Automatic update problem.

smg

Automatic update problem.
Everytime I start up my computer it tells me to turn on automatic updates,
when I got the control panel to do so they are already turned on. Can someone
help?
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Automatic update problem.
smg wrote:

> Everytime I start up my computer it tells me to turn on automatic updates,
> when I got the control panel to do so they are already turned on. Can someone
> help?

1) Ensure that malware known as Vundo is not causing the issue. If the
Windows Malicious Software Tool has not been installed nor the system
scanned with it for awhile, then go here, download and *save* it.
Once the download completes close all open programs and browsers.
Now run Windows-KB890830-V1.41.exe

2) Are you checking the Automatic Updates applet in the Control Panel to
see if AU is on or, are you checking the Services console to see if the
AU service is Automatic and started ?

Which antivirus|security suite and anti-malware software is|are
installed ?

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============
loly2oo4@hotmail.com

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> smg wrote:
>
> > Everytime I start up my computer it tells me to turn on automatic updates,
> > when I got the control panel to do so they are already turned on. Can someone
> > help?

> 1) Ensure that malware known as Vundo is not causing the issue. If the
> Windows Malicious Software Tool has not been installed nor the system
> scanned with it for awhile, then go here, download and *save* it.
> Once the download completes close all open programs and browsers.
> Now run Windows-KB890830-V1.41.exe
>
> 2) Are you checking the Automatic Updates applet in the Control Panel to
> see if AU is on or, are you checking the Services console to see if the
> AU service is Automatic and started ?
>

> Which antivirus|security suite and anti-malware software is|are
> installed ?
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============

smg

Re: Automatic update problem.
I have McAfee antivirus and super anti spyware on my pc.

I dont know where the servioces console is to check, I've been looking at
the AU in the control panel.

Re: Automatic update problem.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
(http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use.
It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware with
assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html,
http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums for review

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

smg wrote:
> Everytime I start up my computer it tells me to turn on automatic updates,
> when I got the control panel to do so they are already turned on. Can
> someone help?

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Automatic update problem.
Which Version of Windows, please ?

In Vista, the service is known as Windows Update
In XP, it's Automatic Updates

To access the services console, **right* click the My Computer icon
either on the Desktop or Start Menu, choose Manage.
Click on Services in Vista, Services and Applications in XP.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten