XP Pro System is hosed

Pat Whitted '82

XP Pro System is hosed
Ever since XP SP3 came out, my system has been hosed. First, it was
dead, 6 saying it couldn't find some file in the system directory.
After fighting with it all night, I reinstalled Windows. Once
everything was back up, and I reapplied SP3, things started going to
crap again. This time, the messages suggested I had a hard drive
issue. Considering I had just rebuilt this system last December and
replaced everything BUT the system drive, that was a possibility. So,
I went and bought a brand new Maxtor 300GB IDE drive. Reinstalled
Windows. Let that burn in for a day, and everything seemed OK, so I
started reinstalling my apps. Shortly thereafter, the system started
going haywire again. Locking up with no entry in the system or
application event log. I had 4 GB of memory in it, so I took out one
stick, and ran WinDiag on it for something like 26 hous with no
errors
found, then I ran MEMTEST86 on it for 49 hours with no errors found.
Confident the problem wasn't memory, I started over again. Formatted
the drive, reinstalled Windows, and let that burn in for 2 days.
Everything was hunky-dory. Once again, reinstalled the rest of my
apps, and let Microsoft Update bring everything back up to date.
Everything was cool for about 3 days, then the system started going
nuts on me again. Locking up, and giving me BSODs. The last one I
captured had stop error
0x0000007F(0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000,0x0000 0000). Trying to
boot using safe mode, I kept seeing the system would reboot right
after mup.sys loaded. Researching this pointed to power supply as a
potential problem. I have a Power & Cooling 750W PSU that is less
than
6 months old, but I went ahead and bought a brand new Rosewill 750W
PSU that came highly recommended on NewEgg. Tonight, I swapped the
PSUs out, and I still can't get Windows to boot. I ran the repair
console, ran CHKDSK /R. It took forever, said that it found some
errors and fixed them. When I attempted to reboot the system, it went
to a BSOD, which flashed by so quickly I couldn't read it. Then it
went into a reboot loop that I could only stop by powering down. What
do I do now?

My system (all new within the last 6 months):
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual 6000+
3 GB RAM, DDR2, Single Channel
Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H MoBo
System drive: Maxtor 300 GB IDE (100GB boot partition, 200GB other
drive)
Second drive: Seagate Barracuda 500 GB SATA drive
eVGA GeForce 8500GT PCIExpress video card, 512 MB RAM
NetGear G311 Gigabit Ethernet card

And no, this is a pure beige-box system, installing Windows the old
fashioned way and not from some sysprep CD, so I'm not subject to the
issue with the Intel power management file hosing AMD systems.

Re: XP Pro System is hosed
e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.

.. US:

.. CA:

.. UK:

.. AU:

.. Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3

WinXP-specific newsgroup: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Pat Whitted '82 wrote:
> Ever since XP SP3 came out, my system has been hosed...

realcestmoi

Re: XP Pro System is hosed
Hi there,

The error number you are giving is usually caused by a hardware error.

Checking your memory I would start with, memtest is okay but you should
check one module at a time only about a 20 cycles per module should verify
as error free.

A defect mainboard or overclocking a component can also be the issue.

A divide by zero is caused when a DIV instruction is executed and the
divisor is 0. Memory corruption (or other hardware problems) or software
failures can cause this.

Check this article it might be of any assistance.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/137539/en-us

Good luck and best regards,
Michel Denie