ERROR: CODE 57E

frenchyinpaddyland

ERROR: CODE 57E
Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Junk Email Filter (KB950380)

Installation date: ‎15/‎05/‎2008 11:21

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 57E

Update type: Important

This update provides the Junk E-mail Filter in Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
with a more current definition of which e-mail messages should be considered
junk e-mail.

More information:

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com/?LN=en-us
Security Update for Microsoft Office Word 2003 (KB950241)

Installation date: ‎15/‎05/‎2008 11:21

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 57E

Update type: Important

A security vulnerability exists in Microsoft Office Word 2003 that could
allow arbitrary code to run when a maliciously modified file is opened. This
update resolves that vulnerability.

More information:

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com/?LN=en-us
Has any body any idea what is code "57E" when installing those two update ...
tried 10 times always the same result
an answer will be welcome
thank you
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: ERROR: CODE 57E
<cmd_output OS="XPsp2">
E:\>set /a c = 0x57E
1406
E:\>net helpmsg %c%

Cannot create a top-level child window.
</cmd_output>

Try searching for 1406?

---

"frenchyinpaddyland" <frenchyinpaddyland@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Junk Email Filter (KB950380)
>
> Installation date: ‎15/‎05/‎2008 11:21
>
> Installation status: Failed
>
> Error details: Code 57E
>
> Update type: Important
>
> This update provides the Junk E-mail Filter in Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
> with a more current definition of which e-mail messages should be considered
> junk e-mail.
>
> More information:
>
> Help and Support:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?LN=en-us
> Security Update for Microsoft Office Word 2003 (KB950241)
>
> Installation date: ‎15/‎05/‎2008 11:21
>
> Installation status: Failed
>
> Error details: Code 57E
>
> Update type: Important
>
> A security vulnerability exists in Microsoft Office Word 2003 that could
> allow arbitrary code to run when a maliciously modified file is opened. This
> update resolves that vulnerability.
>
> More information:
>
> Help and Support:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?LN=en-us
> Has any body any idea what is code "57E" when installing those two update ...
> tried 10 times always the same result
> an answer will be welcome
> thank you

Re: ERROR: CODE 57E
The concensus in previous threads seems to be that the error 57E points to a
permissions issue. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838687
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

frenchyinpaddyland wrote:
> Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Junk Email Filter (KB950380)
>
> Installation date: ‎15/‎05/‎2008 11:21
>
> Installation status: Failed
>
> Error details: Code 57E
>
> Update type: Important
>
> This update provides the Junk E-mail Filter in Microsoft Office Outlook
> 2003
> with a more current definition of which e-mail messages should be
> considered
> junk e-mail.
>
> More information:
>
> Help and Support:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?LN=en-us
> Security Update for Microsoft Office Word 2003 (KB950241)
>
> Installation date: ‎15/‎05/‎2008 11:21
>
> Installation status: Failed
>
> Error details: Code 57E
>
> Update type: Important
>
> A security vulnerability exists in Microsoft Office Word 2003 that could
> allow arbitrary code to run when a maliciously modified file is opened.
> This
> update resolves that vulnerability.
>
> More information:
>
> Help and Support:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?LN=en-us
> Has any body any idea what is code "57E" when installing those two update
> ... tried 10 times always the same result
> an answer will be welcome
> thank you

frenchyinpaddyland

Re: ERROR: CODE 57E

Thank you for taking the time answering my question..unfortunatly the link
you give in your answer does not apply as there is nothing about a solution
with Vista on it.
I do not get any message when I try to install those two update ..just..."
faile and code 57E.."
I even went to the link given in the message with the failed notice and
nothing ..I do not understand ..I am the only one to use this PC... it has
only my account as administrator and the only other account is the " ASP
NET. Machone account".....
so I do not understand.
could some body explain please thank you..I even tried to install a program
that a friend gave me (Microsoft Publisher 2002) and there again i was refuse
the installation as apparently I do not have the permission
any suggestion will more than welcome

Re: ERROR: CODE 57E
I assume you're replying to me. [To keep track of things, it helps
immensely if you include all of previous message(s) in your replies to the
newsgroup. Thank you.]

Were we supposed to intuit that you're running Vista?

Although it contains no references to Vista,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838687 still applies.

That being said, try inserting your Office 2003 CD in the appropriate drive
before attempting to install the updates via Windows Update or manually
using the following links:

Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Junk Email Filter (KB950380):
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...8-977C6544BF69

Security Update for Microsoft Office Word 2003 (KB950241):
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...F-744CA847E14C

frenchyinpaddyland wrote:
> Thank you for taking the time answering my question..unfortunatly the link
> you give in your answer does not apply as there is nothing about a
> solution
> with Vista on it.
> I do not get any message when I try to install those two update ..just..."
> faile and code 57E.."
> I even went to the link given in the message with the failed notice and
> nothing ..I do not understand ..I am the only one to use this PC... it has
> only my account as administrator and the only other account is the " ASP
> NET. Machone account".....
> so I do not understand.
> could some body explain please thank you..I even tried to install a
> program
> that a friend gave me (Microsoft Publisher 2002) and there again i was
> refuse the installation as apparently I do not have the permission
> any suggestion will more than welcome

<paste>
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> The concensus in previous threads seems to be that the error 57E points to
> permissions issue. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838687
>
> frenchyinpaddyland wrote:
>> Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Junk Email Filter (KB950380)
>>
>> Installation date: ‎15/‎05/‎2008 11:21
>>
>> Installation status: Failed
>>
>> Error details: Code 57E
>>
>> Update type: Important
>>
>> This update provides the Junk E-mail Filter in Microsoft Office Outlook
>> 2003
>> with a more current definition of which e-mail messages should be
>> considered
>> junk e-mail.
>>
>> More information:
>>
>> Help and Support:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?LN=en-us
>> Security Update for Microsoft Office Word 2003 (KB950241)
>>
>> Installation date: ‎15/‎05/‎2008 11:21
>>
>> Installation status: Failed
>>
>> Error details: Code 57E
>>
>> Update type: Important
>>
>> A security vulnerability exists in Microsoft Office Word 2003 that could
>> allow arbitrary code to run when a maliciously modified file is opened.
>> This
>> update resolves that vulnerability.
>>
>> More information:
>>
>> Help and Support:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?LN=en-us
>> Has any body any idea what is code "57E" when installing those two update
>> ... tried 10 times always the same result
>> an answer will be welcome
>> thank you

frenchyinpaddyland

Re: ERROR: CODE 57E

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> I assume you're replying to me. [To keep track of things, it helps
> immensely if you include all of previous message(s) in your replies to the
> newsgroup. Thank you.]
>
> Were we supposed to intuit that you're running Vista?
>
> Although it contains no references to Vista,
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838687 still applies.
>
> That being said, try inserting your Office 2003 CD in the appropriate drive
> before attempting to install the updates via Windows Update or manually
> using the following links:
>
> Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Junk Email Filter (KB950380):
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...8-977C6544BF69
>
> Security Update for Microsoft Office Word 2003 (KB950241):
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...F-744CA847E14C
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

>well thank you for getting back so fast ..I did what you suggested but to no avail this time I got error code 1406....went to the first link you gave me in your first reply and at error 1406 it says to desable Webroot software and click retry ...still nothing ...strange ...it seems to be important update and cannot install any of the two..

I do not understand ...
would you have another solution
thank you very much

Re: ERROR: CODE 57E
frenchyinpaddyland wrote:
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> I assume you're replying to me. [To keep track of things, it helps
>> immensely if you include all of previous message(s) in your replies to
>> the
>> newsgroup. Thank you.]
>>
>> Were we supposed to intuit that you're running Vista?
>>
>> Although it contains no references to Vista,
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838687 still applies.
>>
>> That being said, try inserting your Office 2003 CD in the appropriate
>> drive
>> before attempting to install the updates via Windows Update or manually
>> using the following links:
>>
>> Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Junk Email Filter (KB950380):
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...8-977C6544BF69
>>
>> Security Update for Microsoft Office Word 2003 (KB950241):
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...F-744CA847E14C
>> --

> well thank you for getting back so fast ..I did what you suggested but to
> no avail this time I got error code 1406....went to the first link you
> gave me in your first reply and at error 1406 it says to desable Webroot
> software and click retry ...still nothing ...strange ...it seems to be
> important update and cannot install any of the two..
> I do not understand ...
>
> would you have another solution
> thank you very much

(if any)?

Do you have your Office 2003 CD?

Is Vista very new to you? Did you upgrade to Vista? Can you tell me if
Vista SP1 is installed?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> frenchyinpaddyland wrote:
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> I assume you're replying to me. [To keep track of things, it helps
> >> immensely if you include all of previous message(s) in your replies to
> >> the
> >> newsgroup. Thank you.]
> >>
> >> Were we supposed to intuit that you're running Vista?
> >>
> >> Although it contains no references to Vista,
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838687 still applies.
> >>
> >> That being said, try inserting your Office 2003 CD in the appropriate
> >> drive
> >> before attempting to install the updates via Windows Update or manually
> >> using the following links:
> >>
> >> Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Junk Email Filter (KB950380):
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...8-977C6544BF69
> >>
> >> Security Update for Microsoft Office Word 2003 (KB950241):
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...F-744CA847E14C
> >> --

> > well thank you for getting back so fast ..I did what you suggested but to
> > no avail this time I got error code 1406....went to the first link you
> > gave me in your first reply and at error 1406 it says to desable Webroot
> > software and click retry ...still nothing ...strange ...it seems to be
> > important update and cannot install any of the two..
> > I do not understand ...
> >
> > would you have another solution
> > thank you very much

> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? What
> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall
> (if any)?
>
> Do you have your Office 2003 CD?
>
> Is Vista very new to you? Did you upgrade to Vista? Can you tell me if
> Vista SP1 is installed?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Hello Robert,

once again thank you for taking time in following this problem.
My anti-virus and firewall are from CA( Computer Associates) and it is the
"Internet Security Suite 2008,and I also have Webroot Spy Sweeper installed.
As for Vista I build my own pc and installed Vista from scratch (XP was on
the old PC but not using it any more).
Yes Microsoft update installed Vista SP1.
And Finally I still have the CD of Microsoft Office Student and Teacher
Edition 2003.
I do not know if it is agood idea but I was going to try to install those
update as well as the other Program(Microsoft Publisher 2002) in safe mode
...but I better wait for your answer before doing this
thanks again

Re: ERROR: CODE 57E

frenchyinpaddyland wrote:

>>> well thank you for getting back so fast ..I did what you suggested but
>>> no avail this time I got error code 1406....went to the first link you
>>> gave me in your first reply and at error 1406 it says to desable Webroot
>>> software and click retry ...still nothing ...strange ...it seems to be
>>> important update and cannot install any of the two..
>>> I do not understand ...
>>>
>>> would you have another solution
>>> thank you very much

>> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? What
>> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party
>> firewall
>> (if any)?
>>
>> Do you have your Office 2003 CD?
>>
>> Is Vista very new to you? Did you upgrade to Vista? Can you tell me if
>> Vista SP1 is installed?
>> --

> Hello Robert,
> once again thank you for taking time in following this problem.
> My anti-virus and firewall are from CA( Computer Associates) and it is
> the
> "Internet Security Suite 2008,and I also have Webroot Spy Sweeper
> installed.
> As for Vista I build my own pc and installed Vista from scratch (XP was on
> the old PC but not using it any more).
> Yes Microsoft update installed Vista SP1.
> And Finally I still have the CD of Microsoft Office Student and Teacher
> Edition 2003.
> I do not know if it is agood idea but I was going to try to install those
> update as well as the other Program(Microsoft Publisher 2002) in safe mode
> ..but I better wait for your answer before doing this
> thanks again

[It's "Robear", please.]

Have you tried putting the Office 2003 CD into the appropriate bay before
attempting to install these two (2) updates?

It shouldn't be necessary to install these two (2) updates in Safe Mode but
it's certainly worth a shot if all else fails. If the real-time protections
afforded by CA Internet Security and Spysweeper are interfering in normal
mode, installing in Safe Mode should disable them.

Tip: Configure CA Anti-Virus not to monitor or scan C:\Windows\Software
Distribution <=this folder.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Peter Foldes

Re: ERROR: CODE 57E
Most people had success with this error code 57A by inserting the Office install CD in their CD\DVD Rom while installing and also by disabling their Anti Virus and Security suites while the installation takes place while being OFF Line. After a successful install make sure you re-able your AV and Security programs before going on line again.

--
Peter