Vista SP1 Upgrade fails after 12%

swhomebiz

Vista SP1 Upgrade fails after 12%
Assistance needed. SP1 upgrade shows as successful when run in Windows
update, but when system reboots, upgrade only goes to 12% then fails, undoes
the installation, tries again, fails at 12% again and then undoes the
installation a second time. When I reboot at that point, windows update
shows the SP1 upgrade needs to be downloaded again.
swhomebiz

RE: Vista SP1 Upgrade fails after 12%
FYI -- Windows Update shows it failed with a 80070005. What does that code
mean?

"swhomebiz" wrote:

> Assistance needed. SP1 upgrade shows as successful when run in Windows
> update, but when system reboots, upgrade only goes to 12% then fails, undoes
> the installation, tries again, fails at 12% again and then undoes the
> installation a second time. When I reboot at that point, windows update
> shows the SP1 upgrade needs to be downloaded again.

Re: Vista SP1 Upgrade fails after 12%
Did Windows Update offer you SP1 or are you attempting to install it
manually?

Have you ever used a "Registry cleaner"?

=============================

Windows Vista Help: Learn how to install Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1):
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...6f2021033.mspx

Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is available
at no charge through 18 Mar-09
• US:

• CA:

• UK:

• AU:

• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx | select Windows
Vista | select Windows Vista Service Pack 1
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

swhomebiz wrote:
> FYI -- Windows Update shows it failed with a 80070005. What does that
> code
> mean?
>
>> Assistance needed. SP1 upgrade shows as successful when run in Windows
>> update, but when system reboots, upgrade only goes to 12% then fails,
>> undoes the installation, tries again, fails at 12% again and then undoes
>> the installation a second time. When I reboot at that point, windows
>> update shows the SP1 upgrade needs to be downloaded again.

swhomebiz

Re: Vista SP1 Upgrade fails after 12%
PA Bear: Believe it or not, I was able to try it again later in the
afternoon and it worked....not really sure what fixed it, but I did answer
your questions below.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Did Windows Update offer you SP1 or are you attempting to install it
> manually?

*** Yes -- offered by Microsoft Update ***

> Have you ever used a "Registry cleaner"?

*** Yes -- Registry Mechanic ***

> =============================
>
> Windows Vista Help: Learn how to install Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1):
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...6f2021033.mspx
>
> Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is available
> at no charge through 18 Mar-09
> • US:
>
> • CA:
>
> • UK:
>
> • AU:
>
> • Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx | select Windows
> Vista | select Windows Vista Service Pack 1
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> swhomebiz wrote:
> > FYI -- Windows Update shows it failed with a 80070005. What does that
> > code
> > mean?
> >
> >> Assistance needed. SP1 upgrade shows as successful when run in Windows
> >> update, but when system reboots, upgrade only goes to 12% then fails,
> >> undoes the installation, tries again, fails at 12% again and then undoes
> >> the installation a second time. When I reboot at that point, windows
> >> update shows the SP1 upgrade needs to be downloaded again.

Re: Vista SP1 Upgrade fails after 12%
>> Have you ever used a "Registry cleaner"?
>
> *** Yes -- Registry Mechanic ***

While I'm glad to hear that your problem automagically resolved itself (may
have been problems on MS's end), if you ever think your Registry needs
"cleaning" or "repairing," please read
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own conclusions.
--
~PA Bear