XP SP3

BogusBoy

XP SP3
I am trying to install SP3 on my xp machine... An error message keeps
comming up that I do not have enough space on my E: drive. Is there an
installation switch to instruct the install package to use my boot C: drive?
There is plenty of space there.

Shenan Stanley

Re: XP SP3
BogusBoy wrote:
> I am trying to install SP3 on my xp machine... An error message
> keeps comming up that I do not have enough space on my E: drive.
> Is there an installation switch to instruct the install package to
> use my boot C: drive? There is plenty of space there.

Please explain your setup in more detail - I have no idea why SP3 would be
concerned with anything other than your System Drive space - unless you
saved the file to E: and are trying to run it FROM E: and E does not have
enough space to extract the contents for you...

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

BogusBoy

Re: XP SP3
I have a Mac DualBooted into Windows. All software is loaded on the system
drive C:. I am not using E: for anything (it looks unformated to Windows).

All previously installed updates work fine.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> BogusBoy wrote:
> > I am trying to install SP3 on my xp machine... An error message
> > keeps comming up that I do not have enough space on my E: drive.
> > Is there an installation switch to instruct the install package to
> > use my boot C: drive? There is plenty of space there.

> Please explain your setup in more detail - I have no idea why SP3 would be
> concerned with anything other than your System Drive space - unless you
> saved the file to E: and are trying to run it FROM E: and E does not have
> enough space to extract the contents for you...
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Re: XP SP3
0x8007F003 STATUS_NOT_ENOUGH_SPACE
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949385
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

BogusBoy wrote:
> I am trying to install SP3 on my xp machine... An error message keeps
> comming up that I do not have enough space on my E: drive. Is there an
> installation switch to instruct the install package to use my boot C:
> drive?
> There is plenty of space there.

BogusBoy

Re: XP SP3
This does not help because there is plenty of space on my system boot drive
C:. Setup wants to use an windows formatted drive that is not in use.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> 0x8007F003 STATUS_NOT_ENOUGH_SPACE
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949385
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> BogusBoy wrote:
> > I am trying to install SP3 on my xp machine... An error message keeps
> > comming up that I do not have enough space on my E: drive. Is there an
> > installation switch to instruct the install package to use my boot C:
> > drive?
> > There is plenty of space there.

Re: XP SP3
Did you run Disk Cleanup? Did you open a free support incident?

e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.

• US:

• CA:

• UK:

• AU:

• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3

BogusBoy wrote:
> This does not help because there is plenty of space on my system boot
> drive
> C:. Setup wants to use an windows formatted drive that is not in use.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> 0x8007F003 STATUS_NOT_ENOUGH_SPACE
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949385
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> BogusBoy wrote:
>>> I am trying to install SP3 on my xp machine... An error message keeps
>>> comming up that I do not have enough space on my E: drive. Is there an
>>> installation switch to instruct the install package to use my boot C:
>>> drive?
>>> There is plenty of space there.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: XP SP3
"BogusBoy" <BogusBoy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to install SP3 on my xp machine... An error message keeps
> comming up that I do not have enough space on my E: drive.

> Is there an installation switch to instruct the install package to use my boot C: drive?

Nothing documented that I know of. This looks like a long-standing
problem of WU which I would have hoped could have been fixed by now.
What apparently happens is that WU/AU grabs the biggest free area
it can find for temporary use, neglecting to consider whether the user
has any permissions to use a different drive or add directories on it, etc.

Is it a network drive? Perhaps you can detach it?
Or if you do have permission to use it but just don't want WU
using it, create a dummy file big enough so it isn't so tempting
for it to use? <EG>

> There is plenty of space there.

But not as much as there is on E: right? ; )

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: XP SP3
BogusBoy wrote:

> I am trying to install SP3 on my xp machine... An error message keeps
> comming up that I do not have enough space on my E: drive.

I believe the following procedure will work, but I can't make any promises.
This doesn't appear to be documented. If you are uncertain, you should
seriously consider taking advantage of the free technical support available for
SP3 installation (see PA Bear's post about this). Make *absolutely certain*
that you have all of your data backed up to external media before you start.

Download the full SP3 executable from the download center if you don't already
have it:

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5b33b5a8-5e76-401f-be08-1e1555d4f3d4&displaylang=en>

Make sure you've reviewed the article, "Steps to take before you install Windows
XP Service Pack 3":

<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717/>

Run the executable from the command line as follows:

WINDOWSXP-KB936929-SP3-X86-ENU /extract

Specify the folder to extract to, e.g., c:\sp3

Once extraction has finished, open the folder, open the i386 folder inside it,
find and open the update folder inside that. Run update.exe.

Harry.
Shenan Stanley

Re: XP SP3
BogusBoy wrote:
> I have a Mac DualBooted into Windows. All software is loaded on
> the system drive C:. I am not using E: for anything (it looks
> unformated to Windows).
>
> All previously installed updates work fine.

Using Bootcamp?
http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...windowsxp.html

--
Shenan Stanley