Software Distribution Service 3.0

adieboyes

Software Distribution Service 3.0
Latey, when shutting down my pc, Windows has been installing updates before
shutting down automatically. This hasn't been a problem, until I recently
tried to do a System Restore.

Windows went thru the retore process, and rebooted, but when the pc
re-started, I got the error message form System Retore - 'Restore could not
be complete, choose and earlier restore point'

I went back into System Restore, and thats when I noticed that an update
called 'Software Distribution Service 3.0' had installed every time the pc
had been shut down since 24/03/08. (I say it 'installed', I can't actually
find it anywhere - it doesn't appear in the Add/Remove Program list in the
Contral Panel, and there's no sign of it in the Windows Directory - Does this
mean that it has actually installed??)

So, I picked a restore checkpoint prior to SDS 3.0 first entering my system,
but got the same response on re-start, that - 'Restore could not be complete,
choose and earlier restore point'. I've tried on various checkpoint dates,
but always get the same response.

Having read thru this, and variuos other forums, it seems that SDS 3.0
causes a few problems, so I'm not sure that I want it installed on my pc at
all. How do I -
1. Tell if it is installed if it doesn't appear on any lists/directories?
2. Remove it if it is installed?
3. Stop it trying to install on every shut-down?
4. Regain the use of System Restore?

Engel

RE: Software Distribution Service 3.0
Hello adieboyes,

Restart in safe mode (F8) and try the Restore point.

Write back if this can't be restored in safe-mode.

Good luck
- -- ---

"adieboyes" wrote:

> Latey, when shutting down my pc, Windows has been installing updates before
> shutting down automatically. This hasn't been a problem, until I recently
> tried to do a System Restore.
>
> Windows went thru the retore process, and rebooted, but when the pc
> re-started, I got the error message form System Retore - 'Restore could not
> be complete, choose and earlier restore point'
>
> I went back into System Restore, and thats when I noticed that an update
> called 'Software Distribution Service 3.0' had installed every time the pc
> had been shut down since 24/03/08. (I say it 'installed', I can't actually
> find it anywhere - it doesn't appear in the Add/Remove Program list in the
> Contral Panel, and there's no sign of it in the Windows Directory - Does this
> mean that it has actually installed??)
>
> So, I picked a restore checkpoint prior to SDS 3.0 first entering my system,
> but got the same response on re-start, that - 'Restore could not be complete,
> choose and earlier restore point'. I've tried on various checkpoint dates,
> but always get the same response.
>
> Having read thru this, and variuos other forums, it seems that SDS 3.0
> causes a few problems, so I'm not sure that I want it installed on my pc at
> all. How do I -
> 1. Tell if it is installed if it doesn't appear on any lists/directories?
> 2. Remove it if it is installed?
> 3. Stop it trying to install on every shut-down?
> 4. Regain the use of System Restore?

adieboyes

RE: Software Distribution Service 3.0
Still not able to perfom the System Restore in safe mode, it goes thru thr
process again, reboots, and then I get the same error message - 'Restoration
Incomplete'

"Engel" wrote:

> Hello adieboyes,
>
> Restart in safe mode (F8) and try the Restore point.
>
> Write back if this can't be restored in safe-mode.
>
> Good luck
> - -- ---
>

> "adieboyes" wrote:
>
> > Latey, when shutting down my pc, Windows has been installing updates before
> > shutting down automatically. This hasn't been a problem, until I recently
> > tried to do a System Restore.
> >
> > Windows went thru the retore process, and rebooted, but when the pc
> > re-started, I got the error message form System Retore - 'Restore could not
> > be complete, choose and earlier restore point'
> >
> > I went back into System Restore, and thats when I noticed that an update
> > called 'Software Distribution Service 3.0' had installed every time the pc
> > had been shut down since 24/03/08. (I say it 'installed', I can't actually
> > find it anywhere - it doesn't appear in the Add/Remove Program list in the
> > Contral Panel, and there's no sign of it in the Windows Directory - Does this
> > mean that it has actually installed??)
> >
> > So, I picked a restore checkpoint prior to SDS 3.0 first entering my system,
> > but got the same response on re-start, that - 'Restore could not be complete,
> > choose and earlier restore point'. I've tried on various checkpoint dates,
> > but always get the same response.
> >
> > Having read thru this, and variuos other forums, it seems that SDS 3.0
> > causes a few problems, so I'm not sure that I want it installed on my pc at
> > all. How do I -
> > 1. Tell if it is installed if it doesn't appear on any lists/directories?
> > 2. Remove it if it is installed?
> > 3. Stop it trying to install on every shut-down?
> > 4. Regain the use of System Restore?

Engel

RE: Software Distribution Service 3.0
Hi adieboyes,

It is unfortunate that you can't use System Restore.

Just to be on the safest side, You should run full virus and anti-spyware
scans.

No guarantees you will find any malware, but malware has been known to cause
bizarre system behavior.
- -- ---

"adieboyes" wrote:

> Still not able to perfom the System Restore in safe mode, it goes thru thr
> process again, reboots, and then I get the same error message - 'Restoration
> Incomplete'
>
> "Engel" wrote:
>
> > Hello adieboyes,
> >
> > Restart in safe mode (F8) and try the Restore point.
> >
> > Write back if this can't be restored in safe-mode.
> >
> > Good luck
> > - -- ---
> >

> > "adieboyes" wrote:
> >
> > > Latey, when shutting down my pc, Windows has been installing updates before
> > > shutting down automatically. This hasn't been a problem, until I recently
> > > tried to do a System Restore.
> > >
> > > Windows went thru the retore process, and rebooted, but when the pc
> > > re-started, I got the error message form System Retore - 'Restore could not
> > > be complete, choose and earlier restore point'
> > >
> > > I went back into System Restore, and thats when I noticed that an update
> > > called 'Software Distribution Service 3.0' had installed every time the pc
> > > had been shut down since 24/03/08. (I say it 'installed', I can't actually
> > > find it anywhere - it doesn't appear in the Add/Remove Program list in the
> > > Contral Panel, and there's no sign of it in the Windows Directory - Does this
> > > mean that it has actually installed??)
> > >
> > > So, I picked a restore checkpoint prior to SDS 3.0 first entering my system,
> > > but got the same response on re-start, that - 'Restore could not be complete,
> > > choose and earlier restore point'. I've tried on various checkpoint dates,
> > > but always get the same response.
> > >
> > > Having read thru this, and variuos other forums, it seems that SDS 3.0
> > > causes a few problems, so I'm not sure that I want it installed on my pc at
> > > all. How do I -
> > > 1. Tell if it is installed if it doesn't appear on any lists/directories?
> > > 2. Remove it if it is installed?
> > > 3. Stop it trying to install on every shut-down?
> > > 4. Regain the use of System Restore?

Engel

RE: Software Distribution Service 3.0
Hi adieboyes,

I did a search, and probably your solution is to contact Microsoft.

See how lwv628 was able to find the solution:

<http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&query=Software+Distribution+Service+ 3.0&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&p=1&tid=06989 9ce-234e-42e3-a14b-2e5c519960de&mid=069899ce-234e-42e3-a14b-2e5c519960de>

Please post any feed back from MS so that it will assist others, as they
need all the help they can get.

Thank you.
- -- ---

"adieboyes" wrote:

> Latey, when shutting down my pc, Windows has been installing updates before
> shutting down automatically. This hasn't been a problem, until I recently
> tried to do a System Restore.
>
> Windows went thru the retore process, and rebooted, but when the pc
> re-started, I got the error message form System Retore - 'Restore could not
> be complete, choose and earlier restore point'
>
> I went back into System Restore, and thats when I noticed that an update
> called 'Software Distribution Service 3.0' had installed every time the pc
> had been shut down since 24/03/08. (I say it 'installed', I can't actually
> find it anywhere - it doesn't appear in the Add/Remove Program list in the
> Contral Panel, and there's no sign of it in the Windows Directory - Does this
> mean that it has actually installed??)
>
> So, I picked a restore checkpoint prior to SDS 3.0 first entering my system,
> but got the same response on re-start, that - 'Restore could not be complete,
> choose and earlier restore point'. I've tried on various checkpoint dates,
> but always get the same response.
>
> Having read thru this, and variuos other forums, it seems that SDS 3.0
> causes a few problems, so I'm not sure that I want it installed on my pc at
> all. How do I -
> 1. Tell if it is installed if it doesn't appear on any lists/directories?
> 2. Remove it if it is installed?
> 3. Stop it trying to install on every shut-down?
> 4. Regain the use of System Restore?

adieboyes

RE: Software Distribution Service 3.0
I followed lwv628's advice, and sent a report off to Microsoft, both the
links in their reply direct me to forum, the first was not much help, the
second directed me here! I get the feeling I'm going around in circles!

"Engel" wrote:

> Hi adieboyes,
>

> I did a search, and probably your solution is to contact Microsoft.
>
> See how lwv628 was able to find the solution:
>
> <http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&query=Software+Distribution+Service+ 3.0&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&p=1&tid=06989 9ce-234e-42e3-a14b-2e5c519960de&mid=069899ce-234e-42e3-a14b-2e5c519960de>
>
> Please post any feed back from MS so that it will assist others, as they
> need all the help they can get.
>
> Thank you.
> - -- ---
>

> "adieboyes" wrote:
>
> > Latey, when shutting down my pc, Windows has been installing updates before
> > shutting down automatically. This hasn't been a problem, until I recently
> > tried to do a System Restore.
> >
> > Windows went thru the retore process, and rebooted, but when the pc
> > re-started, I got the error message form System Retore - 'Restore could not
> > be complete, choose and earlier restore point'
> >
> > I went back into System Restore, and thats when I noticed that an update
> > called 'Software Distribution Service 3.0' had installed every time the pc
> > had been shut down since 24/03/08. (I say it 'installed', I can't actually
> > find it anywhere - it doesn't appear in the Add/Remove Program list in the
> > Contral Panel, and there's no sign of it in the Windows Directory - Does this
> > mean that it has actually installed??)
> >
> > So, I picked a restore checkpoint prior to SDS 3.0 first entering my system,
> > but got the same response on re-start, that - 'Restore could not be complete,
> > choose and earlier restore point'. I've tried on various checkpoint dates,
> > but always get the same response.
> >
> > Having read thru this, and variuos other forums, it seems that SDS 3.0
> > causes a few problems, so I'm not sure that I want it installed on my pc at
> > all. How do I -
> > 1. Tell if it is installed if it doesn't appear on any lists/directories?
> > 2. Remove it if it is installed?
> > 3. Stop it trying to install on every shut-down?
> > 4. Regain the use of System Restore?

TaurArian

RE: Software Distribution Service 3.0
'Software Distribution Service 3.0' - created by Windows Update when updates
are installed automatically.

Excellent site for SR problems - http://bertk.mvps.org/

--

--------------------------------
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008

"adieboyes" wrote:

> Latey, when shutting down my pc, Windows has been installing updates before
> shutting down automatically. This hasn't been a problem, until I recently
> tried to do a System Restore.
>
> Windows went thru the retore process, and rebooted, but when the pc
> re-started, I got the error message form System Retore - 'Restore could not
> be complete, choose and earlier restore point'
>
> I went back into System Restore, and thats when I noticed that an update
> called 'Software Distribution Service 3.0' had installed every time the pc
> had been shut down since 24/03/08. (I say it 'installed', I can't actually
> find it anywhere - it doesn't appear in the Add/Remove Program list in the
> Contral Panel, and there's no sign of it in the Windows Directory - Does this
> mean that it has actually installed??)
>
> So, I picked a restore checkpoint prior to SDS 3.0 first entering my system,
> but got the same response on re-start, that - 'Restore could not be complete,
> choose and earlier restore point'. I've tried on various checkpoint dates,
> but always get the same response.
>
> Having read thru this, and variuos other forums, it seems that SDS 3.0
> causes a few problems, so I'm not sure that I want it installed on my pc at
> all. How do I -
> 1. Tell if it is installed if it doesn't appear on any lists/directories?
> 2. Remove it if it is installed?
> 3. Stop it trying to install on every shut-down?
> 4. Regain the use of System Restore?

adieboyes

RE: Software Distribution Service 3.0
Thanks TaurArian,

So what you are saying is, that just because there are updates being
installed every time I shut down, doesn't neccessarily mean it's 'SDS 3.0'
being installed?? (Sorry, I'm a bit of a dullard when it comes to this - you
have to spell it out!!)

As for the system restore, I've visited that link you suggested, I'd already
tried a restore in safe mode before posting my original question. . . I got
the same error message, that the 'Restoration couldn't be completed'

"TaurArian" wrote:

> 'Software Distribution Service 3.0' - created by Windows Update when updates
> are installed automatically.
>
> Excellent site for SR problems - http://bertk.mvps.org/
>

> --
>
> --------------------------------
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008
> Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org

Adonys Patermoon

Re: Software Distribution Service 3.0

Start Windows in safe mode, install 'service pack 3'
(http://www.4shared.com/file/47022653...full_.html?s=1)
...wow!!

--
Adonys Patermoon
Adonys Patermoon's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=51489

http://forums.techarena.in

mruemenapp

RE: Software Distribution Service 3.0

Hi adieboyes,

Your problem with System Restore is EXACTLY what I'm currently going
through. My Lenovo Thinkpad is less than a year old. I have never been able
to get System Restore to work. Every two or three months, I give it another
try. It goes through all the steps ending with "shut
down....restart....WELCOME....a longish wait.......Theme jingle.......another
longish wait.....and the I get the screen that reads RESTORATION INCOMPLETE.

Oftentimes I drop what I'm working on and delve into Microsoft Help and
Support, looking for anything that might help But I'm always end up here, at
microsoft.com, no more enlightened than when I started. By then I've wasted
an hour or so and give up. Until the next time.

Did you ever get a solution your problem?

Thanks for reading this long, whiny letter. And thanks for any info you can
give me.

Sincerely, mruemenapp@msn.com