Update confused about sliverlight install

frankdn

Update confused about sliverlight install
XP pro SP3 on a Dell D830; autoupdate activated.

I keep getting reminded to install "Update for Microsoft Silverlight 1.0
(KB951213)."

I accept the install and the installation appears to complete without error
(I get the 'installation complete' dialog). The next time I boot, the whole
process happens again.

Either the installation is quietly failing in some way that is not
recognized as a failure, or else whatever registry/database/log record that
is used to maintain a record of what's been installed is not being updated
correctly.

Maincat

Re: Update confused about sliverlight install

"frankdn" <frankdn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> XP pro SP3 on a Dell D830; autoupdate activated.
>
> I keep getting reminded to install "Update for Microsoft Silverlight 1.0
> (KB951213)."
>
> I accept the install and the installation appears to complete without
> error
> (I get the 'installation complete' dialog). The next time I boot, the
> whole
> process happens again.
>
> Either the installation is quietly failing in some way that is not
> recognized as a failure, or else whatever registry/database/log record
> that
> is used to maintain a record of what's been installed is not being updated
> correctly.

Install it manually from http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/

Harry Johnston [MVP]

frankdn wrote:

> XP pro SP3 on a Dell D830; autoupdate activated.
>
> I keep getting reminded to install "Update for Microsoft Silverlight 1.0
> (KB951213)."
>
> I accept the install and the installation appears to complete without error
> (I get the 'installation complete' dialog). The next time I boot, the whole
> process happens again.
>
> Either the installation is quietly failing in some way that is not
> recognized as a failure,

The Silverlight packages contain a bug which means they don't notice if the
installation fails. I've reported this to Microsoft.

One possible cause of the installation failure: do you have a substituted drive
letter assigned?

Try installing via the "Install updates and shut down" option.

Harry.
frankdn

Re: Update confused about sliverlight install
Harry and Maincat, Thanks for your quick replies.

I have tried both your suggestions, i.e. doing a manual install from Windows
Update and by clicking 'install updates and shut down'. No joy, Upon next
reboot, I'll get another autoupdate reminder to install.

BTW, Windows Update also tells me to download & install the package. Again,
same result: installation appears to succeed and yet it hasn't.

>The Silverlight packages contain a bug which means they don't notice if the

installation fails

Aha, that's probably it. I was waiting for another update to happen along
so as to test whether the problem was with this one update, or was more
general.

thanks!
Harry Johnston [MVP]

frankdn wrote:

> I have tried both your suggestions, i.e. doing a manual install from Windows
> Update [...]

Don't use Windows Update. Go to the Silverlight site as Maincat suggested, and
click on "Install" (near the top right-hand corner). It should present a page
telling you that you don't have the latest version, and a link to the latest
version.

<http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/>

If that still doesn't work, try uninstalling Silverlight from Add/Remove
Programs, rebooting, then going to the Silverlight web site to install it again.

Harry.
Cliff

RE: Update confused about sliverlight install
I used the Windows Install Cleanup utility and deleted Silverlight. Then I
downloaded Silverlight again,via Auto Updates, and it worked fine. I ran
Auto Updates again after the install of silverlight just to verify it did not
want to install again. No more repeat installs, Everything seems to be fine.

"frankdn" wrote:

> XP pro SP3 on a Dell D830; autoupdate activated.
>
> I keep getting reminded to install "Update for Microsoft Silverlight 1.0
> (KB951213)."
>
> I accept the install and the installation appears to complete without error
> (I get the 'installation complete' dialog). The next time I boot, the whole
> process happens again.
>
> Either the installation is quietly failing in some way that is not
> recognized as a failure, or else whatever registry/database/log record that
> is used to maintain a record of what's been installed is not being updated
> correctly.

augieo2

RE: Update confused about sliverlight install
I found that the reason for the failures on Silverlight update was due to the
fact that my Processor does not support the SSE instruction set. Update just
kept installing but would never run. This was discovered when I removed
Silverlight via add / remove and then re-installed from the website. It gave
me the error that my processor was not supported. Nothing up to this point
indicated any such thing. Update had been installing daily for several weeks
without error.

"Cliff" wrote:

> I used the Windows Install Cleanup utility and deleted Silverlight. Then I
> downloaded Silverlight again,via Auto Updates, and it worked fine. I ran
> Auto Updates again after the install of silverlight just to verify it did not
> want to install again. No more repeat installs, Everything seems to be fine.
>
> "frankdn" wrote:
>
> > XP pro SP3 on a Dell D830; autoupdate activated.
> >
> > I keep getting reminded to install "Update for Microsoft Silverlight 1.0
> > (KB951213)."
> >
> > I accept the install and the installation appears to complete without error
> > (I get the 'installation complete' dialog). The next time I boot, the whole
> > process happens again.
> >
> > Either the installation is quietly failing in some way that is not
> > recognized as a failure, or else whatever registry/database/log record that
> > is used to maintain a record of what's been installed is not being updated
> > correctly.

ajc

RE: Update confused about sliverlight install
I too have noted the *slient* failure of Microsoft Update to install
Silverlight for some time, certainly *weeks* probably months, and just
noticed this posting.

In my case a manual install also fails indicating lack of the SSE
instruction set. Fair enough.

What I don't understand is why MS have not updated the MS Update
prerequisites so that MS Update doesn't repeatedly offer Silverlight on a
system lacking the SSE instruction set?

Does anyone from MS even scan these threads? If so why don't they take
ownership?

"augieo2" wrote:

> I found that the reason for the failures on Silverlight update was due to the
> fact that my Processor does not support the SSE instruction set. Update just
> kept installing but would never run. This was discovered when I removed
> Silverlight via add / remove and then re-installed from the website. It gave
> me the error that my processor was not supported. Nothing up to this point
> indicated any such thing. Update had been installing daily for several weeks
> without error.
>
> "Cliff" wrote:
>
> > I used the Windows Install Cleanup utility and deleted Silverlight. Then I
> > downloaded Silverlight again,via Auto Updates, and it worked fine. I ran
> > Auto Updates again after the install of silverlight just to verify it did not
> > want to install again. No more repeat installs, Everything seems to be fine.
> >
> > "frankdn" wrote:
> >
> > > XP pro SP3 on a Dell D830; autoupdate activated.
> > >
> > > I keep getting reminded to install "Update for Microsoft Silverlight 1.0
> > > (KB951213)."
> > >
> > > I accept the install and the installation appears to complete without error
> > > (I get the 'installation complete' dialog). The next time I boot, the whole
> > > process happens again.
> > >
> > > Either the installation is quietly failing in some way that is not
> > > recognized as a failure, or else whatever registry/database/log record that
> > > is used to maintain a record of what's been installed is not being updated
> > > correctly.

mechcircle

Re: Update confused about sliverlight install

I have been receiving a silverlight update for several months -
KB951213.

Does anyone know if MS intend fixing the silverlight update problem?

Thanks

--
mechcircle
mechcircle's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?u=53155