SP3 Access Denied Error

RHinNC

SP3 Access Denied Error
This PC has been exceptionally stable. (Dell 8400 3.6g, 4GB RAM, 200GB)

Then I tried to install SP3. About halfway through the installation, I
received the Access Denied Error. So I Googled it and saw the fix where you
install subinacl and then create the reset.cmd script.

So I downloaded and installed subinacl, copied the reset.cmd text and
created that file.

About 5 mins into running the reset.cmd, I got a BSOD saying registry error.
Turned the PC off and rebooted and apparently is running OK.

I have never had any issues with crashes on this PC, the only other BSOD I
ever saw (I am the only user) was due to a video driver.

Running SP2 now with all updates applied except for SP3.

I did notice while reset.cmd was running that 3 registry entries failed
before I received the BSOD.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: SP3 Access Denied Error
Error message when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 3: "Access
is denied" or “Service Pack installation did not complete”
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

Either security software is preventing any changes to the registry or,
malware is. Try Method 2 in the above article.
IF a 3rd party firewall is being used suggest you disable it for now and
use the native XP firewall.

If the application of SP3 still brings up the Access Denied error, then
post back with the contents of the spupdsvc.log that is located in WINDOWS.
That should show where the registry operations are being denied access.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

RHinNC wrote:

> This PC has been exceptionally stable. (Dell 8400 3.6g, 4GB RAM, 200GB)
>
> Then I tried to install SP3. About halfway through the installation, I
> received the Access Denied Error. So I Googled it and saw the fix where you
> install subinacl and then create the reset.cmd script.
>
> So I downloaded and installed subinacl, copied the reset.cmd text and
> created that file.
>
> About 5 mins into running the reset.cmd, I got a BSOD saying registry error.
> Turned the PC off and rebooted and apparently is running OK.
>
> I have never had any issues with crashes on this PC, the only other BSOD I
> ever saw (I am the only user) was due to a video driver.
>
> Running SP2 now with all updates applied except for SP3.
>
> I did notice while reset.cmd was running that 3 registry entries failed
> before I received the BSOD.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks

RHinNC

Re: SP3 Access Denied Error
You know, I am using Windows Live OneCare and did not disable it. Perhaps
that is the culprit.

Will try method 2.

Thanks

"MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
> Error message when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 3: "Access
> is denied" or “Service Pack installation did not complete”
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
>
> Either security software is preventing any changes to the registry or,
> malware is. Try Method 2 in the above article.
> IF a 3rd party firewall is being used suggest you disable it for now and
> use the native XP firewall.
>
> If the application of SP3 still brings up the Access Denied error, then
> post back with the contents of the spupdsvc.log that is located in
> WINDOWS.
> That should show where the registry operations are being denied access.
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> RHinNC wrote:
>
>> This PC has been exceptionally stable. (Dell 8400 3.6g, 4GB RAM, 200GB)
>>
>> Then I tried to install SP3. About halfway through the installation, I
>> received the Access Denied Error. So I Googled it and saw the fix where
>> you install subinacl and then create the reset.cmd script.
>>
>> So I downloaded and installed subinacl, copied the reset.cmd text and
>> created that file.
>>
>> About 5 mins into running the reset.cmd, I got a BSOD saying registry
>> error. Turned the PC off and rebooted and apparently is running OK.
>>
>> I have never had any issues with crashes on this PC, the only other BSOD
>> I ever saw (I am the only user) was due to a video driver.
>>
>> Running SP2 now with all updates applied except for SP3.
>>
>> I did notice while reset.cmd was running that 3 registry entries failed
>> before I received the BSOD.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks

RHinNC

Re: SP3 Access Denied Error
Same error.

When I try to copy the contents of the spupdsvc.log file I am told the post
is too large.

So instead of the entire log, I will post the bottom part:

[spupdsvc.log]
-------------------------------
92.281: [PerformInfInstructions] Running - C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe
/s C:\WINDOWS\system32\msnetobj.dll ...
92.312: [RunProcess] called with C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe /s
C:\WINDOWS\system32\msnetobj.dll
92.375: [IsPointsToExecutable] called with C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe
/s C:\WINDOWS\system32\msnetobj.dll
92.421: [IsPointsToExecutable] checking for the presence of
C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe
92.453: [IsPointsToExecutable] C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe exists in
C:\WINDOWS\system32
92.500: [RunProcess] calling CreateProcess for
C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe /s C:\WINDOWS\system32\msnetobj.dll
92.531: [RunProcess] CreateProcess Succeeded
94.328: [PerformInfInstructions] Done. Return code: 0
94.390: [PerformInfInstructions] Running - C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe
/s C:\WINDOWS\system32\drmv2clt.dll ...
94.421: [RunProcess] called with C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe /s
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drmv2clt.dll
94.453: [IsPointsToExecutable] called with C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe
/s C:\WINDOWS\system32\drmv2clt.dll
94.484: [IsPointsToExecutable] checking for the presence of
C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe
94.531: [IsPointsToExecutable] C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe exists in
C:\WINDOWS\system32
94.578: [RunProcess] calling CreateProcess for
C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe /s C:\WINDOWS\system32\drmv2clt.dll
94.625: [RunProcess] CreateProcess Succeeded
96.515: [PerformInfInstructions] Done. Return code: 0
96.578: [PerformInfInstructions] Running - C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe
/s C:\WINDOWS\system32\blackbox.dll ...
96.625: [RunProcess] called with C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe /s
C:\WINDOWS\system32\blackbox.dll
96.671: [IsPointsToExecutable] called with C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe
/s C:\WINDOWS\system32\blackbox.dll
96.718: [IsPointsToExecutable] checking for the presence of
C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe
96.750: [IsPointsToExecutable] C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe exists in
C:\WINDOWS\system32
96.796: [RunProcess] calling CreateProcess for
C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe /s C:\WINDOWS\system32\blackbox.dll
96.828: [RunProcess] CreateProcess Succeeded
97.640: [PerformInfInstructions] Done. Return code: 0
97.671: [PerformInfInstructions] Running - C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe
/s C:\WINDOWS\system32\wmpshell.dll ...
97.703: [RunProcess] called with C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe /s
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wmpshell.dll
97.718: [IsPointsToExecutable] called with C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe
/s C:\WINDOWS\system32\wmpshell.dll
97.734: [IsPointsToExecutable] checking for the presence of
C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe
97.781: [IsPointsToExecutable] C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe exists in
C:\WINDOWS\system32
97.843: [RunProcess] calling CreateProcess for
C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe /s C:\WINDOWS\system32\wmpshell.dll
97.890: [RunProcess] CreateProcess Succeeded
98.406: [PerformInfInstructions] Done. Return code: 0
98.421: [PerformInfInstructions] Running - C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe
/s C:\WINDOWS\system32\wmpasf.dll ...
98.468: [RunProcess] called with C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe /s
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wmpasf.dll
98.531: [IsPointsToExecutable] called with C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe
/s C:\WINDOWS\system32\wmpasf.dll
98.562: [IsPointsToExecutable] checking for the presence of
C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe
98.593: [IsPointsToExecutable] C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe exists in
C:\WINDOWS\system32
98.640: [RunProcess] calling CreateProcess for
C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe /s C:\WINDOWS\system32\wmpasf.dll
98.687: [RunProcess] CreateProcess Succeeded
99.640: [PerformInfInstructions] Done. Return code: 0
99.687: [PerformInfInstructions] Running - C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe
/s C:\WINDOWS\system32\wmpdxm.dll ...
99.718: [RunProcess] called with C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe /s
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wmpdxm.dll
99.718: [IsPointsToExecutable] called with C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe
/s C:\WINDOWS\system32\wmpdxm.dll
99.750: [IsPointsToExecutable] checking for the presence of
C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe
99.796: [IsPointsToExecutable] C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe exists in
C:\WINDOWS\system32
99.828: [RunProcess] calling CreateProcess for
C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe /s C:\WINDOWS\system32\wmpdxm.dll
99.859: [RunProcess] CreateProcess Succeeded
100.781: [PerformInfInstructions] Done. Return code: 0
100.859: [PerformInfInstructions] Running - C:\WINDOWS\inf\unregmp2.exe
/UpdateWMP ...
100.937: [RunProcess] called with C:\WINDOWS\inf\unregmp2.exe /UpdateWMP
100.984: [IsPointsToExecutable] called with C:\WINDOWS\inf\unregmp2.exe
/UpdateWMP
101.062: [IsPointsToExecutable] checking for the presence of
C:\WINDOWS\inf\unregmp2.exe
101.359: [IsPointsToExecutable] C:\WINDOWS\inf\unregmp2.exe exists in
C:\WINDOWS\inf
101.390: [RunProcess] calling CreateProcess for C:\WINDOWS\inf\unregmp2.exe
/UpdateWMP
101.703: [RunProcess] CreateProcess Succeeded
106.125: [PerformInfInstructions] Done. Return code: 0
106.187: [PerformInfInstructions] Running - C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe
/s C:\WINDOWS\system32\scecli.dll ...
106.250: [RunProcess] called with C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe /s
C:\WINDOWS\system32\scecli.dll
106.281: [IsPointsToExecutable] called with C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe
/s C:\WINDOWS\system32\scecli.dll
106.312: [IsPointsToExecutable] checking for the presence of
C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe
106.343: [IsPointsToExecutable] C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe exists in
C:\WINDOWS\system32
106.406: [RunProcess] calling CreateProcess for
C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe /s C:\WINDOWS\system32\scecli.dll
106.437: [RunProcess] CreateProcess Succeeded
109.296: [PerformInfInstructions] Done. Return code: 0
109.390: [PerformInfInstructions] Running - C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe
/s C:\WINDOWS\system32\polstore.dll ...
109.406: [RunProcess] called with C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe /s
C:\WINDOWS\system32\polstore.dll
109.468: [IsPointsToExecutable] called with C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe
/s C:\WINDOWS\system32\polstore.dll
109.468: [IsPointsToExecutable] checking for the presence of
C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe
110.953: [IsPointsToExecutable] C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe exists in
C:\WINDOWS\system32
110.984: [RunProcess] calling CreateProcess for
C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe /s C:\WINDOWS\system32\polstore.dll
111.203: [RunProcess] CreateProcess Succeeded
111.703: [PerformInfInstructions] Done. Return code: 0
111.796: [PerformInfInstructions] SetupFindFirstLine returned error
0xe0000102 for section ProcessesToRunAfterReboot
112.671: [ProcessPostBootInf] Deleted C:\WINDOWS\system32\spupdsvc.inf at
the end of ProcessPostBootInf
112.671: [SpUpdDeleteService] DeleteService Failed: Error:1072
112.687: [SpUpdServiceStart] SpUpdDeleteService returned 1072
112.703: [SpUpdServiceStart] Deleted Service, job done. Returning the Main
Thread
112.703: [SpUpdServiceStart] setting service to stopped

"RHinNC" <rhinnc@[get rid of this] hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You know, I am using Windows Live OneCare and did not disable it. Perhaps
> that is the culprit.
>
> Will try method 2.
>
> Thanks
>
> "MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
>> Error message when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 3: "Access
>> is denied" or "Service Pack installation did not complete"
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
>>
>> Either security software is preventing any changes to the registry or,
>> malware is. Try Method 2 in the above article.
>> IF a 3rd party firewall is being used suggest you disable it for now and
>> use the native XP firewall.
>>
>> If the application of SP3 still brings up the Access Denied error, then
>> post back with the contents of the spupdsvc.log that is located in
>> WINDOWS.
>> That should show where the registry operations are being denied access.
>>

>> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>> ===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>> Never Forgotten
>> ===============
>>

>> RHinNC wrote:
>>
>>> This PC has been exceptionally stable. (Dell 8400 3.6g, 4GB RAM, 200GB)
>>>
>>> Then I tried to install SP3. About halfway through the installation, I
>>> received the Access Denied Error. So I Googled it and saw the fix where
>>> you install subinacl and then create the reset.cmd script.
>>>
>>> So I downloaded and installed subinacl, copied the reset.cmd text and
>>> created that file.
>>>
>>> About 5 mins into running the reset.cmd, I got a BSOD saying registry
>>> error. Turned the PC off and rebooted and apparently is running OK.
>>>
>>> I have never had any issues with crashes on this PC, the only other BSOD
>>> I ever saw (I am the only user) was due to a video driver.
>>>
>>> Running SP2 now with all updates applied except for SP3.
>>>
>>> I did notice while reset.cmd was running that 3 registry entries failed
>>> before I received the BSOD.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> Thanks

Re: SP3 Access Denied Error
Are you attempting to install WinXP SP3 manually or via Windows Update?

Did you just (re)install WinXP (SP2)?

(if any)? Was a Norton or McAfee application ever installed?

==================================

Steps to take before you install WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.

• US:

• CA:

• UK:

• AU:

• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

RHinNC wrote:
> Same error.
>
> When I try to copy the contents of the spupdsvc.log file I am told the
> post
> is too large.
>
> So instead of the entire log, I will post the bottom part:
>
> [spupdsvc.log]

<snip>
> 111.796: [PerformInfInstructions] SetupFindFirstLine returned error
> 0xe0000102 for section ProcessesToRunAfterReboot
> 112.671: [ProcessPostBootInf] Deleted C:\WINDOWS\system32\spupdsvc.inf at
> the end of ProcessPostBootInf
> 112.671: [SpUpdDeleteService] DeleteService Failed: Error:1072
> 112.687: [SpUpdServiceStart] SpUpdDeleteService returned 1072
> 112.703: [SpUpdServiceStart] Deleted Service, job done. Returning the Main
> Thread
> 112.703: [SpUpdServiceStart] setting service to stopped
>
> "RHinNC" <rhinnc@[get rid of this] hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> You know, I am using Windows Live OneCare and did not disable it. Perhaps
>> that is the culprit.
>>
>> Will try method 2.
>>
>> "MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
>>> Error message when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 3: "Access
>>> is denied" or "Service Pack installation did not complete"
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
>>>
>>> Either security software is preventing any changes to the registry or,
>>> malware is. Try Method 2 in the above article.
>>> IF a 3rd party firewall is being used suggest you disable it for now and
>>> use the native XP firewall.
>>>
>>> If the application of SP3 still brings up the Access Denied error, then
>>> post back with the contents of the spupdsvc.log that is located in
>>> WINDOWS.
>>> That should show where the registry operations are being denied access.

RHinNC

Re: SP3 Access Denied Error

> Are you attempting to install WinXP SP3 manually or via Windows Update?

Windows Update

> Did you just (re)install WinXP (SP2)?

No, SP2 was original OS.

> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed?

Windows Live OneCare

What
> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?

Spybot Search and Destroy, Uninstalled before attemted SP3 installation.

What third-party firewall (if any)?

None

Was a Norton or McAfee application ever installed?

Norton Internet Security 2005 was installed when PC was new. Removed via
Symantec Removal Tool 3 years ago.

Thanks!

> ==================================
>
> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
>
> Steps to take before you install WinXP SP3
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.
>
> • US:
>
> • CA:
>
> • UK:
>
> • AU:
>
> • Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
> Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> RHinNC wrote:
>> Same error.
>>
>> When I try to copy the contents of the spupdsvc.log file I am told the
>> post
>> is too large.
>>
>> So instead of the entire log, I will post the bottom part:
>>
>> [spupdsvc.log]

> <snip>
>> 111.796: [PerformInfInstructions] SetupFindFirstLine returned error
>> 0xe0000102 for section ProcessesToRunAfterReboot
>> 112.671: [ProcessPostBootInf] Deleted C:\WINDOWS\system32\spupdsvc.inf at
>> the end of ProcessPostBootInf
>> 112.671: [SpUpdDeleteService] DeleteService Failed: Error:1072
>> 112.687: [SpUpdServiceStart] SpUpdDeleteService returned 1072
>> 112.703: [SpUpdServiceStart] Deleted Service, job done. Returning the
>> Main
>> Thread
>> 112.703: [SpUpdServiceStart] setting service to stopped
>>
>> "RHinNC" <rhinnc@[get rid of this] hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> You know, I am using Windows Live OneCare and did not disable it.
>>> Perhaps
>>> that is the culprit.
>>>
>>> Will try method 2.

Re: SP3 Access Denied Error
If Spybot Tea Timer had been enabled, did you disable it properly before you
uninstalled Spybot and then installed WinXP SP3? See
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=32409

Was OneCare fully disabled prior to installing WinXP SP3?

Have you opened a free support incident yet?
--
~PA Bear

RHinNC wrote:
>> Are you attempting to install WinXP SP3 manually or via Windows Update?

> Windows Update
>>
>> Did you just (re)install WinXP (SP2)?

> No, SP2 was original OS.
>
>> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed?

> Windows Live OneCare
>
>> What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?

> Spybot Search and Destroy, Uninstalled before attemted SP3 installation.
>
> What third-party firewall (if any)?
>
> None
>
> Was a Norton or McAfee application ever installed?
>
> Norton Internet Security 2005 was installed when PC was new. Removed via
> Symantec Removal Tool 3 years ago.
>
> Thanks!
>

>> ==================================
>>
>> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...tallation.aspx
>>
>> Steps to take before you install WinXP SP3
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717
>>
>> Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
>> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
>> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.
>>
>> • US:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
>>
>> • CA:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
>>
>> • UK:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
>>
>> • AU:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
>>
>> • Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 |
>> select
>> Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> RHinNC wrote:
>>> Same error.
>>>
>>> When I try to copy the contents of the spupdsvc.log file I am told the
>>> post
>>> is too large.
>>>
>>> So instead of the entire log, I will post the bottom part:
>>>
>>> [spupdsvc.log]

>> <snip>
>>> 111.796: [PerformInfInstructions] SetupFindFirstLine returned error
>>> 0xe0000102 for section ProcessesToRunAfterReboot
>>> 112.671: [ProcessPostBootInf] Deleted C:\WINDOWS\system32\spupdsvc.inf
>>> at
>>> the end of ProcessPostBootInf
>>> 112.671: [SpUpdDeleteService] DeleteService Failed: Error:1072
>>> 112.687: [SpUpdServiceStart] SpUpdDeleteService returned 1072
>>> 112.703: [SpUpdServiceStart] Deleted Service, job done. Returning the
>>> Main Thread
>>> 112.703: [SpUpdServiceStart] setting service to stopped

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: SP3 Access Denied Error
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

> If Spybot Tea Timer had been enabled, did you disable it properly before
> you uninstalled Spybot and then installed WinXP SP3? See
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=32409
>
> Was OneCare fully disabled prior to installing WinXP SP3?
>
> Have you opened a free support incident yet?

<noscript> Isn't this fun ? </noscript>

MowGreen [yaddayaddayadda}
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

Re: SP3 Access Denied Error
MowGreen [MVP] wrote:
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> If Spybot Tea Timer had been enabled, did you disable it properly before
>> you uninstalled Spybot and then installed WinXP SP3? See
>> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=32409
>>
>> Was OneCare fully disabled prior to installing WinXP SP3?
>>
>> Have you opened a free support incident yet?

> <noscript> Isn't this fun ? </noscript>

Say g'nite, Mow.