How do I install needed update# KB938126??

Bill Milosz

How do I install needed update# KB938126??
When I download and install this update, my Windows Vista Ultimate with SP1
(RETAIL VERSION / D-I-Y COMPUTER) tells me "THIS UPDATE DOES NOT APPLY TO
YOUR SYSTEM" - Linksys tells me I cannot use their Media Extender until I
run Update KB938126, and Windows tells me it can't apply the update. I have
also tried extracting the .CAB from the .MSU and installing it manually from
the command line, and I get the same error. I have checked WINDOWS UPDATE in
Control Panel, and I have verified that KB938126 has NOT been applied to my
systen I also checked to see what updates are rolled up into SP1, and I have
verified that KB938126 is NOT in SP1.

I am absolutely sure I have the correct version of KB938126 - I am using 64
Bit Vista, and I have downloaded the version KB938126 marked as "X64". (I
also tried the X86 32 bit version of KB938126 just for grins, no dice.)

I have opened a support issue with Microsoft SRX1068209466 and the
technician sent me one email which did not help, and now he does not respond
to my repeated replies to him. (I have had five Support Issues with
Microsoft in the last two months, and in only ONE of them did Microsoft
actually help me. In ALL the other cases, the technician just did not
respond or reply to me.)

Where can I go with this? Is there some way to get REAL help from Microsoft?
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: How do I install needed update# KB938126??
(cross-post added to Vista Perf & Maint)
"Bill Milosz" <BillMilosz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I download and install this update, my Windows Vista Ultimate with SP1
> (RETAIL VERSION / D-I-Y COMPUTER) tells me "THIS UPDATE DOES NOT APPLY TO
> YOUR SYSTEM" - Linksys tells me I cannot use their Media Extender until I
> run Update KB938126, and Windows tells me it can't apply the update. I have
> also tried extracting the .CAB from the .MSU and installing it manually from
> the command line, and I get the same error. I have checked WINDOWS UPDATE in
> Control Panel, and I have verified that KB938126 has NOT been applied to my
> systen I also checked to see what updates are rolled up into SP1, and I have
> verified that KB938126 is NOT in SP1.

Explain? What did you do to prove that? Unfortunately there are no details
in KB938126 so you would have to extract the modules from its package
find out what versions it contained and then compare with the versions of the
same modules that you have now as a result of installing SP1.

Then if it turned out that SP1 supersedes KB938126 you would have to check
with LinkSys about getting an amended version of their fix.

> I am absolutely sure I have the correct version of KB938126 - I am using 64
> Bit Vista, and I have downloaded the version KB938126 marked as "X64". (I
> also tried the X86 32 bit version of KB938126 just for grins, no dice.)

In fact, if you have installed SP1 you may not have "the correct version".
So another alternative might be uninstalling SP1, then installing your
"correct version" of KB938126, then installing your LinkSys update
and finally re-installing SP1.

> I have opened a support issue with Microsoft SRX1068209466 and the
> technician sent me one email which did not help, and now he does not respond
> to my repeated replies to him. (I have had five Support Issues with
> Microsoft in the last two months, and in only ONE of them did Microsoft
> actually help me. In ALL the other cases, the technician just did not
> respond or reply to me.)
>
> Where can I go with this? Is there some way to get REAL help from Microsoft?

Perhaps try a Vista specific newsgroup? Cross-posting to one for convenience.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Re: How do I install needed update# KB938126??
Entire thread history:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...4a068af42ef26f

While I'm sure we all understand your frustration, KB938126 cannot be
installed if SP1 is installed, period. (The fact that the KB article no
longer exists is a big clue.)

If think Linksys is blowing smoke up your wazoo.
--
~PA Bear

Bill Milosz wrote:
> When I download and install this update, my Windows Vista Ultimate with
> SP1
> (RETAIL VERSION / D-I-Y COMPUTER) tells me "THIS UPDATE DOES NOT APPLY TO
> YOUR SYSTEM" - Linksys tells me I cannot use their Media Extender until I
> run Update KB938126, and Windows tells me it can't apply the update. I
> have
> also tried extracting the .CAB from the .MSU and installing it manually
> from
> the command line, and I get the same error. I have checked WINDOWS UPDATE
> in Control Panel, and I have verified that KB938126 has NOT been applied
> my systen I also checked to see what updates are rolled up into SP1, and I
> have verified that KB938126 is NOT in SP1.
>
> I am absolutely sure I have the correct version of KB938126 - I am using
> 64
> Bit Vista, and I have downloaded the version KB938126 marked as "X64". (I
> also tried the X86 32 bit version of KB938126 just for grins, no dice.)
>
> I have opened a support issue with Microsoft SRX1068209466 and the
> technician sent me one email which did not help, and now he does not
> respond
> to my repeated replies to him. (I have had five Support Issues with
> Microsoft in the last two months, and in only ONE of them did Microsoft
> actually help me. In ALL the other cases, the technician just did not
> respond or reply to me.)
>
> Where can I go with this? Is there some way to get REAL help from
> Microsoft?

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: How do I install needed update# KB938126??
(cross-post added to Vista Perf & Maint; Vista General)
> Entire thread history: http://groups.google.com/group/micro...4a068af42ef26f
>
> While I'm sure we all understand your frustration, KB938126 cannot be installed if SP1 is installed, period.

> (The fact that the KB article no longer exists is a big clue.)

Oops. I found this one using 938126 as a search term and didn't check which one I had found...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931364/en-us

Cross-posting to all related newsgroups.

Robert
---

> If think Linksys is blowing smoke up your wazoo.
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> Bill Milosz wrote:
>> When I download and install this update, my Windows Vista Ultimate with SP1
>> (RETAIL VERSION / D-I-Y COMPUTER) tells me "THIS UPDATE DOES NOT APPLY TO
>> YOUR SYSTEM" - Linksys tells me I cannot use their Media Extender until I
>> run Update KB938126, and Windows tells me it can't apply the update. I have
>> also tried extracting the .CAB from the .MSU and installing it manually from
>> the command line, and I get the same error. I have checked WINDOWS UPDATE
>> in Control Panel, and I have verified that KB938126 has NOT been applied to
>> my systen I also checked to see what updates are rolled up into SP1, and I
>> have verified that KB938126 is NOT in SP1.
>>
>> I am absolutely sure I have the correct version of KB938126 - I am using 64
>> Bit Vista, and I have downloaded the version KB938126 marked as "X64". (I
>> also tried the X86 32 bit version of KB938126 just for grins, no dice.)
>>
>> I have opened a support issue with Microsoft SRX1068209466 and the
>> technician sent me one email which did not help, and now he does not respond
>> to my repeated replies to him. (I have had five Support Issues with
>> Microsoft in the last two months, and in only ONE of them did Microsoft
>> actually help me. In ALL the other cases, the technician just did not
>> respond or reply to me.)
>>
>> Where can I go with this? Is there some way to get REAL help from
>> Microsoft?

Bill Milosz

Re: How do I install needed update# KB938126??
FYI I have also cross-posted in VISTA.

You've said that KB938126 cannot be applied if SP1 is installed. Where are
you getting that information?

I haven't found that anywhere. Also, in the 2 issues I have opened with
Microsoft, they did not tell me that I could not apply KB938126 if SP1 was
installed.

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> (cross-post added to Vista Perf & Maint)
> "Bill Milosz" <BillMilosz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I download and install this update, my Windows Vista Ultimate with SP1
> > (RETAIL VERSION / D-I-Y COMPUTER) tells me "THIS UPDATE DOES NOT APPLY TO
> > YOUR SYSTEM" - Linksys tells me I cannot use their Media Extender until I
> > run Update KB938126, and Windows tells me it can't apply the update. I have
> > also tried extracting the .CAB from the .MSU and installing it manually from
> > the command line, and I get the same error. I have checked WINDOWS UPDATE in
> > Control Panel, and I have verified that KB938126 has NOT been applied to my
> > systen I also checked to see what updates are rolled up into SP1, and I have
> > verified that KB938126 is NOT in SP1.

> Explain? What did you do to prove that? Unfortunately there are no details
> in KB938126 so you would have to extract the modules from its package
> find out what versions it contained and then compare with the versions of the
> same modules that you have now as a result of installing SP1.
>
> Then if it turned out that SP1 supersedes KB938126 you would have to check
> with LinkSys about getting an amended version of their fix.
>

> > I am absolutely sure I have the correct version of KB938126 - I am using 64
> > Bit Vista, and I have downloaded the version KB938126 marked as "X64". (I
> > also tried the X86 32 bit version of KB938126 just for grins, no dice.)

> In fact, if you have installed SP1 you may not have "the correct version".
> So another alternative might be uninstalling SP1, then installing your
> "correct version" of KB938126, then installing your LinkSys update
> and finally re-installing SP1.
>

> > I have opened a support issue with Microsoft SRX1068209466 and the
> > technician sent me one email which did not help, and now he does not respond
> > to my repeated replies to him. (I have had five Support Issues with
> > Microsoft in the last two months, and in only ONE of them did Microsoft
> > actually help me. In ALL the other cases, the technician just did not
> > respond or reply to me.)
> >
> > Where can I go with this? Is there some way to get REAL help from Microsoft?

> Perhaps try a Vista specific newsgroup? Cross-posting to one for convenience.
>

> Good luck
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

Re: How do I install needed update# KB938126??
> You've said that KB938126 cannot be applied if SP1 is installed. Where
> are
> you getting that information?

The simple fact that you're getting the "does not apply to your Windows
version" message when you attempt to install it.

> Microsoft...did not tell me that I could not apply KB938126 if SP1 was
> installed.

What did they tell you? If you're working with MS PSS, why are you
continuing to post to this thread?

> FYI I have also cross-posted in VISTA.
>
> You've said that KB938126 cannot be applied if SP1 is installed. Where are
> you getting that information?

How can you possibly infer that from this:

>>> I have verified that KB938126 is NOT in SP1.

>> Explain? What did you do to prove that? Unfortunately there are no details
>> in KB938126 so you would have to extract the modules from its package
>> find out what versions it contained and then compare with the versions of the
>> same modules that you have now as a result of installing SP1.
>>
>> Then if it turned out that SP1 supersedes KB938126 you would have to check
>> with LinkSys about getting an amended version of their fix.

Please note the IF. It is a conditional statement. To rephrase it with more emphasis:
IF as a result of completing the proposed analysis *you* discover that KB938126
contains an older version of <whatever modules it includes which are common with
whatever modules SP1 includes> THEN you would have to check with LinkSys about
*their* assumptions (which were probably made long before SP1 was released.)

Good luck

Robert
---

roberto

"Bill Milosz" wrote:

> When I download and install this update, my Windows Vista Ultimate with SP1
> (RETAIL VERSION / D-I-Y COMPUTER) tells me "THIS UPDATE DOES NOT APPLY TO
> YOUR SYSTEM" - Linksys tells me I cannot use their Media Extender until I
> run Update KB938126, and Windows tells me it can't apply the update. I have
> also tried extracting the .CAB from the .MSU and installing it manually from
> the command line, and I get the same error. I have checked WINDOWS UPDATE in
> Control Panel, and I have verified that KB938126 has NOT been applied to my
> systen I also checked to see what updates are rolled up into SP1, and I have
> verified that KB938126 is NOT in SP1.
>
> I am absolutely sure I have the correct version of KB938126 - I am using 64
> Bit Vista, and I have downloaded the version KB938126 marked as "X64". (I
> also tried the X86 32 bit version of KB938126 just for grins, no dice.)
>
> I have opened a support issue with Microsoft SRX1068209466 and the
> technician sent me one email which did not help, and now he does not respond
> to my repeated replies to him. (I have had five Support Issues with
> Microsoft in the last two months, and in only ONE of them did Microsoft
> actually help me. In ALL the other cases, the technician just did not
> respond or reply to me.)
>
> Where can I go with this? Is there some way to get REAL help from Microsoft?

Bill Milosz

Re: How do I install needed update# KB938126??
The Microsoft Support Tech confirmed that KB938126 is most definitely
**NOT** rolled up into Vista SP1. The Tech also further confirmed that
KB938126 is **REQURIED** in order for Media Center to work with the newer
type of Media Extenders, such as the Linksys DMA2100.

According to Microsoft, KB938126 can be applied before or after SP1, it
should make no difference.

They had me clear out a directory related to updates and make a few changes
in the Registry, and now KB938126 installs properly.