcliffe. See my earlier reply.

Redcliffe wrote:
> Yes, and Defrag.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Did you run Disk Cleanup??
>>
>> Redcliffe wrote:
>>> Thanks for all your suggestions.
>>> I didn't find anything really relevant in the articles, so have used the
>>> link (uk) you suggested to see if Microsoft can suggest something.

Redcliffe

Re: Problem installing SP3
Have done. Support person asigned. Long e-mail with things to do. Sent
feed back, and am waiting for further instructions.
Many thanks

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Open a free support incident, Redcliffe. See my earlier reply.
>
> Redcliffe wrote:
> > Yes, and Defrag.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Did you run Disk Cleanup??

Re: Problem installing SP3
YW. Please keep us posted as to any progress or resolutions.

Redcliffe wrote:
> Have done. Support person asigned. Long e-mail with things to do. Sent
> feed back, and am waiting for further instructions.
> Many thanks
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Open a free support incident, Redcliffe. See my earlier reply.
>>
>> Redcliffe wrote:
>>> Yes, and Defrag.

Lou Jade

Re: Problem installing SP3
On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 16:25:11 -0400, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
<PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:

>Error message when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 3: "You do not
>have enough free disk space on %SystemDrive% to install Service Pack 3":
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949385

>WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
>http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...tallation.aspx
>
>Steps to take before you install WinXP SP3
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

>Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
>Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
>e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.
>
> US:
>http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
>
> CA:
>http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
>
> UK:
>http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
>
> AU:
>http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
>
> Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
>Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3

Pa Bear: Do you think it is reasonable to think that the TYPICAL home
user of XP can comprehend and EXECUTE all of the information and
instructions contained in the many links you provided? Why can't the
folks at MS develop an update that works without a PHD in computer
science required? Alternately why can't they develop software that
works from the get-go without the need for a gazillion updates?

Respectfully - this is a serious question and reading this newsgroup
makes one think that the odds of getting sp3 installed are very, very
low.

Lou Jade
realcestmoi

Re: Problem installing SP3
Hi there,

If a home user is not able to read an excecute the instructions given than
the user should get help from a payed or non payed person who is capable of
reading and excecuting those.

Best regards,
Michel Denie