XP SP3 frustration

Ken G.

XP SP3 frustration
Like others I'm having trouble installing SP 3 in my XP Pro installation. The
first time it gave the "Access Denied" error, so I got onto this site,
disabled my virus protection and firewall and tried again. Same error, so I
used Smart Close to shut everything down and tried again - same error.

I don't see the point in closing down all open programs and re-booting. Lots
of stuff opens automatically on re-boot so they're all back. Any way I did
that, turned off the antivirus etc and this time it got about half way
through and just froze. I left it for over an hour and it didn't move, so I
cancelled it. Goodness only knows what has or hasn't been done to my OS.

When I ran Update again all it found was a 612mb upgrade to Office 2007
which I only purchased 2 weeks ago.

If Microsoft was a horse you'd have it put down.

How can I install SP3?
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: XP SP3 frustration
Download and install the standalone version of SP3.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Ken G." <KenG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5ED4B00C-F8AA-4FA8-8DD4-BD464C89C260@microsoft.com...
Like others I'm having trouble installing SP 3 in my XP Pro installation. The
first time it gave the "Access Denied" error, so I got onto this site,
disabled my virus protection and firewall and tried again. Same error, so I
used Smart Close to shut everything down and tried again - same error.

I don't see the point in closing down all open programs and re-booting. Lots
of stuff opens automatically on re-boot so they're all back. Any way I did
that, turned off the antivirus etc and this time it got about half way
through and just froze. I left it for over an hour and it didn't move, so I
cancelled it. Goodness only knows what has or hasn't been done to my OS.

When I ran Update again all it found was a 612mb upgrade to Office 2007
which I only purchased 2 weeks ago.

If Microsoft was a horse you'd have it put down.

How can I install SP3?
TaurArian

Re: XP SP3 frustration
Error message when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 3: "Access is denied" or
"Service Pack installation did not complete"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

Also see:
How to reset security settings back to the defaults
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"Ken G." <KenG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Like others I'm having trouble installing SP 3 in my XP Pro installation. The
| first time it gave the "Access Denied" error, so I got onto this site,
| disabled my virus protection and firewall and tried again. Same error, so I
| used Smart Close to shut everything down and tried again - same error.
|
| I don't see the point in closing down all open programs and re-booting. Lots
| of stuff opens automatically on re-boot so they're all back. Any way I did
| that, turned off the antivirus etc and this time it got about half way
| through and just froze. I left it for over an hour and it didn't move, so I
| cancelled it. Goodness only knows what has or hasn't been done to my OS.
|
| When I ran Update again all it found was a 612mb upgrade to Office 2007
| which I only purchased 2 weeks ago.
|
| If Microsoft was a horse you'd have it put down.
|
| How can I install SP3?

Re: XP SP3 frustration
In for a penny...

e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.

• US:

• CA:

• UK:

• AU:

• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Ken G. wrote:
> Like others I'm having trouble installing SP 3 in my XP Pro installation.
> The first time it gave the "Access Denied" error, so I got onto this site,
> disabled my virus protection and firewall and tried again. Same error, so
> used Smart Close to shut everything down and tried again - same error.
>
> I don't see the point in closing down all open programs and re-booting.
> Lots
> of stuff opens automatically on re-boot so they're all back. Any way I did
> that, turned off the antivirus etc and this time it got about half way
> through and just froze. I left it for over an hour and it didn't move, so
> cancelled it. Goodness only knows what has or hasn't been done to my OS.
>
> When I ran Update again all it found was a 612mb upgrade to Office 2007
> which I only purchased 2 weeks ago.
>
> If Microsoft was a horse you'd have it put down.
>
> How can I install SP3?

wc0938975120@hotmail.com.tw

RE: XP SP3 frustration

"Ken G." wrote:

> Like others I'm having trouble installing SP 3 in my XP Pro installation. The
> first time it gave the "Access Denied" error, so I got onto this site,
> disabled my virus protection and firewall and tried again. Same error, so I
> used Smart Close to shut everything down and tried again - same error.
>
> I don't see the point in closing down all open programs and re-booting. Lots
> of stuff opens automatically on re-boot so they're all back. Any way I did
> that, turned off the antivirus etc and this time it got about half way
> through and just froze. I left it for over an hour and it didn't move, so I
> cancelled it. Goodness only knows what has or hasn't been done to my OS.
>
> When I ran Update again all it found was a 612mb upgrade to Office 2007
> which I only purchased 2 weeks ago.
>
> If Microsoft was a horse you'd have it put down.
>
> How can I install SP3?

Alf P. Steinbach

Re: XP SP3 frustration
* PA Bear [MS MVP]:
> In for a penny...
>
> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation

Like, it's the customer's fault that our car doesn't work.

Hey, you dumb customer, you forgot to follow the directions in KB article
#123456, which clearly states that before attempting to start the car, you must,
if this applies to your particular car (see detailed analysis procedure in KB
article 7890A, only takes 20 hours to do), connect the red wire at location
XYZ123 to a split you must introduce on the green wire at location ABC/&%#!

And if the car still does not start, well, you have just failed to prepare it
properly for start-up, it's your fault, plus, since you have messed with the
innards all guarantees are now void, so sorry can't help you but will sue.

Free umlimited support except not actually available:

> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.
>
> US:
>

> CA:
>

> UK:
>

> AU:
>

> Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 |
> select Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3

Cheers,

- Alf

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is it such a bad thing?
TaurArian

Re: XP SP3 frustration
Alf, we are only volunteers here. If you wish to make a complaint, please contact
Microsoft.
--

"Alf P. Steinbach" <alfps@start.no> wrote in message
|* PA Bear [MS MVP]:
| > In for a penny...
| >
| > WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
|
| Like, it's the customer's fault that our car doesn't work.
|
| Hey, you dumb customer, you forgot to follow the directions in KB article
| #123456, which clearly states that before attempting to start the car, you must,
| if this applies to your particular car (see detailed analysis procedure in KB
| article 7890A, only takes 20 hours to do), connect the red wire at location
| XYZ123 to a split you must introduce on the green wire at location ABC/&%#!
|
| And if the car still does not start, well, you have just failed to prepare it
| properly for start-up, it's your fault, plus, since you have messed with the
| innards all guarantees are now void, so sorry can't help you but will sue.

| Free umlimited support except not actually available:
|
| > ========================================
| > Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
| > Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
| > e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.
| >
| > US:
| > http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
| >

| > CA:
| > http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
| >

| > UK:
| > http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
| >

| > AU:
| > http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131

| > Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 |
| > select Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3
|

| Cheers,
|
| - Alf
|
| --
| A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
| Q: Why is it such a bad thing?
| A: Top-posting.
| Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?

RHinNC

Re: XP SP3 frustration
Ken, I feel your frustration. I too can not get SP3 to work for the same
reason as you (Access Denied) I hesitated before I tried to install SP3,
here is why:

-Why break something that is not broke?
-I ran Win 95 until I could buy a new PC with XP SP2 on it.
-Past experience has shown me that making a major OS updated on a 3 year old
PC is not a good idea.
-Never received but 2 BSOD in 3 years, one was after a corrupt video driver
installation, the other was when I tried to install SP3.
-I have Windows Live OneCare (you would have thought it should have known I
am trying to install SP3 and unabled Virus and Spyware or basically turned
itself off. (But i digress)
-I also run Spybot S&D and have since it came out. I use my PC 8-10 hours a
day and not once has Live OneCare of Spybot found one single issue. (I
practice safe computing)

So what am I going to do?

Wait until I buy a new PC in a couple years with Vista SP5, or Windows 7 and
a SP or two have come out.

Again, why break something that is not broke.

Good Luck

"Ken G." <KenG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Like others I'm having trouble installing SP 3 in my XP Pro installation.
> The
> first time it gave the "Access Denied" error, so I got onto this site,
> disabled my virus protection and firewall and tried again. Same error, so
> used Smart Close to shut everything down and tried again - same error.
>
> I don't see the point in closing down all open programs and re-booting.
> Lots
> of stuff opens automatically on re-boot so they're all back. Any way I did
> that, turned off the antivirus etc and this time it got about half way
> through and just froze. I left it for over an hour and it didn't move, so
> cancelled it. Goodness only knows what has or hasn't been done to my OS.
>
> When I ran Update again all it found was a 612mb upgrade to Office 2007
> which I only purchased 2 weeks ago.
>
> If Microsoft was a horse you'd have it put down.
>
> How can I install SP3?

Alan

Re: XP SP3 frustration
Hi Taurarian,

I think many people who vent here would be happy to keep the MVPs out of it,
but they really don't know exactly to whom -- or where -- they should send
their complaints.

Is there some specific email address at Microsoft to which complaints and
comments regarding updates and Service packs can be sent??

Alan