Windows vista cannot update

Tinam0972

Windows vista cannot update
My computer keeps telling me that windows (vista) cannot update due to error
code 800700C1. How can I fix this? What do I need to do? I have not been able
to update for some time now.

Re: Windows vista cannot update

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.

your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

Tinam0972 wrote:
> My computer keeps telling me that windows (vista) cannot update due to
> error
> code 800700C1. How can I fix this? What do I need to do? I have not been
> able to update for some time now.

TaurArian

RE: Windows vista cannot update
0x800700C1
-2147024703
ERROR_BAD_EXE_FORMAT
is not a valid Win32 application

It appears that there is some corruption on your Vista system - perhaps do
some maintenance, clear out temporary internet files etc.
Perhaps even rename the softwaredistribution folder to see if that improves
the situation.
--

--------------------------------
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008

"Tinam0972" wrote:

> My computer keeps telling me that windows (vista) cannot update due to error
> code 800700C1. How can I fix this? What do I need to do? I have not been able
> to update for some time now.

Jeff F

"TaurArian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@gmail.com> wrote in message
> 0x800700C1
> -2147024703
> ERROR_BAD_EXE_FORMAT
> is not a valid Win32 application
>
> It appears that there is some corruption on your Vista system - perhaps do
> some maintenance, clear out temporary internet files etc.
> Perhaps even rename the softwaredistribution folder to see if that
> improves
> the situation.

Is "softwaredistribution" the name of the Folder? What is the full path the
this folder, since it's so hard to do a simple search for a filename with
Vista.

Thanks, Jeff

TaurArian

"Jeff F" <flinnj@chartermi.net> wrote in message

| "TaurArian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@gmail.com> wrote in message
| > 0x800700C1
| > -2147024703
| > ERROR_BAD_EXE_FORMAT
| > is not a valid Win32 application
| >
| > It appears that there is some corruption on your Vista system - perhaps do
| > some maintenance, clear out temporary internet files etc.
| > Perhaps even rename the softwaredistribution folder to see if that
| > improves
| > the situation.
|
| Is "softwaredistribution" the name of the Folder? What is the full path the
| this folder, since it's so hard to do a simple search for a filename with
| Vista.
|
| Thanks, Jeff

How to rename the SoftwareDistribution folder in Vista -
1. Stop the Windows Update service (make sure you are logged on as an Administrator)

Start button || Control Panel ||System and Maintenance ||Administrative Tools
Double-click Services
(Provide the Administrator password or confirmation if prompted to do so.)
Right-click the Windows Update service and click Stop.

2. Click Start, type %windir% in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

Locate and rename the SoftwareDistribution folder.

3. Start the Windows Update service

Start button || Control Panel ||System and Maintenance ||Administrative Tools
Double-click Services
(Provide the Administrator password or confirmation if prompted to do so.)
Right-click the Windows Update service and click Start.

This procedure will erase your history on the Windows Update Site. Not important.

You can check which updates are installed on your computer by -
Start button || Control Panel || Programs
Under Programs and Features - click View installed updates.

--