Windows Automatic Update freezes computer after startup

Alyssa Murphy

Windows Automatic Update freezes computer after startup
Yesterday I got an alert to restart my computer to install automatic
updates.
I did just that, and had problems after.

Here's what happend:

1) Restarted
2) Upon reboot, after logging into my machine, an alert confirming the
updates were installed showed up on the bottom right corner of the
screen. Then it just froze. I couldn't do anything.

3) I restarted again
4) Same thing happened

5) I restarted again
6) This time the Add new hardware wizard shows up and my screen is
frrozen. I can't do anything.

7) I unplug everything from my laptop and restart again
9) This time it froze on the thinkvantage password entry screen

I finally restarted in safemode and reverted my laptop to a previously
backed up state.
The message I got upon success was that a registry file was corrupted
or missing.

I have a lenovo T60 thinkpad running: Windows XP Version 5.1 (Build
2600.xpsp_sp2) Service Pack 2

I have turned off Automatic updates because I'm scared to run them
now.

Has anyone had similar problems with the recent automatic update?

Re: Windows Automatic Update freezes computer after startup
Tip: Temporarily disable real-time protection by your anti-virus and/or
anti-spyware applications (e.g., CounterSpy, Spysweeper, Spybot, AVG
Anti-Spyware) and/or any third-party firewall (e.g., ZA) before attempting
to install the update(s). If you disable a third-party firewall, do NOT
connect to the internet without having the Windows Firewall enabled!

Support for Windows Update:

to a Security Update.

your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

Alyssa Murphy wrote:
> Yesterday I got an alert to restart my computer to install automatic
> updates.
> I did just that, and had problems after.
>
> Here's what happend:
>
> 1) Restarted
> 2) Upon reboot, after logging into my machine, an alert confirming the
> updates were installed showed up on the bottom right corner of the
> screen. Then it just froze. I couldn't do anything.
>
> 3) I restarted again
> 4) Same thing happened
>
> 5) I restarted again
> 6) This time the Add new hardware wizard shows up and my screen is
> frrozen. I can't do anything.
>
> 7) I unplug everything from my laptop and restart again
> 9) This time it froze on the thinkvantage password entry screen
>

> I finally restarted in safemode and reverted my laptop to a previously
> backed up state.
> The message I got upon success was that a registry file was corrupted
> or missing.
>

> I have a lenovo T60 thinkpad running: Windows XP Version 5.1 (Build
> 2600.xpsp_sp2) Service Pack 2
>

> I have turned off Automatic updates because I'm scared to run them
> now.
>

> Has anyone had similar problems with the recent automatic update?

stephen Moore

RE: Windows Automatic Update freezes computer after startup

yes I have the same problemand after talking to Microft and Medion tech like
you I have turned off the updates.My Laptop tech said that the hardware is
not compatable .
mad ha!!!

steve
scotland

"Alyssa Murphy" wrote:

> Yesterday I got an alert to restart my computer to install automatic
> updates.
> I did just that, and had problems after.
>
> Here's what happend:
>
> 1) Restarted
> 2) Upon reboot, after logging into my machine, an alert confirming the
> updates were installed showed up on the bottom right corner of the
> screen. Then it just froze. I couldn't do anything.
>
> 3) I restarted again
> 4) Same thing happened
>
> 5) I restarted again
> 6) This time the Add new hardware wizard shows up and my screen is
> frrozen. I can't do anything.
>
> 7) I unplug everything from my laptop and restart again
> 9) This time it froze on the thinkvantage password entry screen
>

> I finally restarted in safemode and reverted my laptop to a previously
> backed up state.
> The message I got upon success was that a registry file was corrupted
> or missing.
>

> I have a lenovo T60 thinkpad running: Windows XP Version 5.1 (Build
> 2600.xpsp_sp2) Service Pack 2
>

> I have turned off Automatic updates because I'm scared to run them
> now.
>

> Has anyone had similar problems with the recent automatic update?

Kyle

RE: Windows Automatic Update freezes computer after startup
Yep, close to the same problem.

Microsoft downloaded updates last night, and for 5 hours today everything
was fine. Now, whenever I get the yellow shield with exclamation point that
prompts me to install more updates and you have the option to choose express
or custom install comes up, if it tries to download, or i download, my
computer instantly freezes. I have no clue what to do.

Re: Windows Automatic Update freezes computer after startup
And you're replying to...?

Please begin a new thread about /your/ problem. Please see this page
http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm for the information we'd need to be able to
assist you properly in the new thread.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/