Re: Service pack 3 problem

[x-post to WU]

> i am running Norton 360 and it was operational when the update was done.

Bingo, we have a wiener!

SymProtect & SP3
http://windowssecrets.com/2008/05/29...Windows-XP-SP3
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=33522

Steps to take before you install WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Edmond wrote:
> Had made a mistake and now done it correctly, but still no luck. Fails to
> register as no Dll point was found.
>
> Opening the regsvr32 file is as you say, no dll specified, followed by the
> useage information.
>
> i am running Norton 360 and it was operational when the update was done. I
> have also scanned the system using the Norton and Spybot with no malware
> being found.
>
> what do i do now?
>
> Thanks
>
> Nigel

>> If you've done this correctly -
>>
>> Show hidden files, folders, and system files
>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...l62.html#winxp
>>
>> and no dllcache folder exists, read on ...

>> The Operating System is either damaged, there is malware present that
>> was resident when SP3 was applied, or, the command syntax is incorrect.
>>
>> After show hidden files, folders, and system files, use WINDOWS Explorer
>> to navigate to the WINDOWS directory [folder]
>> Open the system32 subfolder
>> Locate regsvr32.exe
>> *Right* click it and choose Open
>> A window should appear stating " No DLL name specified "
>> Under that is Usage:
>> There will be a list of commands.
>> Is that what you saw ?
>>
>> Which antivirus|security suite is installed ?
>> Was it actively monitoring the system when SP3 was applied ?
>>

>> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>> ===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>> Never Forgotten
>> ===============
>>

>> Edmond wrote:
>>
>>> Still have the same problem although the version number of the file is
>>> correct. I have deleted the file from System32 and copied the one in the
>>> service pack area but have 2 issues namely:
>>>
>>> 1) do not have a folder Windows\system32\dllcache
>>> 2) computer could not find the file regsvr32 when i ran it.
>>>
>>> Any further advice please?
>>>
>>> thanks
>>>
>>> Nigel Edmondson

Edmond

Re: Service pack 3 problem
Hi Robear

Thanks for the information which is great...but...now I have done it what do
I do to put it right?

The only issue i have is the Wlanapi.dll file, nothing else.

Any advice appreciated

regards

Nigel

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [x-post to WU]
>
> > i am running Norton 360 and it was operational when the update was done.

> Bingo, we have a wiener!
>
> SymProtect & SP3
> http://windowssecrets.com/2008/05/29...Windows-XP-SP3
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=33522
>

> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
>
> Steps to take before you install WinXP SP3
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> Edmond wrote:
> > Had made a mistake and now done it correctly, but still no luck. Fails to
> > register as no Dll point was found.
> >
> > Opening the regsvr32 file is as you say, no dll specified, followed by the
> > useage information.
> >
> > i am running Norton 360 and it was operational when the update was done. I
> > have also scanned the system using the Norton and Spybot with no malware
> > being found.
> >
> > what do i do now?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Nigel

> >> If you've done this correctly -
> >>
> >> Show hidden files, folders, and system files
> >> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...l62.html#winxp
> >>
> >> and no dllcache folder exists, read on ...

> >> The Operating System is either damaged, there is malware present that
> >> was resident when SP3 was applied, or, the command syntax is incorrect.
> >>
> >> After show hidden files, folders, and system files, use WINDOWS Explorer
> >> to navigate to the WINDOWS directory [folder]
> >> Open the system32 subfolder
> >> Locate regsvr32.exe
> >> *Right* click it and choose Open
> >> A window should appear stating " No DLL name specified "
> >> Under that is Usage:
> >> There will be a list of commands.
> >> Is that what you saw ?
> >>
> >> Which antivirus|security suite is installed ?
> >> Was it actively monitoring the system when SP3 was applied ?
> >>

> >> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> >> ===============
> >> *-343-* FDNY
> >> Never Forgotten
> >> ===============

Richard in AZ

Re: Service pack 3 problem
The Norton 360 running did not help, but that is not your problem.
You wireless network interface card needs a new driver for SP3.
However, if you use Linksys, they do not have a new driver.
But you can get around the problem by deleting the network monitoring program from start-up.
On the original error pop-up (the one that told you "The procedure entry point apsinitialise could
not be located in the
dynamic link library wlanapi.dll" ) There was a monitoring program. Use either "msconfig" or the
TOOLS-SOFTWARE EXPLORER feature in Windows Defender to stop this program from loading at startup.

"Edmond" <Edmond@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Hi Robear
|
| Thanks for the information which is great...but...now I have done it what do
| I do to put it right?
|
| The only issue i have is the Wlanapi.dll file, nothing else.
|
| Any advice appreciated
|
| regards
|
| Nigel
|
| "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
|
| > [x-post to WU]
| >
| > > i am running Norton 360 and it was operational when the update was done.
| >
| > Bingo, we have a wiener!
| >
| > SymProtect & SP3
| > http://windowssecrets.com/2008/05/29...Windows-XP-SP3
| > http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=33522
| >

| > WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation

| > Steps to take before you install WinXP SP3
| > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717
| > --
| > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
| > MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
| > AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
| > DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
| >

| > Edmond wrote:
| > > Had made a mistake and now done it correctly, but still no luck. Fails to
| > > register as no Dll point was found.
| > >
| > > Opening the regsvr32 file is as you say, no dll specified, followed by the
| > > useage information.
| > >
| > > i am running Norton 360 and it was operational when the update was done. I
| > > have also scanned the system using the Norton and Spybot with no malware
| > > being found.
| > >
| > > what do i do now?
| > >
| > > Thanks
| > >
| > > Nigel

Re: Service pack 3 problem
See http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=62&...189931#p189931,
http://norton.lithium.com/norton/boa...d=1624#M162 4,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953791 or...

e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.

• US:

• CA:

• UK:

• AU:

• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3