Can't access Windows Update

crharve

Can't access Windows Update
When accessing update, it takes forever and I get error code 0X80072EFD. I
have
active X working and using Windows XP Media Center version. When rebooting
the update shield comes up and 0 installed and then disappears.
crharve

RE: Can't access Windows Update
I also have automatic updates turned on.

"crharve" wrote:

> When accessing update, it takes forever and I get error code 0X80072EFD. I
> have
> active X working and using Windows XP Media Center version. When rebooting
> the update shield comes up and 0 installed and then disappears.

TaurArian

Re: Can't access Windows Update
Error: 80072EFD = ERROR_INTERNET_CANNOT_CONNECT
Translation: Cannot connect to the Internet server

There's a possibility that either a 3rd party firewall, anti-spyware program, web
accelerator, Internet security/antivirus program and/or a proxy server is interfering with
the Windows Update Services (SVCHOST) accessing the Internet.

Suggest adding the Windows Update website addresses to exceptions/allow list
http://*.update.microsoft.com
https://*.update.microsoft.com
http://download.windowsupdate.com

If that hasn't help, check that the Windows Update Service can connect to the Internet
through port 80 and port 443.

You may need to refer to the individual programs documentation for further instructions.

FYI

When accessing the Update site, you receive the 0x80072EE2 or 0x80072EFD error.
http://update.microsoft.com/windowsu...=en&IsMu=False

You may receive an "Error 0x80072EE2," "Error 0x80072EE7," "Error 0x80072EFD," "Error
0x80072F76," or "Error 0x80072F78" error message when you try to use the Windows Update
Web site or the Microsoft Update Web site
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941

Finding a solution for the 0x80072EFD error
http://www.updatexp.com/0x80072efd.html

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"crharve" <crharve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| When accessing update, it takes forever and I get error code 0X80072EFD. I
| have
| active X working and using Windows XP Media Center version. When rebooting
| the update shield comes up and 0 installed and then disappears.

elijah

RE: Can't access Windows Update
i have an labtop

"crharve" wrote:

> When accessing update, it takes forever and I get error code 0X80072EFD. I
> have
> active X working and using Windows XP Media Center version. When rebooting
> the update shield comes up and 0 installed and then disappears.

TaurArian

Re: Can't access Windows Update
So do I.

--

"elijah" <elijah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
|i have an labtop

crharve

Re: Can't access Windows Update
Taurian,
How do I check Windows Update Service so it can connect to the Internet
through Port 80 and 43. Also, How do I update website address to
exceptions/allow list. thanks for your help.

"TaurArian" wrote:

> Error: 80072EFD = ERROR_INTERNET_CANNOT_CONNECT
> Translation: Cannot connect to the Internet server
>
> There's a possibility that either a 3rd party firewall, anti-spyware program, web
> accelerator, Internet security/antivirus program and/or a proxy server is interfering with
> the Windows Update Services (SVCHOST) accessing the Internet.
>
> Suggest adding the Windows Update website addresses to exceptions/allow list
> http://*.update.microsoft.com
> https://*.update.microsoft.com
> http://download.windowsupdate.com
>
> If that hasn't help, check that the Windows Update Service can connect to the Internet
> through port 80 and port 443.
>
> You may need to refer to the individual programs documentation for further instructions.
>
> FYI
>
> When accessing the Update site, you receive the 0x80072EE2 or 0x80072EFD error.
> http://update.microsoft.com/windowsu...=en&IsMu=False
>
> You may receive an "Error 0x80072EE2," "Error 0x80072EE7," "Error 0x80072EFD," "Error
> 0x80072F76," or "Error 0x80072F78" error message when you try to use the Windows Update
> Web site or the Microsoft Update Web site
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941
>
> Finding a solution for the 0x80072EFD error
> http://www.updatexp.com/0x80072efd.html
>

> --
>
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
>

> "crharve" <crharve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | When accessing update, it takes forever and I get error code 0X80072EFD. I
> | have
> | active X working and using Windows XP Media Center version. When rebooting
> | the update shield comes up and 0 installed and then disappears.

MowGreen [MVP]

TaurArian wrote:

> So do I.

I have a labrador. Does that count ? <w>

MG
TaurArian

Re: Can't access Windows Update
1. Your firewall settings
2. Read the articles especially: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941
Try the *guided help*

--

| Taurian,
| How do I check Windows Update Service so it can connect to the Internet
| through Port 80 and 43. Also, How do I update website address to
| exceptions/allow list. thanks for your help.
|
| "TaurArian" wrote:
|
| > Error: 80072EFD = ERROR_INTERNET_CANNOT_CONNECT
| > Translation: Cannot connect to the Internet server
| >
| > There's a possibility that either a 3rd party firewall, anti-spyware program, web
| > accelerator, Internet security/antivirus program and/or a proxy server is interfering
with
| > the Windows Update Services (SVCHOST) accessing the Internet.
| >
| > Suggest adding the Windows Update website addresses to exceptions/allow list
| > http://*.update.microsoft.com
| > https://*.update.microsoft.com
| > http://download.windowsupdate.com
| >
| > If that hasn't help, check that the Windows Update Service can connect to the Internet
| > through port 80 and port 443.
| >
| > You may need to refer to the individual programs documentation for further
instructions.

| > FYI
| >
| > When accessing the Update site, you receive the 0x80072EE2 or 0x80072EFD error.

http://update.microsoft.com/windowsu...=en&IsMu=False

| > You may receive an "Error 0x80072EE2," "Error 0x80072EE7," "Error 0x80072EFD," "Error
| > 0x80072F76," or "Error 0x80072F78" error message when you try to use the Windows
Update
| > Web site or the Microsoft Update Web site
| > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941
| >
| > Finding a solution for the 0x80072EFD error
| > http://www.updatexp.com/0x80072efd.html
| >

| > --
| >
| > TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
| > http://taurarian.mvps.org
| > ======================================
| > How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
| > Computer Maintenance: Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco
| >

| > "crharve" <crharve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > | When accessing update, it takes forever and I get error code 0X80072EFD. I
| > | have
| > | active X working and using Windows XP Media Center version. When rebooting
| > | the update shield comes up and 0 installed and then disappears.

TaurArian

Re: Can't access Windows Update
Why not, labrador, laptop, they both start with "l"

--

"MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
| TaurArian wrote:
|
| > So do I.
| >

| I have a labrador. Does that count ? <w>
|
| MG

crharve

Re: Can't access Windows Update
I took your advice and tried to add it to the list on firewall: Computer
Associates Suite Firewall. I was told to add sites I would have to browze to
the site or file on the C Drive. I did that and got to Windows Update but it
was greyed out so I couldn't select it and add it to the list. The only way
I can get Windows Updates is to turn off the firewall and then the updates
work. This is what tells me it is the Firewall that is causing a conflict.
I'm still working on this, so if you have further advice, please do so.
Thanks for your help.