Re: Windows Update Failure

[Crosspost to WU NG]

(if any)?

1. You receive a "Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display
the requested page" error message when you try to install an update:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883614

2. Start a free Windows Update support incident request:

Support for Windows Update:

to installing Security Updates.

3. Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
(http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use.
It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware with
assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html,
http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums for review

=> Windows Update-specific newsgroup: microsoft.public.windowsupdate
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Butterat2001 wrote:
> I have XP, sp2. I turned automatic updates off about two months ago
> because
> it was downloading every single update as soon as it became available and
> then restarting my computer once the download installed. Now, I'm trying
> get the system updates that have been released since then, and I keep
> getting errors that say I have to have automatic updates on in order to
> get
> any updates, and that my system can't start automatic updates for me.
> I've
> tried turning it on in the security center, the control
> panel/system/automatic updates tab, and using the icon in the system tray.
> None will turn it on. I've gone into the services and manually turned on
> the service, but it turns back off as soon as i click anything else after
> changing it. I've tried starting the service and immediately rebooting,
> and it still turns it off. Any ideas? Could I have accidentally deleted a
> registry key or something that would be required to run it? Any ideas
> would be great. Thanks!

Butterat2001

Re: Windows Update Failure
For spyware, I have ad-aware SE and Spybot installed, though i have been
using spybot exclusively lately. I have zone alarm installed, but disabled,
and decided to use windows firewall instead. And i have Eset Smart Security
for my antivirus. Will try the Hijackthis and check back.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [Crosspost to WU NG]
>
> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? What
> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall
> (if any)?

> 1. You receive a "Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display
> the requested page" error message when you try to install an update:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883614
>
> 2. Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
>
> Support for Windows Update:

> security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is related
> to installing Security Updates.
>
> 3. Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315
>
> Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis log
> to an appropriate forum.
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
> http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_R...:_Introduction
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/

> (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use.
> It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware with
> assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
> http://castlecops.com/forum67.html,
> http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7,
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums for review
> by an expert in such matters, not here.**

> => Windows Update-specific newsgroup: microsoft.public.windowsupdate
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> Butterat2001 wrote:
> > I have XP, sp2. I turned automatic updates off about two months ago
> > because
> > it was downloading every single update as soon as it became available and
> > then restarting my computer once the download installed. Now, I'm trying
> > get the system updates that have been released since then, and I keep
> > getting errors that say I have to have automatic updates on in order to
> > get
> > any updates, and that my system can't start automatic updates for me.
> > I've
> > tried turning it on in the security center, the control
> > panel/system/automatic updates tab, and using the icon in the system tray.
> > None will turn it on. I've gone into the services and manually turned on
> > the service, but it turns back off as soon as i click anything else after
> > changing it. I've tried starting the service and immediately rebooting,
> > and it still turns it off. Any ideas? Could I have accidentally deleted a
> > registry key or something that would be required to run it? Any ideas
> > would be great. Thanks!

Re: Windows Update Failure
Ad-Aware SE is no longer supported. The current version if AdAware 2008:
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

Is Spybot Tea Timer enabled?

Are you aware that ESET Smart Security includes a firewall (cf.
http://www.eset.com/smartsecurity/)? Try (1) uninstalling ZA via Add/Remove
Programs, disabling the Windows Firewall, and then making sure the ESET
firewall is enabled.
--
~PA Bear

Butterat2001 wrote:
> [...]
>>> trying
>>> get the system updates that have been released since then, and I keep
>>> getting errors that say I have to have automatic updates on in order to
>>> get
>>> any updates, and that my system can't start automatic updates for me.
>>> I've
>>> tried turning it on in the security center, the control
>>> panel/system/automatic updates tab, and using the icon in the system
>>> tray.
>>> None will turn it on. I've gone into the services and manually turned on
>>> the service, but it turns back off as soon as i click anything else
>>> after
>>> changing it. I've tried starting the service and immediately rebooting,
>>> and it still turns it off. Any ideas? Could I have accidentally deleted
>>> registry key or something that would be required to run it? Any ideas

Butterat2001

Re: Windows Update Failure
Yes, spybot tea timer is enabled. It annoys the tar out of me. Something
keeps trying to make registry changes to my rundll32 and my startup commands,
but it doesn't tell me anything about what program is asking to change that.
Did not know eset had a firewall. Cool! Thanks for all your help so far.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> >> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware
> >>
> >> When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
> >> (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use.
> >> It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware with
> >> assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
> >> http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22,
> >> http://castlecops.com/forum67.html,
> >> http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7,
> >> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums for
> >> review
> >> by an expert in such matters, not here.**
> >>
> >> If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
> >> this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local, reputable and
> >> independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA) computer repair shop.
> >>
> >> => Windows Update-specific newsgroup: microsoft.public.windowsupdate

Re: Windows Update Failure
Well, you'll need to fully disable Spybot Tea Timer before you'll be able to
install updates successfully, that's for sure! If you don't fully
understand what Tea Timer does and how it does it, I'd recommend leaving it
disabled. The other Spybot "resident" (SDHelper), working in tandem with
your ESET suite should offer more than sufficient real-time protection.

See http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=32409

PS: Hold off on posting your HijackThis log for now, please.
--
~PA Bear