Windows Update fails to install & No Error Message

AlohaMahalo

Windows Update fails to install & No Error Message
OS: Win XP Pro SP3

When trying to install custom Windows Updates, they always fail to install
and there is absoultely no error message. Also, when reviewing my update
history, the updates that failed to install don't even show up in the list!

Is there a way to 'reset' windows update, I have heard of a procedure where
a file needs to be deleted or something similar.

Thank you in advance for any feedback/suggestion
Eddie Bowers [MSFT]

RE: Windows Update fails to install & No Error Message
There is probably an error in your windowsupdate.log (in your windows
directory).

Eddie Bowers
Security Support
Microsoft Corporation

AlohaMahalo

RE: Windows Update fails to install & No Error Message
Thank you for the feedback, however I don't know how to proceed with that
information. What are the required steps to resolve this issue? Is there an
existing knowledgebase article that gives you that information?

Thank you.

"Eddie Bowers [MSFT]" wrote:

> There is probably an error in your windowsupdate.log (in your windows
> directory).
>
> Eddie Bowers
> Security Support
> Microsoft Corporation

Re: Windows Update fails to install & No Error Message
CrystalBall© sez...

Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP
installation:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

NB: Also applies to clean installs, upgrade installs, and Recovery installs.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

AlohaMahalo wrote:
> OS: Win XP Pro SP3
>
> When trying to install custom Windows Updates, they always fail to install
> and there is absoultely no error message. Also, when reviewing my update
> history, the updates that failed to install don't even show up in the
> list!
>
> Is there a way to 'reset' windows update, I have heard of a procedure
> where
> a file needs to be deleted or something similar.
>
> Thank you in advance for any feedback/suggestion

Robert Aldwinckle

"AlohaMahalo" <AlohaMahalo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thank you for the feedback, however I don't know how to proceed with that
> information. What are the required steps to resolve this issue? Is there an
> existing knowledgebase article that gives you that information?

Try a search?

<title>How to read the Windowsupdate.log file</title>
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

(Live Search for
intitle:windowsupdate.log site:support.microsoft.com
)

---

> Thank you.
>
> "Eddie Bowers [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> There is probably an error in your windowsupdate.log (in your windows
>> directory).
>>
>> Eddie Bowers
>> Security Support
>> Microsoft Corporation
>>
>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Eddie Bowers [MSFT]

RE: Windows Update fails to install & No Error Message
Sorry, we need more information to determine the cause. The error you are
getting in the windowsupdat.log is going to tell us a lot more.
You can open it with notepad and go to the end and work your way up. You
will probably see the same error code over and over again. Thats what we
need.

Eddie Bowers
Security Support
Microsoft Corporation

Re: Windows Update fails to install & No Error Message
And you're replying to...?